LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Should I Worry?.. (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011 | 10:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Default Should I Worry?.. (pics)

My Oil drive gear got whiped out from it having 182K miles on it and trying to push some thick oil. I pulled it out today and saw it marked up the cam gear alittle. Its a full billet cam that i got from LE with around 8k miles on it. Should i worry about the cam gear messing up the new oil pump drive gear? Im going to find a GM drive gear unit, hopefully thatll hold up.

Pics.

Old 04-17-2011 | 10:28 PM
10 Second Club

You'll be fine. Just went through this on a friends car. It has a cast cc306 in it and it took all the drive teeth completely off. I bought just the drive gear from oriellys (just had them look one up for a 96 chevy pickup) it was made by borgwarner.

We put it in, along with a magnetic drain plug and it has been fine ever since, oil is clean and we havent had a problem with the cam as long as having great oil pressure.
Old 04-17-2011 | 10:56 PM
10 Second Club

89032LUN for an everwear drive gear from Lunati.
Old 04-17-2011 | 11:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Yep like Steve says...Also that sux bro..
Like I said I have a GM drive if you want it. Send me ur addy
Old 04-18-2011 | 04:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

This is like the 3rd or 4th time I've seen an oil pump drive gear worn away when using an LE billet grind. What's going on here?
Old 04-18-2011 | 06:38 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
This is like the 3rd or 4th time I've seen an oil pump drive gear worn away when using an LE billet grind. What's going on here?
I think its more the high mileage gear that does it. I used a stock 145k mile drive gear when I had my hotcam in (they're billet as well) and when I pulled that cam out the drive gear was paper thin and ready to go as well.
Old 04-18-2011 | 06:45 AM
TECH Regular

a friend of mine had the same happen to him , his fix lolol. was he took a vortec dist and drilled the lt4 mani for the dist and put the dist in there as a oil pump drive lol . it has been like that for 3 yrs with not 1 problem
Old 04-18-2011 | 09:50 AM
TECH Junkie

thans for the replies guys. And thanks steve for tha part # ill be ordering that tonight. D you think ill be fine with my stock bearing? id love to replace that while im at it. even tho it spins nicely and has no play
Old 04-18-2011 | 10:38 AM
TECH Veteran
15 Year Member

OP.
Do you have a newer Bullet ground billet cam or one of the older Comp ground billet cams?
Old 04-18-2011 | 01:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by wrd1972
OP.
Do you have a newer Bullet ground billet cam or one of the older Comp ground billet cams?
the cam is alittle over a year old. It was custom ground by bullet cams through LE
Old 04-18-2011 | 01:16 PM
TECH Veteran
15 Year Member

I have the older Comp ground LE1 cam and I have maybe 10K -12K on it with standard flow pump. I inspected the oil pump drive last year and it only showed light surface wear to the faces on the tooth that many I am sure would call normal. I recently looked at my original drive gear from the 60K stock motor and it showed a bit less tooth surface wear than the current one.

The wierd thing is I am still getting numerous very fine ferrous particles in the oil filter after each oil change. I was geting some wear on the old push rod guide plates but those have been removed and replaced by new Isky ones of much better quality. I am confident the particles were coming from either the guide plates or the oil pump drive gear.
Old 04-18-2011 | 03:54 PM
10 Second Club

Why are people not running the lunati everwear piece? It's 50 dollars shipped to your door, can't beat that. I just got mine today from quik95lt1, looks great
Old 04-18-2011 | 06:09 PM
TECH Junkie

I have the older Comp ground LE1 cam and I have maybe 10K -12K on it with standard flow pump. I inspected the oil pump drive last year and it only showed light surface wear to the faces on the tooth that many I am sure would call normal. I recently looked at my original drive gear from the 60K stock motor and it showed a bit less tooth surface wear than the current one.

The wierd thing is I am still getting numerous very fine ferrous particles in the oil filter after each oil change. I was geting some wear on the old push rod guide plates but those have been removed and replaced by new Isky ones of much better quality. I am confident the particles were coming from either the guide plates or the oil pump drive gear.
I dont have any debris in the oil or anywhere through the engine. Im sure if i were to pull down my oil pan i would find some pieces stuck to my neodymium magnets that i have down there.

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
Why are people not running the lunati everwear piece? It's 50 dollars shipped to your door, can't beat that. I just got mine today from quik95lt1, looks great
That is a good question. Ill be ordering one of these when i get home. Idk if i should put it on the stock holder tho. There isnt any play in the bearing and it turns smooth as silk.

I just pulled my valve train off and so far everything looks to be in perfectly normal shape. Im going to pull the rear 4 lifters apart to inspect and see if theirs any metal shavings inside. If not im going to let them sit in oil until i put it back together again.
Old 04-18-2011 | 09:19 PM
TECH Veteran
15 Year Member

I am going to be pulling my drive stub soon to install your bracket and I might go ahead and throw the gear on at the same time. But first I will do an in-depth examination of the current drive vs. the original one from the stock motor.
Old 04-18-2011 | 10:59 PM
TECH Junkie

I am going to be pulling my drive stub soon to install your bracket and I might go ahead and throw the gear on at the same time. But first I will do an in-depth examination of the current drive vs. the original one from the stock motor.
From what ive read, the everwear piece will last Awhile. Thus why I ordered mine from summit just now. This next day air shipping prices are going to kill me

Ill be much happier when the engines back together and running. Hopefully with good oil pressure! Im going to be installing a little oil psi guage to where the sending unit screws in at the back of the block. That way when i prime the oil pump i can know for sure that i am making pressure.

I pulled apart the valve train after work today. Everything seemed to check out in good order. There was only one thing that really irked me. My intake manifold was Filled with oil! IDK where it came from, i mean i have 2 water separators in line with my PCV valve. I dont have any pictures to illustrate it, but take my word on it.... it was BAD... i left my intake on a table on one side and when i went to move it afew minutes later there was a big puddle of oil under it. Im wondering if i have some sort of vacuum leak....... hmmmm
Old 04-18-2011 | 11:01 PM
TECH Veteran

I ordered one at the same time I ordered the top saver piece .
Old 04-19-2011 | 09:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Puck
I ordered one at the same time I ordered the top saver piece .
same here! hopefully now i wont have to worry anymore about it
Old 04-19-2011 | 09:54 AM
11 Second Club

Another example of someone trying to save a little money up front and ends up costing more in the long run.

"All of our grinds utilize the vastly superior 8620 Induction Hardened Billet Steel cores found in all forms of serious competition. Additionally, all of our Billet core custom grinds are automatically upgraded to a premium EverWear distributor/pump drive gear. Not only is the EverWear gear precision machined to significantly tighter tolerances, it is also case hardened with a proprietary nitriding process. Compared to commonly available cams ground on the cheaper cast cores, these features translate into improved reliability. This is especially true where heavy weight oils, higher volume/pressure pumps, and various aftermarket distributor gears are used."
Old 04-19-2011 | 10:11 AM
9 Second Club

dizzy stub for you means real dizzy for me!!!! no more optiiiii!!!!!!!!
Old 04-19-2011 | 11:36 AM
TECH Veteran
15 Year Member

Your selling these everwear Lunati drive gears for $50.00 shipped? If so whats your paypal?

Quick Reply: Should I Worry?.. (pics)