LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

exhaust gasket mystery

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 03:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust gasket mystery

so camaro has an exhaust leak at the head or collector. Not entirely sure which but gonna do both. The problem is it has edelbrock shorties and i have not a clue what gasket they use on the collector. i would take em off and look but im in wy and the car is in az. So any1 know if its a standard 3 bolt 2 bolt, a donut kind or something else? its a 97 btw. thanks all
Old 04-14-2011, 05:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by countryson47
so camaro has an exhaust leak at the head or collector. Not entirely sure which but gonna do both. The problem is it has edelbrock shorties and i have not a clue what gasket they use on the collector. i would take em off and look but im in wy and the car is in az. So any1 know if its a standard 3 bolt 2 bolt, a donut kind or something else? its a 97 btw. thanks all
IIRC, they don't use a gasket.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:24 AM
Village Troll

Received 543 Likes on 392 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I believe they use the stock donut gasket. Those headers are designed to bolt up to the stock y-pipe.
Regarding leaks, a collector leak sounds far different than a leak from the head/header gasket. A leak from the head will have a tick whereas, depending on how bad the collector leak, will sound more like a 'woosh.'
Old 04-14-2011, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im pretty dead set on its a collector leak by the way its sounds, its bad enough its messing with her 02. But better safe than sorry and do em all, replace plugs while they're off, maybe wires. Any suggestions, recomandations on gaskets?

Quick Reply: exhaust gasket mystery