LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Turbo LT1 guys in here

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 03:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chainsaw_Camaro
How many of you have converted to a efi connection 24x system?
I didn't convert for the tuning, I converted one to use a 4L80E...and to play with the 411

I would love to do this but it looks really expensive.
It is expen$ive and for your power goals I don't think it passes the bang for the buck test.

How hard was it to tune a high horsepower boosted LT1 with a factory computer?
What is high HP?
Old 04-19-2011, 03:58 PM
10 Second Club

To tune a stock LT1 ECM to ~750 RWHP is not a problem at all and yes I have first hand experience.

Myself and two friends do it with no ECM limitations or needing more resolution, tables etc. We turn between 6800 - 7200 through the traps. 75 Datsun Z, 92 Mustang, and 68 Firebird all twin turbo'd LT's: one is LT1 (377 iron headed stock intake), one is an LT4 (383), and one is old school 406 with opti to make it 'work' as an LT. The smallest injectors we use is 83 and two of the three have meth (both meth also have larger injectors).

We run ~67% DC with meth running twin Walbro pumps, with split rails and dual fuel feeds. You will find out about that when you make ~525 RWHP. There are many limitations that will be a problem before you get to the eCM limitations from our experiences.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:58 PM
10 Second Club

I am looking to make 700+ hp and I am not sure if I can get there with a factory ECM.
It is not a problem if you want to go beyond 800 RWHP and >7200 I can't be sure, since I don't have first hand experience. We have been running boosted LT's for about 5 years so we have experience some good some bad...The bad is from too small injectors, turbo's etc there have been no problems with the ECMs.

There are a lot of opinions in this section few have first hand experience.

Good luck
Old 04-19-2011, 04:27 PM
10 Second Club

I am going to run a 3 bar map, speed density, and try to push boost into the low 20s on E85.
Who told you to use a 3 bar?

I run 2 bar for track only car and DD. 2 Bar gives a good trade off in my experience I use a three bar only to determine how much boost I achieve. I feel a 3 bar isn't worth the hassle even for a drag car...
Old 04-19-2011, 04:28 PM
10 Second Club

I say 700+ because I am hoping it will make at least that hopefully more on the e85.
Why E85?

I really think I would be pushing the stock pcm to far and drivability would suffer.
Well with a 2 Bar I get ~19 Mpg, can be driven by anyone and it put down some decent power in an iron headed Buick Roadmaster.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boosted LT1
Myself and two friends do it with no ECM limitations or needing more resolution, tables etc.
Who told you to use a 3 bar?

I run 2 bar for track only car and DD. 2 Bar gives a good trade off in my experience I use a three bar only to determine how much boost I achieve. I feel a 3 bar isn't worth the hassle even for a drag car...
So, there are no ECU limitations or need for more resolution but don't use a 3 bar MAP sensor? LMFAO!

FYI, I use 5 bar MAP sensors on most of my builds, with no drawbacks.

one is old school 406 with opti to make it 'work' as an LT.
I'd also love to hear more about this gen 1 engine with the optisuck on it.

Why E85?
Oh, nevermind. Forget I posted.

Last edited by 05HD; 04-19-2011 at 08:41 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

How many of you have converted to a efi connection 24x system? I would love to do this but it looks really expensive. How hard was it to tune a high horsepower boosted LT1 with a factory computer? I am looking to make 700+ hp and I am not sure if I can get there with a factory ECM. Any input would be great. Thanks.
I'm sure anyone would benefit from a different PCM. I thought about doing the 24x system but there was too much that had to be changed to make it work. So I'm still using the stock PCM for my turbo car. 2-bar map and speed density tuned. I make 643hp. Stock shift tables (shifts around 5,500).
The next setup I'm working on should push me in the 750hp territory and I still plan on using the stock PCM.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:17 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 05HD
So, there are no ECU limitations
PLEASE read what I posted!

I NEVER said no limitations try to read without moving your lips your spit must be distorting the words on the screen.

