LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Dynaspark Experience (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 11:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there a way to buy the Mitsubishi optical sensor as a part?

And, thanks for the detailed photographs. I'm also having some concerns about my Optispark. I'm about to invent a test for the cap.

Al 95 Z28
Old 05-09-2011, 02:18 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jb442
Those are the same symptoms mine had - It was definitely heat causing the sensor to stop functioning. If you can find another good sensor (preferably a Mitsubishi) I can help you with a rebuild. I have some detailed pictures of my rebuild process, and I'll try to put it all together in a thread soon.

BTW, in my recent debacle, I was only able to speak to them on the phone once... and it was with a secretary or assistant, just to give her my credit card #'s for the rebuild. I never spoke with Bob - He never returned my voice messages either. All correspondence was via e-mail. They did move to a new location back in February.
yea i still have a few mitsubishi sensors in my old gm optis that got wet but i dont think its worth the try use them since there was so much corrosion inside.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:40 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Al
Is there a way to buy the Mitsubishi optical sensor as a part?
That would be nice if they were readily available. If you look in the ImpalaSS forums, you'll find an older thread where a guy had a source and was selling them for $50 each. I contacted him earlier this year - He didn't have anymore left and had since lost his source for them.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:47 AM
Launching!

Added a few pics to post #3.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:48 PM
TECH Regular

Looks like I done right by buying a MSD pro billet unit when they came out...15000 hard miles(almost 5 yrs now) no issues at all.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

interesting, who would have guessed
Old 05-13-2011, 10:20 AM

Default sensors and quaility

Its hard to see the post! but I will say our intent is not to make a poor quality product or cheap. Our sensor manufacture had proven that the new sensor were to out perform the mistubishi sensor. We are returning to the mistubishi sensor and will always stand behind our product and try our best to make it right.
We have also hired the person from Dynotech that was one of the origional developers of the unit to make sure the quality is at the highest it can be. I can address every issue if needed but the main one I address right now is anodizing.
We have changed to a clear coat hard anodize which is harder than the black for better protection and is defeniatly not cheaper.
This is not an excuse but we just complete a move and sorry to say we did lose phone calls and e-mails. I can only say we are not out just for the money but to make a produce that we are proud of!
Bob
Old 06-18-2011, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Dynaspark
Its hard to see the post! but I will say our intent is not to make a poor quality product or cheap. Our sensor manufacture had proven that the new sensor were to out perform the mistubishi sensor. We are returning to the mistubishi sensor and will always stand behind our product and try our best to make it right.
We have also hired the person from Dynotech that was one of the origional developers of the unit to make sure the quality is at the highest it can be. I can address every issue if needed but the main one I address right now is anodizing.
We have changed to a clear coat hard anodize which is harder than the black for better protection and is defeniatly not cheaper.
This is not an excuse but we just complete a move and sorry to say we did lose phone calls and e-mails. I can only say we are not out just for the money but to make a produce that we are proud of!
Bob
Bob,
I purchased a gen 1 unit from you guys around 1.5 months ago. At the time I believed it to be the best optispark option available. Unbeknowist to me the trouble discussed in this and other threads, and other forums, which is quite demoralizing. After installing on my LT1 and driving just a hundred or so miles, I already notice the idle becoming rough after the engine is warm. Seems the biggest issue is with the sensor. You say you have returned to using the OEM mistubishi sensor? How can I know if mine came built with that sensor? Thank-you.

Last edited by dewfall; 06-18-2011 at 07:02 AM.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dewfall
Bob,
I purchased a gen 1 unit from you guys around 1.5 months ago. At the time I believed it to be the best optispark option available. Unbeknowist to me the trouble discussed in this and other threads, and other forums, which is quite demoralizing. After installing on my LT1 and driving just a hundred or so miles, I already notice the idle becoming rough after the engine is warm. Seems the biggest issue is with the sensor. You say you have returned to using the OEM mistubishi sensor? How can I know if mine came built with that sensor? Thank-you.
Call them!! I dont think he comes on here much. I had a few issues (old sensor) but i got a new one with the new sensor and it works fine. Their C.S. is top notch and will stand behind their product and admit when they made a mistake (changing sensors).
Old 06-19-2011, 12:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You have to give the man credit for showing up here and spilling his guts to all. Now the interesting thing would be to know if any of the complainers had the problems solved. It seems like we never hear about it when a wrong was righted.

