LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Has any used the Be Cool Radiator on an LT1?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The water runs hotish so that the oil can consistently get up to the temperature needed to boil off water vapor that has settled in it. This extends oil life and engine longevity. Believe it or not, the factory engineers did have a clue when they designed these cars.

The only actual reason to want a lower water temp is because you have increased cylinder pressure and need the heads cooler to prevent pre-ignition. If your engine is running cooler because you have been messing with it and you really don't need it, you are simply reducing engine life as well as fuel economy because of your ignorance.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 05HD
The water runs hotish so that the oil can consistently get up to the temperature needed to boil off water vapor that has settled in it. This extends oil life and engine longevity. Believe it or not, the factory engineers did have a clue when they designed these cars.

The only actual reason to want a lower water temp is because you have increased cylinder pressure and need the heads cooler to prevent pre-ignition. If your engine is running cooler because you have been messing with it and you really don't need it, you are simply reducing engine life as well as fuel economy because of your ignorance.
Engineers are not perfect, they make mistakes all the time. Look at where the opti is located.... I also believe that having your car running under 210 has more benefits then you think..

Everyone thanks for the replys.. I agree the the Be cool radiator set up is expensive, thats why I wanted the input.. My orginal radiator is 14 years old now, I just figured that it was time for an upgrade... thanks
Old 06-14-2011, 06:56 AM
-M-

I have a 180* thermo and have my fans set to run on high once they turn on. keeps my car a tad below half way in 107* Texas heat... sounds to me like you might have a coolant system grimlin

Originally Posted by bravo863
Engineers are not perfect, they make mistakes all the time. Look at where the opti is located....
Obviously you have a masters degree in engineering and know how how to build a much better car, right? remember, your speaking of 9-18 year old technology... everything has flaws when its MSRP was around $23,000 in its day.

I also believe that having your car running under 210 has more benefits then you think..
you are aware that there is such thing as too cold, right? besides that, what benefits are you looking at?

Last edited by -M-; 06-14-2011 at 07:07 AM.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The factory engineers also designed these cars with:

1. Older technology (the newest LT1 is 14 years old).

2. Designed to be driven year round anywhere from Alaska to southern Chile and anywhere in between.

3. Designed them with emissions requirements

4. Designed them to make good power but also "good" fuel economy and noise etc.

5. Designed them to meet a certain market price

We're driving these cars mostly in above freezing temperatures and sometimes care little about fuel economy or emissions. Also cars with aftermarket engines or power adders are going too generate a lot more heat anyway. The factory engineers did not entirely design these cars for people on these boards. A lot of people initially bought these cars with no intention of modding them.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:29 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28Roxy

1. Older technology (the newest LT1 is 14 years old).

2. Designed to be driven year round anywhere from Alaska to southern Chile and anywhere in between.

3. Designed them with emissions requirements

4. Designed them to make good power but also "good" fuel economy and noise etc.

5. Designed them to meet a certain market price

We're driving these cars mostly in above freezing temperatures and sometimes care little about fuel economy or emissions. Also cars with aftermarket engines or power adders are going too generate a lot more heat anyway. The factory engineers did not entirely design these cars for people on these boards. A lot of people initially bought these cars with no intention of modding them.
one of the best statements i've heard to sum thiings up..........nicely done
Old 06-14-2011, 08:31 AM
9 Second Club

Hey guys, I have a 97 Lt1 the temp gets up to 220, in this heat here in Florida's Summer... . I was wondering if anyone here has switched to the Be Cool Radiator and does it really drop your temperature 15 to 20 degrees.... I have a 160 thermostat already.... Thanks Jason
that does seem a bit warm......id turnt the fans on earlier and also run a 180 T Stat.............I run a 160 Stat in mine and i drive it around in 90* weather here in new england in the summer and it will never creep over 200 even with the stock radiator and fans on a high horsepower 14.22:1 CR motor in stop and go traffic.....make sure ur radiator is clean and the fins aren't bent and make sure the fans are working properly.........that radiator should cool with no problem

Last edited by quik95lt1; 06-14-2011 at 08:37 AM.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You don't need a BeCool unless you have a crazy setup. Just run a 160 thermostat and get your fans to come on sooner. Our radiators are very big actually - some LS1 owners convert to the LT1 radiator (thicker core).
I have a crazy setup....and I use the stock radiator. No issues.

