LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Help Plan A Boosted LT1

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 05:10 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
Thanks for all of the responses guys. And about the $10k number I mentioned I was just throwing that out there, I know it will end up being more than that if I want to build it right.

I'll change my first post thanks to Z28Roxy. My plan is to buy a block this fall and start gathering parts here and there. I have an engine builder, but am open to different options, but having this guy semi locally is nice. Now after reading what you guys posted I want to go Procharger again haha. But it will be a while before I need to make the decision, the bottom end of the motor will be the same. The cam might be different between the turbo and the charger, but that will be picked after the boost is picked.

Thanks again guys
I would just make a realistic budget and try to stay some where close to it. It's easy to go off budget, I did on the NA 383 i did. Taking your time with this is not a bad thing. It took me 2-3 years on my NA 383.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sc0tt30
I would just make a realistic budget and try to stay some where close to it. It's easy to go off budget, I did on the NA 383 i did. Taking your time with this is not a bad thing. It took me 2-3 years on my NA 383.
Nope no budget. If it takes me 5 years to build the setup then it takes 5 years. I built my NA 355 on a "budget" and that got out of hand pretty quickly. But I had to do a handful of things twice since it was my first build. Tore the tranny out after 200 miles, rings didn't seat the first time, head gasket blew out on the ring change, and so on. As well as having to build 2 different exhaust setups since I changed my TA from a short arm to a long arm, now I'm on my 3rd setup.

I just don't want to limit myself on some things and wish I would have done "insert example here" the first time around. I know its going to be expensive, theres no way around that. Hell the blower setup is over $5k, now add heads, port job, custom cam, and a bullet proof bottom end and its over $10k already without adding the supporting mods to make it work right. I could build a turbo kit and make all of my own hot & cold side stuff and save some money, but I seem to have less and less time to do things for myself with work and life happening. At this point I'd rather pay someone who has built the kits and proven that they fit and work, but I always love saying that I built something when someone ask where I got that part.

Now for a technical question, what exactly is o ringing the block and when is it needed? I'm planning on running 15#+ of boost, will more than likely run the motor on e85 (if needed) and it will probably have a snow kit on it too (if needed)
Old 07-17-2011, 06:29 PM
TECH Addict

BTW can someone tell me what seats are in the Turbo Camaro in the clip??
Old 07-18-2011, 11:51 AM
TECH Resident

Smile

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
NoMoreLS1 Badass build, the car looks great. I want to do something very similar to what you did. Do you have any videos of the car in action?

Thanks.

Here are a few...

With muffler:

Without muffler:

"55" mph:

"30" mph (yes... it has an air horn):
Old 07-18-2011, 11:57 AM
TECH Resident

Smile

Originally Posted by SRZ
As long as the belt alignment is perfect, you'll have no problem whatsoever. As for turbo's, yeah they're the heat, literally. LOL I like Blackbird love the linear curve of the ProCharger. Getting hit w/ gobs of boost down low w/ a turbo takes some skill and getting used to unless you're running a eboost system. Either way you'll hit 700rwhp if done correctly. My next project car will be a single 88mm as I'm shooting for a more quiet approach and have one of each. I LOVE my F1 and big red BPV. Scares little kids where ever I go. But I like a suttle approach too.

Only thing I'd change is not going w/ hardblock. GL on what ever you decide as I know it's hard to make up the mind.
You can hear the F1 and BPV from a mile away!!! Good to see that you found your way to this board. Weird... I was just thinking about you the other day when I looked at the beer stein that you sent me.

Mitch
Old 07-18-2011, 12:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm running an F1A with an FMIC, no meth. It's running perfectly so far.
12-rib is a must, but definitely look into the SDCE setup. Alignment is absolutely key.
I sort of buzzed over everything, but I noticed someone mentioned injector size. I'm running 82# injectors on mine, and I'm sitting at 648 RWHP. If I were you, I'd be right up in my neighborhood for injector size.
My bottom end is Eagle crank, rods, SRP pistons. No Callies/bling parts, and they're doing the job just fine.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by qc97z
I'm running an F1A with an FMIC, no meth. It's running perfectly so far.
12-rib is a must, but definitely look into the SDCE setup. Alignment is absolutely key.
I sort of buzzed over everything, but I noticed someone mentioned injector size. I'm running 82# injectors on mine, and I'm sitting at 648 RWHP. If I were you, I'd be right up in my neighborhood for injector size.
My bottom end is Eagle crank, rods, SRP pistons. No Callies/bling parts, and they're doing the job just fine.
Thanks for the reply, I have thought about getting Eagle bottom end parts, but I'll see what happens when I start gathering parts. My car needs some more work before I'm ready to throw a 700 hp motor in it.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Me and my brother went over his build last night and hes decided to keep the carb and do a blow through setup, no intercooler, and e85. He has 2 stock 350s from early 90s chevy trucks and is planning on throwing 6-8 psi at them and see how they go. If the motor in his truck seems like its going to hold the power he is going to start building the 2nd motor he has sitting there. It will be a very basic setup, but that truck should move if it will hook
Old 07-18-2011, 04:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

A 355ci TC76/78 or T76GTS will easily reach your goals.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^^^^^^^^^ If you decide to go turbo, go with this guy ^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 07-19-2011, 12:50 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RealQuick
A 355ci TC76/78 or T76GTS will easily reach your goals.
I'm strongly considering doing something along these lines, but I'm having trouble sticking to something this early in the planning process. I also have thought a 383 with an 88, but I think that may be a bit much, but who knows, I'll PM you

^^^^^^^^^^^ If you decide to go turbo, go with this guy ^^^^^^^^^^^
Definitely, his turbo packages have always been an interest of mine and over the years his kits keep looking better and better
Old 07-19-2011, 08:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^ Absolutely. RealQuick has a huge following on LTXTech. For some reason the site is down at the moment, but you should check out some of his threads. He posts pics of his current projects, and is reasonable on cost. The quality of his work just keeps getting better.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:13 PM
TECH Addict

^ Absolutely. RealQuick has a huge following on LTXTech. For some reason the site is down at the moment, but you should check out some of his threads. He posts pics of his current projects, and is reasonable on cost. The quality of his work just keeps getting better.
Yup I go over there quite a bit, my username on there is Ninety5PoloZ I have been checking out some of the builds using his kits and keep going to his site to look at the kits.

Quick Reply: Help Plan A Boosted LT1