LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

How To Clean the LTx engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 02:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How To Clean the LTx engine bay

So after running across the "The Proper Cleaning of the LSx engine bay" thread wrote by Steve1969LS1, I decided to look and find what people had said about cleaning the LTx engines. Couldn't really find much, but a lot of people freaking out about how to clean our engine bays without damaging with opti.

The opti, like any other electrical component with delicate sensors are prone to water damage and failure. The opti just so happens to be right under the water pump which can cause a double wammy, and with the opti being so low and to the front of the engine it can be prone to water damage from car washes, heavy rains, puddles etc etc. Don't let this freak you out, the opti just needs some love and attention and it will be fine. Its sorta like a baby, people think they are fragile, but in reality they are pretty tough.

On to cleaning. Everybody has an opinion to what cleaners to use and what not but here is a general list of supplies needed to properly clean an LTx engine bay.

Supplies=

-Low pressure water hose (dont use a car wash bay wand!!!)
-Car wash shampoo (just use what you used to wash the car)
-degreaser (a lot of people seem to like simple green, purple power and grease lighting)
-small brush (toothbrush or equivalent)
-plastic bags or plastic and some black electrical tape (to cover electrics)
-Optional- Armor all, tire shine (foam is okay but can be a mess) or WD40 to give a shine and restore hoses

Directions=
-Make sure the car is cool, by cool I mean you can took the heads with your hands. A hot engine and cold water do not mix, the temp change can result in cracking a head or the block.
-Its not required but some people freak out about the opti getting wet, its hard to reach, but if you want cover it with some plastic and just tape around it. Cover the Air filter, especially if its a Ram Air car. Also cover the PCM, its on the passenger side up under the wiper cowl.
-Remove any billet/chrome/painted parts to prevent the degreaser from messing the finish up.
-Lightly spray the engine bay down not spraying directly on the MAF, PCM, battery, and the opti.
-Use whatever degreaser you prefer and spray the engine bay down, again avoiding water prone areas. Use a little bit more degreaser on spots where you may have had a leak or excessive grime build up.
-Use the brushes to attack any area that may need it, all depends on your engine really.
-Let degreaser sit for a few mins (2-4) and spray the engine bay down once again.
-Use tire shiner, armor all or WD40 on hoses and plastic pieces to get a good shine.
-A.)Drive to dry the engine off or use a leaf blower to dry the engine.

*Detailing an engine bay*
My LT1 intake is pitted pretty bad but I havent touched it yet. I have read about people using a wide array of sandpaper, starting at a 300 grit working there way up to wet sanding then using a polisher to polish the intake. (best done off the car).

Using small picks and screw drivers are a great way to reach into small areas to break up dirt and grease. Then use a paper towel pushed by a screw driver or such to grab hold of the grime and pull it out.

At a show it can be very handy to have a compressed can of air. Just to blow dust away.

Pulling the valve covers off and giving them a fresh coat of hi temp paint is also a good way to freshen up an engine bay. Also gives you a chance to check the rockers and springs.

Sorry to make such a long thread, just had to get my thoughts out there

Attached are some threads just to point out the obvious location of prone damage areas and my dirty engine bay (themostat stuck pushing coolant back out )

*Not responsible for any damage to your vehicle by using this method of cleaning. This is just my preferred method of how to clean.*
Attached Thumbnails How To Clean the LTx engine bay-dirty-engine-bay.jpg   How To Clean the LTx engine bay-dirty-engine-bay-2.jpg  

Last edited by grunt1152; 06-19-2011 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:52 AM
On The Tree

If weather permits tomorrow I will give my engine a good wash and post up some pics.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:46 PM
Launching!

with a awater hose in a LT1.... water goes everywhere u cant cover the opti. I wont do it, but the rest of it is helpfulll
Old 06-19-2011, 07:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Good input, i would add a disclaimer though, saying you are not responsible for anyone who attempts such methods listed.

Honestly i think the best way to do it is just with a metric **** ton of towels, and your degreaser of choice.

Some of these cars are high mileage cars, dont forget that. Another good time to clean the engine bay is when the engine is out of it .
Old 06-19-2011, 07:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by curacaoz28
with a awater hose in a LT1.... water goes everywhere u cant cover the opti. I wont do it, but the rest of it is helpfulll
You can use the low pressure/mist setting on a sprayer. I worked at a car wash and it had the under carriage sprayers that sprayed at close to 500psi. Took my car through it up to 5 times a week and never had one problem.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by trilkb
Good input, i would add a disclaimer though, saying you are not responsible for anyone who attempts such methods listed.

Honestly i think the best way to do it is just with a metric **** ton of towels, and your degreaser of choice.

Some of these cars are high mileage cars, dont forget that. Another good time to clean the engine bay is when the engine is out of it .
Very True! This is just my preferred method of cleaning and realized there wasnt a thread over the LTx. As far as high mileage, my car is still running strong at 132xxx. It did have a valve replaced back in 09 though by the previous owner.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

I always washed mine with the engine running; at least when I was spraying any sort of fluid.

Start it cold, and just start cleaning; the water from the hose won't have that much of an effect on the engine as it warms up. I wouldn't suggest this if you just got done road-racing the car and it was steaming hot. But if the car's just been sitting in the driveway, I see no harm in starting it up and letting it idle as you wash the engine bay.

This also keep moisture from staying inside the opti if you do get some there if you have a 96/97 car with the vented Opti.

I would also note that I wouldn't totally advise this if you have a paper air filter CAI or Ram-Air setup (Cloth/oil style only).

Otherwise what you posted is pretty much what I always used to keep things clean.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO the water enters the opti at the sensor connector on the top. That rubber seal shrinks over the years and no longer seals out the moisture. Replace the rubber seal and it goes a long way. When I get some time, I am going to make something to help better seal that area.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wrd1972
IMO the water enters the opti at the sensor connector on the top. That rubber seal shrinks over the years and no longer seals out the moisture. Replace the rubber seal and it goes a long way. When I get some time, I am going to make something to help better seal that area.
Good point, never really thought of that to be honest. But like 97Formula said, the vented optis, and the open element filters are a huge concern. But, with anything else if youre careful about it you will be fine.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:11 PM
TECH Regular

I've taken mine through drive through car washes recently. Just the brushless kind, I do it once in a while just to clean the undercarriage mainly. I've done this dozens of times in 13 years I've had it and never had an opti problem. When cleaning the engine compartment I just spray it all down with simple green then spray it off with the mist setting.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GREGG 97Z
I've taken mine through drive through car washes recently. Just the brushless kind, I do it once in a while just to clean the undercarriage mainly. I've done this dozens of times in 13 years I've had it and never had an opti problem. When cleaning the engine compartment I just spray it all down with simple green then spray it off with the mist setting.
Exactly! Like I said, I worked at a car wash so my car got taken through up to 5 times a week and never had a problem.

Quick Reply: How To Clean the LTx engine bay