FWIW I use only Delco/Delphii so I am NOT nut huggin lol
Old 06-19-2011, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Dave357LT1
Call them!! I dont think he comes on here much. I had a few issues (old sensor) but i got a new one with the new sensor and it works fine. Their C.S. is top notch and will stand behind their product and admit when they made a mistake (changing sensors).

lol, yeah with all the wonderful comments made I can certainly imagine why he wouldn't come back. I will call them.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:22 PM
Teching In

Default Ongoing Dynaspark issue

I am also having the same issues with the car stalling after it warms up, but now it has finally quit running all together, I took the car to the cheyy dealer for a diagnostic test on a intermittent stalling and loss of tach issue and was told it was the opti failing! (shock)
this was just before it completely quit running so after 3000 miles the Dynaspark had failed , so I am wondering if it is the Optical sensor and is this a ongoing issue for all of us Dynaspark purchasers over the last couple years? maybe the company should go back to the mitsubishi unit. this is way to much money to have to be replacing the opti unit every yea in a car that only has 85k on the engine. the car is still sitting in the driveway untouched for the last couple months as I am so disappointed to say the least, after recieving 2 opti units prior from the partslady and them failing, I thought this was the cure. was I wrong ? so now I am seriously contemplating selling the 97SS with less than 100k on it.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:02 PM

Good write up on a shitty situation. Also good to see that the company came on here, which means they are aware of the situation. It will be interesting to see how this plays out and if the issues are taken care of.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't blame the OP for cutting his losses after what he went through. At least he gave the company a chance to make it right. If you pay that kinda $ for a product with a lifetime warranty and your have the issues being discusses it seems like a no brainer to send it back and give them the chance to correct it rather then just let it sit and be upset. Just my opinion, PS I'm on my third Dynaspark and have been assured I've now got the Mistubishi sensor. I'm getting a miss about 6K that then goes away after 6500 but I haven't yet ruled out the new coil/ wires arching.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:25 AM
Teching In

just bought my first lt1, 383, pacesetter, tb, heads, cam, trans 3600yank, and soon to be ac delco opti thanks to this thread. i understand that the original owner had an excellent product, unfortunate that it went this route.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:49 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i emailed bob and he offered to rebuild my unit for me and all i may have to pay would be shipping.

i havent had a chance to send it back yet been hurting for money..
Old 12-17-2011, 02:15 AM
On The Tree

I have the one used with the delteq set-up and have had zero problems. It's made if billet and looks pretty cool as for your opti that sucks but yes dealing with them is very difficult.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:01 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Very interesting post. FWIW, when I had my '94, I made the move to the MSD unit and found it to be a very good product. Some people bashed it here but I found their complaints to be un-founded.

Last edited by Paul Bell; 12-17-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dewfall
lol, yeah with all the wonderful comments made I can certainly imagine why he wouldn't come back. I will call them.
I know what you're saying, but on the other hand, this hasn't degraded into the usual foul-mouthed, "few facts, but lots of trash talking" thread. The OP did an excellent job of documenting his issues, and providing pictures to support his case.

Is he disappointed in the performance of his $600 replacement ignition? Yes, he is, and it appears that his disappointment is justified. He didn't go off on any rants, just presented the facts, as I would also have done, had I been in his position. When you pay that much money for a part that is advertised to be superior to the OE part, you are led to expect superior performance, which the OP didn't get.

Given the relative calm way this thread has progressed, I would expect the current owner of the Dynaspark operation to indeed come back, and demonstrate that he/they intend to continue to make a good product.

Just my $0.02 worth.......
Old 12-17-2011, 07:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Its people like them that make me mad. They probably brought someone in to look at the product and how they can make it cheaper to manufacture, and thats what you end up with. That thing is ugly.

Ill never buy from them, im with the other people, see how well their pos company survives when noone buys em. How can you sleep at night knowing you have people who have problems with what you gave them, and you dont answer them. They call in everyday, and you just dont answer the phone. Who ever owns it now i hope reads this. Grow a pair of ***** and act like a man and give people what they paid for or take your part back and give them their money back.

This is why some of the other lt1 suppliers have such a good name, they respond when people have issues and dont go and run.

Quick Reply: Dynaspark Experience (Long)