LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Geez, I'm starting another LT1 HEADER STEPPED SELECTION HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 03:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Geez, I'm starting another LT1 HEADER STEPPED SELECTION HELP!

For the 93 firebird LT1.
OK, i've searched and read til i'm tired. My variable...oil cooler and Canton oil pan (wider than stock), no A/C.

I want 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 stepped headers and here's what i know:

1) Kooks are expensive and don't seem to fit any better than ebay ones...won't work with my oil cooler and probably not w/ the Canton oil Pan, still awaiting a response from them

2) LPP says they may be making some more in the summer. The 2nd rendition of it seems to be the best best but didn't find anything related to oil cooler or a Canton oil pan

3) several variations of ebay stainless headers that are stepped although not advertised as such. Cheap and will have to be hammered on or steering knuckle ground down...but its the same with Kooks...

4) Hedman Huslers...can't find anywhere to buy them just yet although it sounds like they take the most work to fit...cutting the heater box, no thanks. This is a car that sees more street than strip.

so what do i do?????

thanks in advance!
Old 04-18-2011, 06:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my Hedmans from Summit. I also sent you a PM on LTx Tech.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

spray it!
Old 04-18-2011, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by defaultexistence
spray it!
+1..

btw.. total fan of the thunderchicken
Old 04-18-2011, 09:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by alan2000T/A
For the 93 firebird LT1.
OK, i've searched and read til i'm tired. My variable...oil cooler and Canton oil pan (wider than stock), no A/C.

I want 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 stepped headers and here's what i know:

1) Kooks are expensive and don't seem to fit any better than ebay ones...won't work with my oil cooler and probably not w/ the Canton oil Pan, still awaiting a response from them
I just installed the Kooks 1 3/4 to 1 7/8th on my 97 no fitment issues what so ever. I do not have an oil cooler or Canton pan though.

Good luck on your search.

Derek
Old 04-18-2011, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I have gen 1 LPPs, I don't have any of the fitment issues I've seen people post about.

I did see some Kooks at a car show and they look a lot easier to bolt up to the heads, there is ample room to get a socket on there to tighten them up. With the lpp's it's all by hand and a wrench. I think i was able to only get a couple with a socket and that was with engine out of the car.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:07 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I went with the Kooks 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 and chose to delete the factory 93 oil cooler, the instructions say the factory oil cooler on earlier cars will not work. The Kooks just out of the box seem like a really nice set of headers and have great craftsmanship. But at the price they charge, that should be no surprise. Far as how they fit, we are about to find out here in a few weeks, though I haven't read all that much negative. Over the years I have read negative reveiws on just about every header out there for the LT1s for what ever that is worth.

Quick Reply: Geez, I'm starting another LT1 HEADER STEPPED SELECTION HELP!