LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I've got the opti blues

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 03:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It may be old wiring, I'm tracking it down now. Coil wire is corroded and the coil connecters are pinched.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:17 PM
Staging Lane

We just went through a problem with my sons 97 Formy. Car would start and run and all of a sudden just die. Would start back up sometimes and sometimes not. Started it up and started moving some wires around. Started with the coil wire to the opti. No change. Went to the 2 wire plug at the coil and as soon as I toughed it the car died. Started back up and tried a few more times and car died every time. Pulled the wires out of the plug, cut the wires back about l.5 inches of so and installed new wire ends. No more problem with that plug. Don't know if yours is related but it's worth a try. You would be suprised how often it is the simple things that get over looked.
Good luck.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:08 PM
On The Tree

Just so everyone knows. It was the optispark!

He replaced 3 that wouldn't work until he borrowed mine. When hot, it would quit working!

Thanks everyone for suggestions and all the help! I appreciate it.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

i got tired of my opti, so i threw on a gen 1 distributor on it..... and a carb
Old 05-10-2011, 08:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a suggestion. Use shbox.com and do some troubleshooting. Throwing parts at it is not working. The ICM is very easy to troubleshoot, so is the low voltage side of the optispark. He has all the connector locations and wire colors. Secondary side (high voltage) of the optispark is not to bad to test. If you have spark at the coil the rest is just simple logic. Just don't crank the engine with any plug wires off. You can do a lot of testing with a 99 cent test light and a Harbor Freight $3.00 meter. If you need help with a certain test procedure, post your specific question and someone here will help.

I'd start with the ICM if you have a no spark condition. Simple power, ground and a signal from the PCM. Want to try this? Get a meter and let us know.

If you understand electricity a simple scope like this will really help. Help but is not necessary. Just a little better tool.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2Msps-Sampling-R...item2c58aeacab

Al

Quick Reply: I've got the opti blues