LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

5ABIVT almost Alive !! Few sneak peak pics of the Motor !! :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 12:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sick *** *****!!! I really like seeing a rev friendly ltx platform. Being a former import nut myself I like high rpms as well! Keep us up to date on this and good job...
Old 07-23-2011, 02:10 PM
TECH Addict

O baby! thats some pure LTx p0rn right there!!! build looks sick as ****, I cant wait to see how it performs and how it sounds!! I was going to use a lion comparison myself
can you give us a ballpark on the cam duration? and how come that shop hates AFR so much that they'd turn away your biz?
Old 07-23-2011, 02:51 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's Fancy.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Big money build right here. Some very nice parts.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:32 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 93QWKZEE
Sick *** *****!!! I really like seeing a rev friendly ltx platform. Being a former import nut myself I like high rpms as well! Keep us up to date on this and good job...
Hell yeah I respect anyone that has interest in cars alot of my friends had imports and while there aren't many that I would have over my cars I always liked the fact that they were just more higher tech (dohc 4v etc). I actually liked driving my friends civic SIR back in the day with 8k redline. Sounded fantastic and smooth as butter up there even though I could probably run faster than his car I figured hell why not build a big v-8 to spin eh? best of both worlds !

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
O baby! thats some pure LTx p0rn right there!!! build looks sick as ****, I cant wait to see how it performs and how it sounds!! I was going to use a lion comparison myself
can you give us a ballpark on the cam duration? and how come that shop hates AFR so much that they'd turn away your biz?

i believe cam Duration is around 260s lift just under .700.

The shoppe I dealt with .. man I could go on forever... were really just protecting their own interests of course. Whatever money I spent on porting them the first time went into his pocket. he just wanted that money. I wanted AFRs to save time and he turned me away. I am Honestly SO HAPPY i cut ties with them even before I built the motor I heard horror stories etc but I chose to trust them. ALOT went on at that shoppe that I tried to make the better of. It was a valuable learning experience. They werent an LTX experienced shoppe. They were an engine building shoppe. There was much much more negative that I experienced than positive however. In the end Im just choosing to put it behind me. I'm not one for confrontation but based on everything that happened if I was i'd probably be behind bars

They told me the engine was rebuildable and all I needed was 1 rod and new heads etc and they could slap it all together. After I chose to cut ties and Build a fresh motor down south I went back to pick up my parts and wow.. 4/7 remaining rods were bent. almost all the pistons were missing chunks off the top. I had the heads flowed by 3 different shoppes at my expense and they flowed NOTHING like he said they did. Again I was just so happy that i decided to start fresh and take the opportunity to do it right ! In the end the ONLY part I am re-using is the intake manifold and even that had to have major work done to it to get it fixed.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:38 AM
12 Second Club

holy **** ***** that bad ***

if you dotn mien me askign how much was it to get the caps and have the block splayed??
Old 07-24-2011, 10:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Nastyc4
Hell yeah I respect anyone that has interest in cars alot of my friends had imports and while there aren't many that I would have over my cars I always liked the fact that they were just more higher tech (dohc 4v etc). I actually liked driving my friends civic SIR back in the day with 8k redline. Sounded fantastic and smooth as butter up there even though I could probably run faster than his car I figured hell why not build a big v-8 to spin eh? best of both worlds !

i believe cam Duration is around 260s lift just under .700.

The shoppe I dealt with .. man I could go on forever... were really just protecting their own interests of course. Whatever money I spent on porting them the first time went into his pocket. he just wanted that money. I wanted AFRs to save time and he turned me away. I am Honestly SO HAPPY i cut ties with them even before I built the motor I heard horror stories etc but I chose to trust them. ALOT went on at that shoppe that I tried to make the better of. It was a valuable learning experience. They werent an LTX experienced shoppe. They were an engine building shoppe. There was much much more negative that I experienced than positive however. In the end Im just choosing to put it behind me. I'm not one for confrontation but based on everything that happened if I was i'd probably be behind bars

They told me the engine was rebuildable and all I needed was 1 rod and new heads etc and they could slap it all together. After I chose to cut ties and Build a fresh motor down south I went back to pick up my parts and wow.. 4/7 remaining rods were bent. almost all the pistons were missing chunks off the top. I had the heads flowed by 3 different shoppes at my expense and they flowed NOTHING like he said they did. Again I was just so happy that i decided to start fresh and take the opportunity to do it right ! In the end the ONLY part I am re-using is the intake manifold and even that had to have major work done to it to get it fixed.
Sucks to hear about your shop issues, but at least you are on the right track now.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:13 AM
TECH Resident

This engine is too beautiful to beat on. Needs to be displayed on a plinth in your front yard.

