LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lt1 build... Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 01:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lt1 build... Suggestions

Hey yall,

Got a 97 Z28 m6 stock that i bought two years ago. Drove it til something went wrong, clutch went, so i figured its time to take everything out and build it all up. The engine will be out tomorrow, assuming the block is useable which I dont see why it wouldnt be, I wanted to start seeing my options for a build. Here's my goals,
Max of 500 RWHP, It is not my main source of transportation but im not too big into the track since thers not one to close I just like to fart around town with it. Take off the T-tops and cruise, and in the future **** off mustangs.
I am going to do some suspension work to it but I dont want to get too far into it.
No NO2 or Turbo/Supercharger. I like bare bone muscle.
Mainly just a fun little sleeper.
Budget: at the moment its Max of 14,000 but since this isnt my main car I am not in too big of a rush.
My Thoughts: Ive been doing some research into a 383 stroker. So far I have found that forged everything is the best way to go, especially the 4340 Eagle Crank. I have seen the "kits" online but have also read of how unreliable they are. I already plan on upgrading the opti-spark, rebuilding the t-56 and all of the rest of the stock parts that need to go.

Am I on the right track? I dont want to over power the car, but at the same time I dont want to have to rip it apart to replace broken parts due to my error.

If I am on track are there any kits that someone could reccomend or do I need to do some more search and build one my self. I have read that the stock valves on the heads will not work for a stroker, so a suggestion on heads and cam to boot would be appreciated. As far as the Cam I currently live in Florida, no emission laws here.

Thanks- Derek
Old 05-10-2011, 06:32 AM
TECH Addict

Ya but don't get an eagle crank.. Get a Scat 4340 because it is a lot stronger and lighter than the eagle
Old 05-10-2011, 07:51 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by texascowboy9168
Hey yall,

Got a 97 Z28 m6 stock that i bought two years ago. Drove it til something went wrong, clutch went, so i figured its time to take everything out and build it all up. The engine will be out tomorrow, assuming the block is useable which I dont see why it wouldnt be, I wanted to start seeing my options for a build. Here's my goals,
Max of 500 RWHP, It is not my main source of transportation but im not too big into the track since thers not one to close I just like to fart around town with it. Take off the T-tops and cruise, and in the future **** off mustangs.
I am going to do some suspension work to it but I dont want to get too far into it.
No NO2 or Turbo/Supercharger. I like bare bone muscle.
Mainly just a fun little sleeper.
Budget: at the moment its Max of 14,000 but since this isnt my main car I am not in too big of a rush.
My Thoughts: Ive been doing some research into a 383 stroker. So far I have found that forged everything is the best way to go, especially the 4340 Eagle Crank. I have seen the "kits" online but have also read of how unreliable they are. I already plan on upgrading the opti-spark, rebuilding the t-56 and all of the rest of the stock parts that need to go.

Am I on the right track? I dont want to over power the car, but at the same time I dont want to have to rip it apart to replace broken parts due to my error.

If I am on track are there any kits that someone could reccomend or do I need to do some more search and build one my self. I have read that the stock valves on the heads will not work for a stroker, so a suggestion on heads and cam to boot would be appreciated. As far as the Cam I currently live in Florida, no emission laws here.

Thanks- Derek

Well sounds like you got a nice little budget to work with....sooooo.....

id run callies compstar crank and rods.......its their entry level stuff but it blows away eagle and scat for not much more $$$........hang a nice diamond or srp forged piston off of it and have it balanced.......

as for the top end id send ur heads to AI and have them port the stock castings.....and run a nice PSI hydraulic roller spring on it.........at the same time have them spec you a nice HR cam for the setup and the rest of the supporting valvetrain.........they can also port the intake if you feel necessary......

back that up with some basic bolt on's like headers and a good intake system and go have some fun!!!
Old 05-10-2011, 04:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Buy mine!
Old 05-10-2011, 04:21 PM
TECH Resident

For 14K why not buy a H/C/I LS1 car? Or put a H/C/I LS1 in your car? Or are you set on staying LT1?
Old 05-10-2011, 04:30 PM
Launching!

