LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Very low oil in LT1 caused tapping/not quite a knock

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 07:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mixtape

GM LT-1 5.7L 93-94 Distributor (Part number: 8381)
GM LT-1 5.7L Distributor 95-97 (Part number: 83811)

Well we all have to start somewhere
Just look at the the drive for the opti, if its big then you know that its a 95 and up timing cover.
Here is a image i made awhile ago see if it helps.

Don't worry about indy, he dropped from his mom with full knowledge of LT1's.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you noice. I really appreciate the help. I guess I'll find out soon enough .

Update:

This Friday I'm taking a trip up to NY to pick up the Impala SS's LT1 with a buddy. It looks like I have two options as far as the Opti goes. If the B-bodies used the non vented setup in '94 like the Camaro, I can swap in my much more reliable MSD unit. However, if the B-body's LT1 uses the revised vented setup, a year prior to the F-bodies, well at least it has a more durable vented system if my MSD won't fit. Plus I could always sell the MSD to help fund a cam.

Speaking of cam. It looks like the B-body LT1 uses a smaller cam (ugh), but as a result, low end power is more favorable with the B-body cam. So I may lose some power up north in the RPM, but low end should be a tad more enjoyable.

Though, while the Impala SS's engine is on the bench, I may go a step further. I had my eyes set on the Crane 227 cam for its great low end power, and ability to work well with stock heads. I believe this cam was nicknamed the "torque monster" lol. Though the Comp Cam 503 caught my eye too. It's a much larger cam, but still works well with stock heads. However, it seems to run better in the mid and high RPM power. Does anyone have a rough estimate of how much power the cc503 will produce over the smaller Crane 227? How much fun factor will I lose in the low end? I loved the ability to break the tires loose with all the low end power of my stock Camaro's cam. Plus that "pull you to your seat" feeling is great with low end torque.

Lastly (sorry I'm full of questions lol), I was pricing 503 cam but I found the specs to be off from site to site. For instance, according to the cam guide thread, the cc503 has a duration of 224/230, a lift of .537/.544, and an LSA of 112. However, searching eBay and other online stores gave me different specs. I even found a '97 Formula on YouTube with a "cc503 cam" with a slightly different spec of "224/230 .535/.544 112lsa."

Does anyone know the part number for a proper cc503 (or even the similar GM846 cam)? I know the difference is minimal looking, but why change the lift from .537/.544 to .535/.544?
Old 05-04-2011, 09:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do your self a favor and open the bottom end up or pay someone to open it up. I bought a 95 LT1 out of a TA with ECM and harness and ACC's for 500 bucks and it turned out it had 1 spun main bearing and 4 spun Rod bearings and someone actually replaced 3 other rod bearings that had never been run, 3 rods where toast beyond repair, and the crank was so bad there was no saving it. It turns out it had been run with no oil. Guy said it ran great lol PHUCKERS!!!. I was planing on going through it anyway but my plans got all F'd up by that and have not exactley recovered to this day as my engine builder was not an engine builder. Spend the money on gaskets and have a pro look at it and make sure it's not bull ****. My new way of picking up a used engine is to take it home in pieces unless it's from a junkyard that gives a warranty on it for so many months.

Quick Reply: Very low oil in LT1 caused tapping/not quite a knock