Al 95 Z28 with an ugly engine that belongs under the hood
Old 07-24-2011, 11:51 AM
On The Tree

Thats an awesome C4! Build looks like it will put down some awesome numbers. Whos building your new motor?
Old 07-26-2011, 08:05 AM
TECH Resident

Cool

Originally Posted by Big bird55
holy **** ***** that bad ***

if you dotn mien me askign how much was it to get the caps and have the block splayed??
I dont recall on machining because it was done with all prepping of the block as well. I believe the caps were over $1k and cots me about 12-1300 cdn back then after duty and taxes etc The big $$ cap was the oil cap because its so big I guess but I was like F** it lets go billet everything down there

Originally Posted by Puck
Sucks to hear about your shop issues, but at least you are on the right track now.
Thanks I'm sure its a familiar story/experience for many people. I certainly know Im on the right track now. i got cylinder heads guys do do my top end and a top notch builder to assemble the whole thing. I don't think there's any better way really. At least for me anyways.

Originally Posted by Big Al
This engine is too beautiful to beat on. Needs to be displayed on a plinth in your front yard.

Al 95 Z28 with an ugly engine that belongs under the hood
haha yeah tell me about it I cant stop looking at the bottom end pics its so awesome to look at. I keep asking for more and more pics it's sad its all covered up.

Originally Posted by Sof86
Thats an awesome C4! Build looks like it will put down some awesome numbers. Whos building your new motor?
Thanks for the comment on the car My c4 is my pride and joy I have years into it.

None other than Karl Ellwein
Old 07-26-2011, 03:41 PM
TECH Addict

Wow...I didn't know the LT platform was capable of turning 8500 rpms that's insane! It's cool to see a LT build going the path less taken. Just curious though, about how much more does a ultra high-end build like this cost compared to the $6-8K most spend on "cookie-cutter" strokers? $15-20K or more? Not that it's any of my business; I can't help but wonder.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ahritchie
Wow...I didn't know the LT platform was capable of turning 8500 rpms that's insane! It's cool to see a LT build going the path less taken. Just curious though, about how much more does a ultra high-end build like this cost compared to the $6-8K most spend on "cookie-cutter" strokers? $15-20K or more? Not that it's any of my business; I can't help but wonder.
Haven't actually sat and counted, but I'm probably between 12 and 15K once everything is said and done.

**Edit** That is also with quite a few good deals and forum hookups.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:46 PM
Staging Lane

forgive the ignorance, but how are the journals honda'd? what's the advance they've had over chevy? I've worked on hondas long enough to know that they usually take some of their parts a step further, mainly their bottom ends.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by diablizzard
forgive the ignorance, but how are the journals honda'd? what's the advance they've had over chevy? I've worked on hondas long enough to know that they usually take some of their parts a step further, mainly their bottom ends.
its not actual honda parts, its a smaller rod journal size of 1.88", the same size of honda's journals
it weighs less and has less friction than sbc's standard 2.100"(post '67 of course, pre 67 was 2.00")
Old 07-26-2011, 06:31 PM
12 Second Club

I love it, sick C4!! Glad to see someone follow a different path with a LTx. Need more pics of the motor and another video in/out of the car
Old 07-26-2011, 06:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
its not actual honda parts, its a smaller rod journal size of 1.88", the same size of honda's journals
it weighs less and has less friction than sbc's standard 2.100"(post '67 of course, pre 67 was 2.00")
Thank you, I was wondering what the design was. I didn't think it was honda in manufacture. That efficiency definately makes sense with wanting to rev high. Has anybody gone the 302 route, wouldn't the shorter stroke allow the engine to rev higher?
Old 07-26-2011, 06:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by diablizzard
Thank you, I was wondering what the design was. I didn't think it was honda in manufacture. That efficiency definately makes sense with wanting to rev high. Has anybody gone the 302 route, wouldn't the shorter stroke allow the engine to rev higher?
For an NA build you never really want to sacrifice cubes. Any RPM capacity increase will be offset by losing a full 48ci, and for a turbo build there has been all sorts of theory crafting for destroked SBC, but I can't say I've ever seen one actually made.

I think Gizmo wanted to do a high RPM 327 at one point for fun...IMO there is no replacement for displacement - a turbo 350 will still make more power then a turbo 302, even if it doesn't spin as high.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:23 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ahritchie
Wow...I didn't know the LT platform was capable of turning 8500 rpms that's insane!

Why? It's a SBC with some architectural differences that do not preclude turning RPM.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:47 AM
TECH Resident

Just an update for now.. Builder got me a quick snap of a mockup with the heads/intake and pan on. Intake is coated with a heat dissipating coating supposedly developed by Nasa. Think it was Swaintech that did it quite some time ago. Throttle body is Callaway piece. Timing cover is temporary the one being used has the wp hole welded and is being clear powder coated. I went clear so it would be silver since the entire water pump is coated black with a black hd mezziere on it. The black/silver is the theme

This weekend I'll be bleeding the entire brake system and installing the 6 piston Baers up front In talks with a cnc shoppe to make me custom caliper brackets that will allow me to run a 14 or 15 inch 2 piece rotor up front.

Thinking about making a super vic manifold with an elbow on top but need it to fit under the stock c4. Hogan sent me a few pics I like this one but would prefer one big plenum. I thought of perhaps Hogan designing a large plenum to sit on top of a supervic with 2 large 'lung' type plenums sitting over each side all the way over to the valve covers.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:59 AM
On The Tree

Quick Reply: 5ABIVT almost Alive !! Few sneak peak pics of the Motor !! :)