I dont see whats wrong with eagle forged cranks but callies is good if you have the money for it. I would think maybe a set of trickflow heads maybe even ported trickflows. As far as pistons i would think a flat top or close to if you arent going to run any boost. I went with an SRP piston so i could run a tighter clearance since its a street car.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

Call Lloyd Elliott because he is a pro at custom grinding cams for your certain setup
Old 05-11-2011, 12:02 AM
Teching In

Ls1Lover - 14k was really a Max budeget i was hoping not to spend that much but will if i absolutley have to. A buddy of mine has a 01 T/A, and i helped him do a ls6 swap in it and I admit i do love this motor mainly because the amount of parts readily available for it. However when i researched doing a LT1 to LS1 swap, I found the cost of everything (motor,steering, ecu ect...) was about the same cost of just going out and buying an LS1 camaro.
Instead of spending the money on buying a stock LS-1 i would rather put the money towards this motor. The car is in excellent condition, with only one previous owner and no wrecks. Dont want to just let it go to waste.

Ramair95TA- Thanks for the offer but I would really perfer to build my own, I gotta learn somehow.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I am doing some major research, Looking forward to making this a fun sleeper.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Btw a 500 HP N/A LT1 will NOT be a sleeper haha

You said you didn't want to go turbo but i see that as the only logical way to obtain your goals and keep the sleeper type thing on it seeing as you wouldn't have to run a crazy cam and such.

Turbo'd mustang at our local track is no louder then a stock honda civic runs low 9's would NEVER know this car could run faster then 14's if you seen it on the street
Old 05-11-2011, 12:29 AM
Teching In

Haha yea i know not a "true" sleeper, but thats fine with me. I was more referring to the "look" of the car, not putting something in that needs a cowl hood, or a cam with lobes SO big it sounds like its going to stall at idle. I am perfectly fine with making some noise.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:38 AM
10 Second Club

Then AI should be your route but still even then 500 N/A Horses is quite the challenge for a "street" car
Old 05-11-2011, 01:21 AM
Teching In

Well the 500hp came up because in other threads i read when people were asking for suggestions the most common replies were, name your goals, max HP, budget things like that so i didnt want to seem completely arrogant when i put the post so i figured a Max of 500hp would be resonable for what I am trying to accomplish.

I am completely ok with less than 500hp. More realistically 400-450. I got the engine out today but i didnt start taking it apart yet. Tomorrow I will see what condition it is all in. It has 107,000 miles on it so i figured if i was going to rebuild it I might as well do a 383.

You are the second person to mention the AI root, yes I sound like a complete noob but i dont know what that means, and i checked the acronyms sticky and its not there lol.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

www.advancedinduction.com
Old 05-11-2011, 07:47 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
what he said ^.............

they make power......done end of story..........

and read my post above it will get you to you're goals.....
Old 05-11-2011, 07:56 AM
10 Second Club

There are 2 proven runners with the AI stuff it moves out!

Joe why you selling your car :o
Old 05-11-2011, 08:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Lawhead

Joe why you selling your car :o
Times are tough and I'm beginning to get bored with it. I'm not in a hurry to sell it though. If the right buyer and the right price comes along, it's time for a new toy.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:10 AM
9 Second Club

Times are tough and I'm beginning to get bored with it. I'm not in a hurry to sell it though. If the right buyer and the right price comes along, it's time for a new toy.
sad to hear ..........i dont think i could ever part with mine..........I do want to build a forced induction car though..........guess im gonna have to find another one
Old 05-11-2011, 12:04 PM
10 Second Club

Man that stinks at your point of your car being built I don't know if I could part with it but thats me

If my car doesn't last through this motor swap (rear end...Tranny)

It's getting parted out and starting new with something else but I think I should be fine

Good luck with what ever you are thinking of building........any ideas???

Oh btw OP listen to these two guys they know what they are talking about
Old 05-11-2011, 12:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm considering moving to the y-platform. It would be nice to have something that's V8, RWD, and doesn't handle like a rowboat. I'm getting old now - going straight is starting to get boring.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:28 PM
10 Second Club

Good luck on future plans

My Air force career should be taking off here soon I have a few tricks up my sleeve

Quick Reply: Lt1 build... Suggestions