LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Knock Sensor??

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 08:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Knock Sensor??

Ok, so a while back I installed Moroso solid motor mounts in my 97 Z28. Its my daily driver and even though many people said never do solids in a dd i did and I really like it. Anyways, one guy told me that solid mounts can drive the knock sensor crazy. He said this will retard the timing and cause it to run rich.

Well now my car is running really rough, it really sputters under a load or going uphill. Its worse at higher speeds too. Its the worst at low acceleration or once the car reaches its speed and slows up. Actual acceleration isnt bad. But I also thought I smelled gas several times. I checked some plugs (only 3, its a pain in the *** with headers) but none of them were fouled or very black. I thought maybe it could be my O2 sensors getting wet but I was gonna see what you guys think.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have it scanned. Record the data while the car is running erroneously.

Sputtering under a load usually means it's something ignition-related, since the ignition system has to work harder under higher cylinder pressures. Plugs, wires, coil, ICM, etc.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:49 PM
Launching!

Haha ramair95ta, It was you that originally told me too!

So when you say have it scanned, do you mean the obd II scanner that you use to pull codes and stuff? Sorry Im kind of a Newb.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:07 PM
Launching!

Ok, so back to this issue now. I unplugged the knock sensor and cruised around today and I definitely still have the issue. I was hoping that after I unplugged the KS and ran it for a while it would clear up but it didn't. And i know for sure that it was running rich because I parked it for over a week and now when i started it up or revved it, it shot a ton of carbon and black **** out the exhaust. I said earlier that it was worse under a load, but it still does it on normal driving/acceleration so its not only under a load. I dont know if its the O2's, the KS, or some other random sh*t at this point so I am looking for some advice. Thanks guys.

Last edited by derekstl; 06-01-2011 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Have it scanned. Record the data while the car is running erroneously.
Could I do this with the scanner you can use at autozone or is it a different scanner?
Old 06-01-2011, 12:51 PM
TECH Regular

As far as I know, Autozone can scan any OBDII car, so I would bring it there and get it scanned for any hidden trouble codes. It would be best to datalog it, but I don't think there's any cheap way to do that with OBDII.

The knock sensor wouldn't cause what you're describing and it looks like you've ruled that out anyway. Plug the KS back in. It seems to me that it's an ignition related problem....I would start at the plug wires, look under the hood at night for any arcing, then maybe remove one at a time to inspect. Are they getting burned on the headers?

If you have a temp gun, you can see if all cylinders are warming up evenly upon start up which could tell you if it's a specific cylinder acting up.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:41 PM
Launching!

Ok, I will take another look at that stuff. I replaced the opti, ICM, and ignition coils about 9 months ago so I hope none of that stuff is bad but I will double check my plugs and wires. The wires arent getting burnt since I tied them back with zip ties. Thanks for the input
Old 06-01-2011, 01:57 PM
TECH Regular

I tied mine with zip ties where there was no way they could get cooked, but they still got cooked. I eventually got them away from the headers, but then my problem was the passenger side where they go behind the a/c pulley & belt. I didn't have the factory plastic loom that bends around the acc bracket. Hopefully you have yours.

Hopefully it's just a wire, but I wouldn't rule out the new opti, ICM, and coil.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mguidry629
I tied mine with zip ties where there was no way they could get cooked, but they still got cooked. I eventually got them away from the headers,
I only visually inspected mine and saw that they werent melted or anything. Are you saying they could have heated up enough to cook them but not show its melted??
Old 06-02-2011, 12:20 PM
Launching!

As far as I know, Autozone can scan any OBDII car, so I would bring it there and get it scanned for any hidden trouble codes
I went ahead and did this yesterday. It didnt pull up any codes.

I would start at the plug wires, look under the hood at night for any arcing, then maybe remove one at a time to inspect.
I looked at them in dark, saw no arching. I started pulling some more plugs and still didnt see any fouled plugs. If I have a ton of carbon built up in the exhaust how am I not fouling plugs?

But, I DID FIND SOMETHING. There is a spark plug wire that had the outer coat cracked when it was zip tied to the motor mount. I had electrical taped it a long time ago so it was covered. Could this cause the problem even though it was taped up??

I plan on doing new wires this weekend, (i got a free set with my opti a while back) and maybe new plugs while im at it.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:17 PM
Launching!

So I started working on my car today. I didnt get all the way finished yet, but i did find some problems. All the plugs on my passenger side were extremely black and fouled out. The cracked wire I talked about was on the drivers side, so its not related. So i replaced all the plugs and wires. Obviously havent fired it up yet to see how it runs. But i still dont know what caused it to start running rich in the first place.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:03 PM
Launching!

Any ideas??
Old 06-06-2011, 01:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a temp gun, you can see if all cylinders are warming up evenly upon start up which could tell you if it's a specific cylinder acting up.
All you need is a squirt bottle and some water.

Al 95 Z28
Old 06-06-2011, 01:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Big Al
All you need is a squirt bottle and some water.

Al 95 Z28
I might give this a try. If I have one cylinder acting up, would that cause the whole side of the engine to run rich?
Old 06-06-2011, 02:02 PM
Staging Lane

My money is on this:

Your Cat is "plugged" with the excessive carbon from you running rich,...probally due to a Opti malfunction.

This happened to my 1995 Z28 about a year after buying it new.

Opti replaced under warranty, Cat "punched out" by private mechanic on GM mechanics unofficial,"Bob's your uncle" opinion.

I loved it, the car immediately sounded better,a little louder with a rasp at certain decel rpm's.

I put another 180,000 miles on that car with no more issues,...when I went to rebuild the motor it looked MINT inside, could have prolly got away with just main/rod bearings.

Last edited by TIIMuch; 06-06-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TIIMuch
My money is on this:

Your Cat is "plugged" with the excessive carbon from you running rich,...probally due to a Opti malfunction.
What if I dont have a the cats on my car? I put headers and a y pipe on about a year and a half ago, and also replaced the opti about 9 months ago.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by derekstl
What if I dont have a the cats on my car? I put headers and a y pipe on about a year and a half ago, and also replaced the opti about 9 months ago.
Alrighty then, my "money" idea is crap,...never mind.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TIIMuch
Alrighty then, my "money" idea is crap,...never mind.
Haha well thanks for the input then. I will keep inquiring untill I can figure it out. I was just hoping that finding out that all the plugs on the passenger side are fouled, but the drivers side is fine would really help narrow down what could be causing it to run rich.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

An exhaust leak and/or faulty O2 sensor would cause that problem.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 3 pedal SS
An exhaust leak and/or faulty O2 sensor would cause that problem.
This could be a possibility. I have some exhaust leaks where I clamped together the pipes from my y pipe. Is there any way to test an 02 Sensor??

Quick Reply: Knock Sensor??