...or need for more resolution but don't use a 3 bar MAP sensor? LMFAO!
WTF? If there was any doubt you proved you are clueless there son. You have it backward if you increase the range of the sensor what do you think happens to the resolution? You obviously never passed a basic science course.

FYI, I use 5 bar MAP sensors on most of my builds, with no drawbacks.
5 BAR???

OMG, truly amazing someone even posts such a stupid statement.

You are definitely an internet hero and all of Honda land believes and loves you. Your village called, they miss their idiot.

If you built anything why is your garage empty?

I'd also love to hear more about this gen 1 engine with the optisuck on it.
You lack even a basic understanding of cars and I refuse to discuss anything with an obvious neophyte

Good luck passing the 7th grade on your third try this year.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:33 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ralls
I'm sure anyone would benefit from a different PCM. I thought about doing the 24x system but there was too much that had to be changed to make it work. So I'm still using the stock PCM for my turbo car. 2-bar map and speed density tuned. I make 643hp. Stock shift tables (shifts around 5,500).
The next setup I'm working on should push me in the 750hp territory and I still plan on using the stock PCM.
Bang for $$$

Fuel system, cam and turbo size will be a problem for him NOW!

The ECM could become a problem but peronally I fix what is broke BEFORE I worry about what might not work.

A motor with his large heads and big cam will demad a LARGE amount of air even at 6000. Calculate it and see how far off the compressor map the setup is with a 76!

Post in the forced induction and see how long it takes for someone to say the turbo is too SMALL.

Good luck
Old 04-19-2011, 09:53 PM
8 Second Club

5 BAR???

You are definitely an internet hero and all of Honda land believes and loves you. Your village called, they miss their idiot.

You lack even a basic understanding of cars and I refuse to discuss anything with an obvious neophyte

Good luck passing the 7th grade on your third try this year.[/QUOTE]

My car is also setup with a 5 bar, so is that wrong?
Are you related to that 96capricemgr?
I got rid of my stock ecm in 97.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:04 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Z8'S
5 BAR???

Good luck passing the 7th grade on your third try this year.

First it is funny you can't even use the quote correctly...nice start ace???

Right and wrong?

Obviously reading with comprehension is a not your strength

Ok since you missed the obvious..If you are running less than 3 bar or ~45 psi you are wasting resolution...and you may wonder who I am related to but it is obvious who you are related to.

READ if you THINK I said something read again and be sure before showing ignorance by trying to imply I said something I didn't.

I don't care who you are if you say something stupid and direct it my way (AND I see it), expect me to point it out.

Thanks for the laugh, and bye
Old 04-20-2011, 01:33 AM
TECH Addict

First it is funny you can't even use the quote correctly...nice start ace???

Right and wrong?

Obviously reading with comprehension is a not your strength

Ok since you missed the obvious..If you are running less than 3 bar or ~45 psi you are wasting resolution...and you may wonder who I am related to but it is obvious who you are related to.

READ if you THINK I said something read again and be sure before showing ignorance by trying to imply I said something I didn't.

I don't care who you are if you say something stupid and direct it my way (AND I see it), expect me to point it out.

Thanks for the laugh, and bye
Haha wow. I'd listen to him instead of insulting him. Z8s knows a little about turbo lt1 builds. Lol.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This boosted character is quite the authority, just ask him.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:00 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LSWHO
Haha wow. I'd listen to him instead of insulting him. Z8s knows a little about turbo lt1 builds. Lol.
He sure does, he must he is the first LT in the 8's a great feat. So I suspect he has more than a few dollars in his setup too. So what exactly did he recommend? I seem to have missed this valuable advice that you want the poster to follow.
Oh wait

1. My car is also setup with a 5 bar, so is that wrong?
2. Are you related to that 96capricemgr?
3. I got rid of my stock ecm in 97.

I said the poster's turbo is too small... no need for a general statement if I'm wrong say so and give him REAL comments he can use. Forums are meant to share info on here people always get their panties in a bind.

So from the responses I guess all the original poster needs to do is put a 5 BAR MAP with an aftermarket ecm and suddenly his turbo will be the right size and all his worries are over.

