LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

do i need tuning on my heads and cam lt1? it is running like crap.please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default do i need tuning on my heads and cam lt1? it is running like crap.please Help!

i have a 95 lt1 with stage 2 heads and cc306 cam and full bolt-ons stock intake and TB ... i just finished it but i dosent feel like a low 12s second car or an ls1 killer .. it has a stock PCM no tuning what so ever ,,
some people have told me that the car should run good even if it hasent been tuned, but other people have told me that if it is not tuned it will run like **** and crapy..... im wondering if it was tuned would it run better and idle better and everything else better?????/
-below ill put all the things that are on the car

-slp headers
-stage 2 heads
-cc306
-1.6 rr
-cold air
-crank pulley
-borla cat-back
-msd 6al and wires
-NGK plugs
-lt4 knock module
-stock intake and TB
-SVO blue injectors
need help so if anyone can fill me in i would be very thankfull because im lossing pations and fate in my LT1 ......

ROGER IN TEXAS
Old 02-20-2004, 11:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the CC306 requires tuning to be effective.
until the car is tuned the PCM will go into "Limp" Mode and pull timing like crazy.
This makes the car run like crap.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's running like **** because the computer doesn't recognize the increased flow of the injectors. If you change the settings it will run decent without a tune but not great.
Old 02-20-2004, 04:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 94Formula/TA
It's running like **** because the computer doesn't recognize the increased flow of the injectors. If you change the settings it will run decent without a tune but not great.
Exactly. Stock injectors are 24#/hour. If you put in something that's only a little bigger, say 30#/hour, you're throwing off your computer's calculations by a factor of 30/24 - i.e., it's dumping in 125% of the fuel it should be at any given time. Your car is running really rich. Not good for power at all. You can swap your stock injectors back in and it should be substantially more drivable. I don't reccommend flooring it or otherwise putting the motor under high load, though, because with the mods you have you'll probably max out your injectors and fry your motor. Not cool either. At cruising speeds / low rpm, it would probably be fine, though.

Quick Reply: do i need tuning on my heads and cam lt1? it is running like crap.please Help!