LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

camshaft opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 10:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i didnt want to say this but i might as well, i just did this build over winter. i had it tuned barely a month ago. just like a week ago it started sputtering and had no power and i ran it anyway. rann good for a bit then got it home and sat for 5 min went to start it and it had a hard short crank tried again and same thing. finally started and was idle rough as i was backing out the check gauges light came on and sure enough it was HOT and when i shut it off white smoke went past the car. i smelled anti freeze and new i was in trouble. so i pulled the plugs and cylinder 2 and 8 where saoked and coolant gushed out of #2 . but almost every plug showed signs and antifreeze. so im checking intake gaskets and going from there
Old 05-18-2011, 10:22 PM
TECH Regular

intake gaskets aren't gonna show you anything, reverse-cooling, no coolant runs through the intake manifold.

but you will need to take the intake off to get to the heads...
Old 05-19-2011, 12:38 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lt1-xjs
We know they are not. Track times tell the story. A 300+ rwhp F-body should run 12.5x or better.
Again, another general statement that doesn't mean a whole lot because it excludes crucial details.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:50 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SS MPSTR
Again, another general statement that doesn't mean a whole lot because it excludes crucial details.
Give it a rest, Nancy Nitpicker.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:44 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ok based off of ur last post OP pull the heads off..............you blew a head gasket or two...........as for the dyno nuber dont even look at it........i've seen 100hp variance locally from one "conflicting" dyno to another.........example being.......last year my car ran consistant 10.3x @ 131-133 mph.......at 3500lbs I need about 520rwhp to do that.......one dyno said i made 463rwhp.......I think not........dyno numbers change like the wind they are merely a tuning tool and that is it........the internet crowd has gotten caught up in this "dyno number" fad...........thats all it is and nothing more than a fad........i could care less what i make........as long as the car runs strong thats all that matters to me...........keep in mind also.......you hear all these "hp numbers" but cars that make less "number" are faster........its called area under the curve..........everybody talks peak power not powerband.......

good luck on the gasket swap
Old 05-19-2011, 09:54 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LSWHO
Give it a rest, Nancy Nitpicker.
Nitpicking? Just cease generalizations and passing on ridiculous information. You really are a douche.

"Any cammed lt1 should be over 300. Bolt on cars should be too. 300 is weak."

******* laughable statement. Just admit it.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:16 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SS MPSTR
Nitpicking? Just cease generalizations and passing on ridiculous information. You really are a douche.

"Any cammed lt1 should be over 300. Bolt on cars should be too. 300 is weak."

******* laughable statement. Just admit it.
Dyno numbers are a joke, I admit that.

What I won't admit is a proper dyno with a working LT1 w/ cam will dyno over 300whp.

Can you show me a situation that makes my generalized statement incorrect?
Old 05-19-2011, 03:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

based on everyone tellin me i should be at least 300 with my setup has showed me i dont need to upgrade cams, but i will say this i have antifreeze in the combustion chambers and im wondering if its slowly been leaking the whole time and thats y i havnt seen the power im after. im gonna do a compression test next
Old 05-19-2011, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the 306 cam. I like it but if I could do it all over again I'd buy a custom grind.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

i have a stock converter and comp cams told me not to go any bigger because i will loose power to the tires with the stock stall
Old 05-19-2011, 04:08 PM
TECH Addict

A compression test certainly won't hurt; and can definitely help pinpoint the issue. My car was a dog on the dyno after putting in the cam (240 RWHP) but compression test showed no issues; I figured new spark plugs were in order since they come out anyway....turns out fouled E3 plugs were my problem and I picked up over 70 RWHP with some $2.50 each TR55 plugs after beating my head against a wall for weeks LOL. I would not trust ANY dyno numbers 100% though.... Dynos are better suited for measuring HP GAINS; not necessarily measuring precise HP numbers. What brand dyno was it? Dynojet, Mustang, Dyno-dynamics? Some are known to be more generous than others (**cough **Dynojet**cough**). A better test would be to take it to the dragstrip....even with a small cam you should be trapping 107-110 MPH...or race somebody with a stock LT1/LS1 to see how badly you beat it/they beat you. Good luck and don't give up...I was ready to put a LS1 in my car until I got new spark plugs of all things!
Old 05-19-2011, 05:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ahritchie
A compression test certainly won't hurt; and can definitely help pinpoint the issue. My car was a dog on the dyno after putting in the cam (240 RWHP) but compression test showed no issues; I figured new spark plugs were in order since they come out anyway....turns out fouled E3 plugs were my problem and I picked up over 70 RWHP with some $2.50 each TR55 plugs after beating my head against a wall for weeks LOL. I would not trust ANY dyno numbers 100% though.... Dynos are better suited for measuring HP GAINS; not necessarily measuring precise HP numbers. What brand dyno was it? Dynojet, Mustang, Dyno-dynamics? Some are known to be more generous than others (**cough **Dynojet**cough**). A better test would be to take it to the dragstrip....even with a small cam you should be trapping 107-110 MPH...or race somebody with a stock LT1/LS1 to see how badly you beat it/they beat you. Good luck and don't give up...I was ready to put a LS1 in my car until I got new spark plugs of all things!
thats funny because the first time i had it on the dyno it had a miss and i couldnt figure it out it put down 274 and turned out to be a closed plug from when i put my headers on. so it ran much better and i went to the dyno with everything in order and only made 277! wtf i figured with the miss it had i should have picked up way more
Old 05-19-2011, 06:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LigHtEmUp01
comp cams told me not to go any bigger because i will loose power to the tires with the stock stall
Wow. Terrible advice.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:06 PM
TECH Addict

when you pull the heads throw some imp HG's on to bump up the compression if you haven't already

Quick Reply: camshaft opinions