LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

4l60e slipage?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 02:54 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4l60e slipage?

94 Z28

Car has your basic everyones done it 383. TCI 3600 stall and a Marshall "Performance" transmission.

Anyways all moving(Forward and Reverse) gears it itll barely move on level ground. Going up an incline it goes backwards... It was a pain to get in our shop. Hooked it up and threw it in drive and it was showing Solenoid A and B on when I put it in 1st. Even up on the lift itll barely turn the wheels over.

Also when its on the life itll be about 2500 before the wheels will start to turn.

Just kinda looking for some advice of what to try and look for when I head back over to the shop tomorrow. Thanks.

Trans and stall have about 5k on them and the warrenty has only been up for a few months... so that sucks.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:38 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

TCI stalls are marginal at best for this tranny.

That "builder" looks very Jasper like.

Looks to me like you bought junk and got junk.

Ask them if they will help since it is barely out of warranty. If they wont then do some research this time and try and do it right.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:35 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
TCI stalls are marginal at best for this tranny.

That "builder" looks very Jasper like.

Looks to me like you bought junk and got junk.

Ask them if they will help since it is barely out of warranty. If they wont then do some research this time and try and do it right.

Ok thanks for that in depth help, maybe use some of that knowledge to give an idea. I bough what was available being the fact the last trans went while I was working about 1000 miles from home.

And whats there to research with such helpful people such as yourself.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you check the fluid? Is it metallic looking and burnt smelling? any codes?
Old 07-03-2011, 07:07 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by transbird95

I had similar issues with my transmission. FYI, I bought it from Mad Dog Transmissions. It was slipping after it had warmed up and would throw me into the rev limiter. I dropped the pan and the fluid was full of trash. I assume it was clutch material and metal shavings. Some one on this site suggested that I "change the fluid and see what happens" and everyone ripped him a new ******* for stating the basics. I was sold that my tranny was ruined. I flushed the tranny, changed the fluid, add a bottle of Lucas and never looked back. My transmission is shifting like clock work. It's been almost 2 months I think and she's still holding strong. Regardless to what others have stated Mad Dog has quality work. I shift at 6700. Flush the tranny and see what happens. At worst your out of $70.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:21 PM
11 Second Club

There is the problem you get "feedback" from someone who bought junk and is happy when a fluid change got him 2 more months. My tranny is 7.5 years old, half that time it was my only car, first installed in a cam only setup, these days it is in a heads/cam CAPRICE which will lift the front end off the ground on it's way to mid 11s.

Changing fluid has occasionally bought someone more time BUT that time should be spent figuring out an actual repair because things are damaged.

Far as the OP's issue, if it were minor it sounds like it has been pushed so hard in diagnosis I would just assume it is scrap, if done by a remanufacturer it wasn't good work to begin with.

Companies like ProBuilt, Rossler, and FLT are genuinely good.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:09 PM
11 Second Club

There is the problem you get "feedback" from someone who bought junk and is happy when a fluid change got him 2 more months. My tranny is 7.5 years old, half that time it was my only car, first installed in a cam only setup, these days it is in a heads/cam CAPRICE which will lift the front end off the ground on it's way to mid 11s.

Changing fluid has occasionally bought someone more time BUT that time should be spent figuring out an actual repair because things are damaged.

Far as the OP's issue, if it were minor it sounds like it has been pushed so hard in diagnosis I would just assume it is scrap, if done by a remanufacturer it wasn't good work to begin with.

To bad the only "quailty transmission" ever built was sold to an ******* like you.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

^^^ I couldn't agree more!! I don't post much but have been reading post for a while now. And its funny that this *** hardly ever has positive words! Props for getting your boat into 11s, but you ain't the **** in my book!
Old 07-04-2011, 06:08 AM
12 Second Club

Last time I checked about all our trans are rebuilt. I have had a Marshall Heavy Duty trans in our truck for about 5 years and havnt had one problem with it so thats good enough for me. And it pulls trees that have more weight than your car could even hold. Yea maybe it was trash to begin with but it seems when you research stuff on here its just people arguing which name brand **** works and noone ever agreeses, I tried something different and it might have backfired. But if its something electrical Id like to figure that out not buy a new trans to hear someone say wow it was just a $15 fix...

Originally Posted by lncboytre_d
I had similar issues with my transmission. FYI, I bought it from Mad Dog Transmissions. It was slipping after it had warmed up and would throw me into the rev limiter. I dropped the pan and the fluid was full of trash. I assume it was clutch material and metal shavings. Some one on this site suggested that I "change the fluid and see what happens" and everyone ripped him a new ******* for stating the basics. I was sold that my tranny was ruined. I flushed the tranny, changed the fluid, add a bottle of Lucas and never looked back. My transmission is shifting like clock work. It's been almost 2 months I think and she's still holding strong. Regardless to what others have stated Mad Dog has quality work. I shift at 6700. Flush the tranny and see what happens. At worst your out of $70.

Fluid is perfect no shavings nothing odd. A little dark but not **** really. Smells exactly the same as a bottle I have sitting here of new fluid.

Originally Posted by lncboytre_d
To bad the only "quailty transmission" ever built was sold to an ******* like you.
Agreeded
Old 07-04-2011, 06:09 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by transbird95
Nothing that our snap-on computer is picking up.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:36 AM
Staging Lane

Call performabuilt get it done
Old 07-04-2011, 10:53 AM
11 Second Club

I never said I got the only good rebuild, I actually recommended three companies by name and only one of them built my tranny. But I know of examples by the other two standing up to a LOT more than I have ever thrown at mine. Rossler has a 4L60E in a full weight Impala that is well into the 150mph range in the quarter.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:41 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by hookngo
Call performabuilt get it done
Was that an attempt to help or to get a post count?

Quick Reply: 4l60e slipage?