Just write a blank check because the problems won't be fixed with just changing the ecm. If you want to help read the thread

To match the usefulness of some I can point out that most fast blocks I have seen were black and none had problems.

So paint it black and all your troubles are over. There is a sweeoing generalization for you.

Good luck

Last edited by boosted LT1; 04-20-2011 at 06:26 AM.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:25 AM
Launching!

I went 24x.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:44 AM
8 Second Club

Nowhere in my post did I give advice.I asked you a general questions that you obviously couldnt comphrehend.
I dont give advice on any of these threads because they all just get polluted by useless crap by know it all's.
I also just stated that I replaced my ecm in 97.
Again I dont give advice on the internet.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:45 AM
10 Second Club

Nowhere in my post did I give advice.
Exactly what I implied, you added nothing to the discussion

asked you a general questions that you obviously couldnt comphrehend.
Lets review your questions that are supposedly 'too deep' for understanding.

Yea, many hear voices too

I dont give advice on any of these threads because they all just get polluted by useless crap by know it all's.
Agreed that is why I am frustrated, because I read and write in English, and hate all the idiots chiming in who add nothing useful to a discussion.

I also just stated that I replaced my ecm in 97.
Again I dont give advice on the internet.
That summarizes what you added to this thread. I am glad you clarified and stated your input to the thread was zero because some started to think you said something worth reading and they started to defend it.

I FULLY agree with I dont give advice on any of these threads because they all just get polluted by useless crap by know it all's. That is why so much crap is written here because any fool can divert a good thread to the gutter so easilly.

Good luck

Last edited by boosted LT1; 04-20-2011 at 08:07 AM.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:00 AM
10 Second Club

Too summarize my recommendations:

No sense in giving worth while advice no one can read here. I deleted what I would recommend follow the crowd here they have the higher post count

Good luck

Last edited by boosted LT1; 04-20-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:08 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
oh really?
lol agreed.........

How many of you have converted to a efi connection 24x system? I would love to do this but it looks really expensive. How hard was it to tune a high horsepower boosted LT1 with a factory computer? I am looking to make 700+ hp and I am not sure if I can get there with a factory ECM. Any input would be great. Thanks.

the factory computer WILL tune it and WILL do a good job of tuning it in the right hands.......unless you are going over 7000rpm the aftermarket ECM isn't really needed in your application........if you WANT to shell out the dough it obveously will make life easier........but it is NOT needed....

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
^^^^ What he said, Mine forced inducted, 648 RWHP on the pump, 722 RWHP on the fast gas, Stock PCM, 2 Bar. Now going Turbo with the same set up going for 800 RWHP..Absolutely no problems..
+1

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
Like 4SFEDZ says, only if you plan on spinning the motor past the 7K mark will an after market ECM be worth the cost. Tony Shepard ran on a stock PCM for the longest time until his new combo made power past 7k, so we had to go to the FAST system. Usually with forced induction you shouldn't need to go past that, My motor made those numbers at 6000 rpm, spinning the motor at the lowest RPM possible will add longevity, RPM's is the killer.
yep exactly......the stock pcm will do quite a bit.....i ran it for years then i switched to an xfi for that exact problem i am making power well past 7000rpm now....

Last edited by quik95lt1; 04-20-2011 at 08:16 AM.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Bang for $$$

Fuel system, cam and turbo size will be a problem for him NOW!

The ECM could become a problem but peronally I fix what is broke BEFORE I worry about what might not work.

A motor with his large heads and big cam will demad a LARGE amount of air even at 6000. Calculate it and see how far off the compressor map the setup is with a 76!

Post in the forced induction and see how long it takes for someone to say the turbo is too SMALL.

Good luck
Did I miss something? I don't know anything about the OP's motor. From what I read it's not even built. I guess there is another thread floating around with more info on his car.

Again, I personally haven't reached the limit of the stock PCM. You have to skew a few things to make it work especially with using higher bar MAP sensors. But the stock PCM should be good for quite a while.

Quick Reply: Turbo LT1 guys in here