LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

3 Channel or 4 Channel ABS delete?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 06:44 AM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 Channel or 4 Channel ABS delete?

My car is a 97 and I am looking to get the SJM ABS delete and line lock but I am unsure if mine is 3 or 4 channel. How can I tell? I didnt think it had traction control because I never saw a button to turn it off and on but not long ago I did notice the light on the dash. It was illuminated and the ABS box was clicking. And my car has a Moser 12 bolt if that is going to have any roll in which one I have to get.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have electrical wiring/plugs running to each axle on the rear of car? If you do, its a 4 channel. If you have a sensor mounted on top of the pumpkin, its a 3 channel.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:28 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by chon79
Do you have electrical wiring/plugs running to each axle on the rear of car? If you do, its a 4 channel. If you have a sensor mounted on top of the pumpkin, its a 3 channel.
what he said ^
Old 04-19-2011, 07:39 AM
8 Second Club

I have a Moser 12 bolt so I dont now but I am not sure how it was from the factory
Old 04-19-2011, 08:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you got the Moser, they should have asked you what channel your car has. Unless you purchased it used.

Regardless, you would still have the wiring there. So look under the car and check for what I posted earlier. Let us know
Old 04-19-2011, 09:26 AM
TECH Resident

How many brake lines going to the rear?

At least on my '02 SS, a single brake line coming up from the front, splitting at the pumpkin and a line going to each wheel indicates a 3-channel. A double brake line coming up from the front with each line going to each wheel would indicate a 4-channel. Don't confuse the emergency brake cables for the brake lines.

A 4-channel system requires "braking" to one wheel at a time (two sensors) ... i.e. traction control. A 3-channel system only requires "knowledge" of a locking wheel (single sensor) and it doesn't matter which side.

This doesn't mean that someone didn't re-route the brake lines, but I doubt anyone would have gone through the trouble.

Another poster may could verify all of my post for a '97 model year.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:35 AM
8 Second Club

One line that splits to two is how mine is set up
Old 04-19-2011, 01:30 PM
TECH Resident

Sorry "DVS LT1", but you have been mis-informed. I cannot say for LT1 cars, but all LS1 cars are 3-channel ABS, however, if your LS1 car is equipped with TC (traction control), then it is a 4-channel. If the original rear is in place, it is relatively easy to determine which ... a 3-channel ABS only car has one reluctor wheel/one sensor in/on the pumpkin ... a 4-channel ABS/TC car has two reluctor wheels/two sensors, one on each axle end/brake backing plate.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DVS LT1
Ah ha. Well that actually makes perfect sense. Never thought of TC.

When I did a gear swap a few years back I needed a 3 series carrier (not to be confused with the ABS channels) as my stock diff was a 2 series which housed my lovely 2.73's... I bought a used 3 series Zexel-Torsen LSD out of a '98-'02 LS1 car to house my new 3.73's and it happened to be a 4-channel ABS. I just assumed that naturally my LT1 car was **** for having only 1 ABS sensor for the rear wheels, and that the 4 channel ABS was just another example of how the 98+ cars benefited from a bunch of non-engine upgrades (brakes, PCM, driveshaft, headlight function, etc).

I've seen that orange ABS light on my dash ever since ha.
im doing the same swap did you have any problems
Old 03-28-2013, 06:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DVS LT1
Nope... except my ABS hasn't worked since and the engine light is always on.

I think they make 3.73 gears specifically for 2 series carriers. If your rear end diff is in good shape may want to source these gears. If your diff is in bad shape like mine was, may want to find a used or cheap new LT1 specific LSD (auburn style) rather than the LS1 style LSD's.

Problem with any gear/diff setup in a 10 bolt is at the end of the day, its still a 10 bolt :S
I bought the diff thats off a 02 ss camaro and I had to switch the brake lines from mine to the other because mine only needed 1 line from the front and the ls1 needs 2 and the abs problem ill see what I do with that this weekend when I put the new rear end on my 97

Quick Reply: 3 Channel or 4 Channel ABS delete?