LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Pulling my hair out......Race car guys in here i need opinions....

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 10:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

well it was just an educated guess........but it seems as though it was a pretty damn good one lol.........i started with the colder ar473 plug, id rather be cold and foul them than be hot and blow it up......i put them in last night and drove the car around a bit on what was actually 33* of timing....i also bumped the idle up to 1450 or so....car needs the high idle to run correctly it seems.........i leaned it out to 12.5 AFR and the car ran great.......drove great other than a few lean issues at part throttle but thats just some tweaking i gotta do in the VE table.........the car pulled great at WOT right up to 7800 or so and never popped sputtered or anything.......made awesome power too car feels very strong........espicalyy with the new converter stall

i'll have some more data soon from the dyno and im heading to the track this saturday for what will hopefully be the first sucessful trip of the year....
Old 05-25-2011, 10:58 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was going to suggest that there might be a crank sync issue. I know LS guys with aftermarket computers have had issues with cam / crank sensor sync issues. One of the sensors ends up out of whack and provides incorrect data to the PCM. It sounds like the plugs might have helped it out, but with the 7al2, Fast, and distributor I would go through and make sure everything is setup as it should be.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:02 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
I was going to suggest that there might be a crank sync issue. I know LS guys with aftermarket computers have had issues with cam / crank sensor sync issues. One of the sensors ends up out of whack and provides incorrect data to the PCM. It sounds like the plugs might have helped it out, but with the 7al2, Fast, and distributor I would go through and make sure everything is setup as it should be.
yea its all there.........the only issue i found was i must have hit my timing pointer and i bent it......so i adjusted my crank btdc sync to match the pointer which because of the bend wound up being 4-5 degrees off......so what i thought was 34 was prob 38+.........i fixed the pointer and it should be good.........i went right through the whole system again.........checked the dizzy, re-found tdc and marked it, checked my wiring and made sure the xfi was programed correctly.............everything looks like a go right now so we'll see what happens.......

also i appreciate the responses everybody........any ideas help you'll be supprised what you dont think of when you get frustrated

Thanks!!!
Old 05-25-2011, 11:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike, are you reading the plugs to see what the engine likes timing wise?
Old 05-26-2011, 12:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dunno how I missed this thread, doesn't matter it was meant for guys with race cars, not me.

I'm happy that you got your issues resolved... I'm not surprised you saw an improvement with a tighter gap, and those HVC II coils are no joke! I'm sure someone in this thread could share what it feels like to be zapped by one

Just curious... on the dyno are you locking out timing for the pull?
Old 05-26-2011, 12:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh yea... are you running sequential now? I'd be curious of before/after EGTs with the plenum corrected single plane on there, and what kinda fuel trims you end up at

Quick Reply: Pulling my hair out......Race car guys in here i need opinions....