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
160 T-stat and a tune with earlier fan settings and I never had an issue again, both with the stock wp and now electric. LT1s run hot stock for emissions reasons, most new cars do. I think the second fan setting isn't till like 220, so your is actually normal. The 160 never helped mine till I got it tuned and they changed the fan setting. Get a bolt on tune from some one and it'll be alright, lot cheaper then a new radiator.
IIRC, Fan#1 (low speed) comes on at 220, Fan#2 (high speed) comes on at 235 (stock settings).

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
So judging from what I've read in this thread, there is no benefit to running an aftermarket radiator?
Absolutely. NO reason to get an aftermarket radiator, no matter how "crazy" your setup is.

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
I run one, usually runs around 170, highest I've seen was 185 in gridlock.
With stock radiator, 160 T-stat, Meziere HD pump, and tune, I never EVER see above 185 on a hot day in gridlock.
So...I run just as cool as you, for a TON less money. I can think of better ways to spend $400+.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:52 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

05HD I reckon your generic crap statements didn't do you too well in this instance. At least you gave it the ol' college try. Nicely said, Z28Roxy.

Last edited by SS RRR; 06-14-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:48 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by qc97z
With stock radiator, 160 T-stat, Meziere HD pump, and tune, I never EVER see above 185 on a hot day in gridlock.
So...I run just as cool as you, for a TON less money. I can think of better ways to spend $400+.
eh mine came with it so no complaints stock wp here
Old 06-14-2011, 11:05 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
that does seem a bit warm......id turnt the fans on earlier and also run a 180 T Stat.............I run a 160 Stat in mine and i drive it around in 90* weather here in new england in the summer and it will never creep over 200 even with the stock radiator and fans on a high horsepower 14.22:1 CR motor in stop and go traffic.....make sure ur radiator is clean and the fins aren't bent and make sure the fans are working properly.........that radiator should cool with no problem
thanks... yeah i just have to find someone in my area that can program my fans to come on sooner...
Old 06-14-2011, 12:27 PM
9 Second Club

thanks... yeah i just have to find someone in my area that can program my fans to come on sooner...
np.........what would your location be? lol
Old 06-14-2011, 12:35 PM
TECH Resident

madtuner.com and pcmforless do mail order tunes. They will do a core deposit so you won't be without your PCM/car.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by qc97z
I have a crazy setup....and I use the stock radiator. No issues.
Yeah I've seen people use the stock radiator in SC and turbo builds like yours. My point was he needs to get 500+ before he even needs to think about it and even then the answer is still probably no.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:36 PM
Teching In

I run stock rad.160 ther,Fan's set to come on at start up with no over heating.In traffic 175~190 on the interstate 160.Does not warm up in the winter though.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:05 PM
-M-

I guess OP cant list the benefits of running a car below its recommended operating temperature? I thought maybe we all would be entertained with a few giggles...
Old 06-14-2011, 07:19 PM
10 Second Club

mine creeps up on the highway to 210+ in 80 degree weather. It's slow though, it will barely top out at 120, so 60mph is running it pretty hard
Old 06-16-2011, 01:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by -M-
I guess OP cant list the benefits of running a car below its recommended operating temperature? I thought maybe we all would be entertained with a few giggles...
Well, I'll list the benefits for my car. Running at 160 degrees as opposed to 190 is good for a consistent tenths in the quarter. But I may be 10 degrees off or so, I use a sophisticated contact thermometer rather than trust the PCM or temp gauge reading. BTW, those two OEM readings vary by 20 degrees. The gauge is not accurate at all.

This gain is also dyno verified, the lower temp is better by about 15 rwhp.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I can verify as well that when I ran back to back passes at Bandimere with
temps at 160 and 195 there was a solid 3 tenths difference . I like my Camaro
to run right around 170 . But realistically it stays right around 180 in traffic and
180-195 on the hwy . Outside temps also play a huge role in engine temps . If
its 70 degrees or cooler out my temps wont climb above 170 . I have the stock
radiator , 160 Tstat , fans are tuned , and a manual fan switch . I also flush
the coolant once to twice a year just because I want a consistently fresh
solution and I have OCD
Old 06-16-2011, 10:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by -M-
Not having to be concerned with over heating in Tampa/Orlando grid lock that is enuff for me.....
Old 06-17-2011, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just hook the fans up to key on power and let them run all the time. Cheaper than a manual.fan switch kit. Cheaper than a new tune. Can be done in less than 10 min and make sure you put a fuse if you do so. That way prevent fire and when your working on another part of car that needs power you can pull fuse so fans don't run. I run about 170 max with a 160 thermo fact water pump and radiator. Put coolant in before its too late, not dex either green and some 40 below if you want.

Quick Reply: Has any used the Be Cool Radiator on an LT1?