LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

94z28 Camaro Pcm problems need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 02:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94z28 Camaro Pcm problems need Help!

I've got a problem with my 94 Camaro.Here is what I did.I had a 1997 z28 camaro that had been tuned and everything ran good until it was wrecked the motor still ran good.I put engine in a 94z28 without a pcm so i used one from a 95 manual trans z28 and it never would shift gears no power too.So I used the one fro the 97z28 it shifts but still no power and pops at times.One guy told me to change the Knock sensor I did didn't help.Can you help or do you have any suggestions.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

OK, Need more info on the mods, are you A4 and you put in a M6 pcm there is no shift points so no, your tranny will not shift. if you are installing a PCM with a stock tune on a modded motor that will be the problem..
Old 07-12-2011, 11:07 AM
Teching In

Default 94z28Camaro Pcm problems

Like I said the engine pcm was high performance tuned the engine ran perfect even after it was wrecked.I just switched bodies the engine stayed the same all but the knock sensor I changed it.The car starts right up every time does'nt vibrate or nothing just when I excellerate it responds poorly no power like its a 4 cylinder or something.It pops sometime when im trying to go through the gears.Im pretty sure its something simple maybe water in the gas or something.The 94 body I used was kept inside so I dont think there is water in the tank.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:25 AM
TECH Addict

Knock sensor will not cause the engine to perform that poorly, Missing, popping sounds like ignition, or fuel delivery. Have you pulled any plugs to see what they look like, Any engine codes, could be the opti, injectors. How long did the engine sit, Maybe moisture got into the opti. or the injectors are varnished up. Was there old gas in that car. Fuel pressure good when you throttle it up? just start with basics.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:37 PM
Teching In

Engine never sit I would still start it weekly. Im wondering when I was wiring the motor I noticed that the coil connections were different on the 94.So I changed the end so it would work the 94& 97 coils are different and I guess the opti sparks are different.But it starts like normal. Ihave checked the fuel filter at first it seemed like water was it I changed filters.I dont see how injectors would go bad just like that.My main question is the compatability of the engine ,pcm ,opti spark,coil,ect.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:41 PM
Teching In

What's the fuel pressure psi when ribbing the engine and when idleing?
Old 07-12-2011, 04:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by gld7
Engine never sit I would still start it weekly. Im wondering when I was wiring the motor I noticed that the coil connections were different on the 94.So I changed the end so it would work the 94& 97 coils are different and I guess the opti sparks are different.But it starts like normal. Ihave checked the fuel filter at first it seemed like water was it I changed filters.I dont see how injectors would go bad just like that.My main question is the compatability of the engine ,pcm ,opti spark,coil,ect.
It all works together, when customers swap over from OBD II to OBD I all they do is change out the PCM and knock sensor, no harness, no connectors. It had to be something else. Bad ground? or I don't know if you can wire the coil backwards.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:48 PM
Teching In

Well I got it seem to have had some moisture in the gas tank. Now I need to fix the temp guage IM not getting a reading on the dash.I guess the sensors are the same Heh! Like I said she runs better but not like it did when the motor was in the 97z28.Maybe I need to get it tuned again IM not sure what the gear ratio is now THE REAR END IS NOT THE ORIGINAL FOR THE 94.

Quick Reply: 94z28 Camaro Pcm problems need Help!