LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Finally some track times out of or EFI connections set-up

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 12:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The 306 is not a good cam for a stock headed, stock cube car that wants to only spin to 6300 rpms. This is none of those things.

On a better dialed in build with much better heads and more cubes, it does surprisingly well for what it is - an aging, lazy lobe .

Out of curiosity, have the AFRs been touched up or are they out of the box? Looks like with a proper stall 10s will be in the bag - impressive for an ancient shelf grind .

Originally Posted by T/ALT1
Yeah the CC306 is so terrible yet it mph the same as your solid roller 396 with a M6? Maybe you should swap to a CC306?
LOL.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:54 PM
Village Troll

Received 535 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by Puck
The 306 is not a good cam for a stock headed, stock cube car that wants to only spin to 6300 rpms. This is none of those things.

On a better dialed in build with much better heads and more cubes, it does surprisingly well for what it is - an aging, lazy lobe .

Out of curiosity, have the AFRs been touched up or are they out of the box? Looks like with a proper stall 10s will be in the bag - impressive for an ancient shelf grind .
Absolutely agree. There are cams that produce better results. That is not what is being argued. It's the morons who say it's a junk cam and their only point of reference is "well my buddy has one and I drugs him111"
LOL.
I expect great things with your setup first time out. Whenever that is...

Last edited by SS RRR; 07-13-2011 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

306 is ****. Put a real cam in the car and it will wake up.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, ANY properly thought out and designed cam will work perfectly well in a build that is optimized for it's characteristics. With that being said, the problem with the cc306 is the requirements it needs to produce good results.

A lot of other cams do much better in covering lackluster flow performance, or unoptimized header sizes/primary lengths, or any other host of other issues.

Key is, get the combo right and any well designed cam will show what it can do.

Personally the cc306 is such a nutter of a cam it is hard to recommend it, it is harder than some other cams to get the tune right, and it is even harder to pick all the proper parts to get it to run at it's potential. But, that is not to say I haven't tuned some well built setups that use the cc306, from stock 350 shortblocks, to 355s and even 383s (the one 396 I tuned with one just was a dog, so I can't say 396s) and once the right matched parts were used with it, it performed.

Doesn't help that Comp Cams back in the late 90s had a HUGE issue with off-the-shelf grinds for LT1s. They had a ton of cams go out where the lobes were twisted down the cam. I personally diagnosed 9 bad Comp Cams cams back then and once they were rolled on a Cam Doctor they all had the same issue, the lobes twisted off thier centerlines going down the cam (so if you degreed the first few lobes it was OK, but by the time you got to the lobes for #8 it was way off where it should have been).

I have little doubt that a lot of these "bad cams" where to blame for a ton of problems people had, including lack of performance... Sad part is, how many people switched cams and sold off the "bad cam" and just bitched and moaned it sucked. I am certain that there are some of these "bad cams" still floating around out there, as I diagnosed a car 3 years ago where the guy couldn't get it right, once with a cc305 and then with a cc306. I told him to get both rolled and sure enough both were twisted going down teh cam. He put in a buddy of his "extra" LT4 HOT cam and couldn't be happier that the car ran as well as it did at the time.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

haha idle is a little more then low! whats it at? 6-700? lol my old cc306 used to sound like that when i first fired it up in the morning, lucky if she ran for 1-2 minutes befor dieing lol.

Id also take a 1.67 60' lol, that aint bad in my book!

very cool lt1
Old 07-14-2011, 12:56 AM
Launching!

can u retain cruise control? if so where would it be setup at?
Old 07-14-2011, 04:31 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by lt4388stroker
can u retain cruise control? if so where would it be setup at?
Yes. It's all built into the dash harness; not the engine harness.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:51 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Good times, glad your posting progress, I like seeing where a car came from rather than just an end results. Good luck to you. Better cams out there than the CC306, but I wouldn't say it's a horrible choice. I am running it in my LT1, stock bottom end. When I pit the 398 in I'll go custom, but for this set up it's fine.

Chris B's Z28 ran 11.30@121, stock bottom end, GTP LT4 Heads and a CC306. Maybe SS RRR remembers, but I don't think that car was any thing particularly light weight either? He also made like 417rwhp through a 9" from what I recall. Some of the custom stuff makes more, but his times were really respectable then and now for H/C car.

Last edited by BizZzatch350; 07-15-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
Good times, glad your posting progress, I like seeing where a car came from rather than just an end results. Good luck to you. Better cams out there than the CC306, but I wouldn't say it's a horrible choice. I am running it in my LT1, stock bottom end. When I pit the 398 in I'll go custom, but for this set up it's fine.

Chris B's Z28 ran 11.30@121, stock bottom end, GTP LT4 Heads and a CC306. Maybe SS RRR remembers, but I don't think that car was any thing particularly light weight either? He also made like 417rwhp through a 9" from what I recall. Some of the custom stuff makes more, but his times were really respectable then and now for H/C car.
I attribute a lot of that to GTP doing the heads .

A lot of the "sub par" shelf cam builds often have local shop ported, self ported, or stock heads. Give the same setup a respectable cylinder head (AI, LE, LPE, GTP, etc) and I bet they will pick up a ton.

I made the mistake of trusting no-name ported heads too on my last build...live and learn.

Quick Reply: Finally some track times out of or EFI connections set-up