LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Hard to shift into 1st, 3rd, 5th, and reverse. Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 11:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well found out today it wasn't a factory shifter. Its an aftermarket short throw. Parts on it were broke. Not sure what parts. Had to take it to my mechanic because of finals in school, work, and somethings going on in my life, but its getting fixed. Thanks for all the help though! I really appreciate it!
Old 05-10-2011, 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by the_merv
A Synchro Ring doesnt cause it to pop-out..worn out Keys & D-ring will cause it to pop-out. A Synchro Ring just matches the free-spinning Gear with the speed of the Input shaft/Counter Shaft at the time, hence the name, and the grinding when it's fucked up, or the Keys & D-ring are worn.

If the Cup is fucked off to the point where it will partially engage Reverse then that is his issue on why it will pop-out..the D-ring & Keys aren't fully locking out to hold the Slider on the Gear. Also there is Metal D-ring & Key Retaining Plate on the back side of the Reverse Slider Assembly, my stock T56 was cracked and that caused Reverse to pop out every now n then cause it wasnt letting the Keys hold the Slider in place.
makes sense, except in my case cause my keys and D-rings were just fine and it didn't grind at all in reverse, it would just violently kick out of gear.. I had to park it on inclines until I had it rebuilt must of just been from the slop in my shifter and cup.. but then I don't get why my reverse synchro was so shot owell
And when did you trade the F-body for a G merv? that thing is sick! makes me miss my old one.. hows your body mounts btw? they were the reason I sold this ->
Old 05-10-2011, 12:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 96reddevil
Well found out today it wasn't a factory shifter. Its an aftermarket short throw. Parts on it were broke. Not sure what parts. Had to take it to my mechanic because of finals in school, work, and somethings going on in my life, but its getting fixed. Thanks for all the help though! I really appreciate it!
cool, glad it was nothing major! do you know what kind of shifter it is?
Old 05-10-2011, 12:45 PM
Teching In

Absolutely no clue. When I get it back I'll tear it apart to look and see what kind it is, if there is a way to tell?
Old 05-11-2011, 12:04 AM
11 Second Club

Received 189 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
And when did you trade the F-body for a G merv? that thing is sick! makes me miss my old one.. hows your body mounts btw? they were the reason I sold this ->
That's a Aerocoupe..not too common..

I did it this past december..it's a blast..
Old 05-11-2011, 06:03 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by the_merv
That's a Aerocoupe..not too common..

I did it this past december..it's a blast..
yeah I made some $$ on that car but I'm still kicking myself for selling it

Quick Reply: Hard to shift into 1st, 3rd, 5th, and reverse. Ideas?