LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

If I decide to do long tubes...

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 06:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My jet hot long tubes fit perfect and don't hit on anything. I've had them on on about 4 years and the coating holds up great and still looks new.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have hooker super comps and had no problem with them. The y pipe on the other hand smacks the hell out of the crossmember, cut the lip off where it was hitting and re-welded 1/8 in it's place, still smacks the hell out of it.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AR15 guy
What do I need to do to keep the headers/Y from smacking the floor?

So far both sets I have installed slammed the floor...on a 95z and 02 formula. It has driven me to the point I am considering MAC mids instead.
I hate long tubes because of the install, but my LPPs went in very smooth. The Y didn't hit after a couple readjustments. I would get a welder friend and do some modding to the pipes to get them from not hitting without a BFH.

But if you aren't going too far with the car, mids will be perfectly fine.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:53 PM
Staging Lane

I've got StainlessWorks headers & Y on my 95 Formula. No trouble hitting floor yet. I did do new engine mounts. SW Y Pipe is a 3 piece design, so you can play with it a little. I wish I could have adjusted it laterally a little better, so that the pipe runs a little closer to the drive shaft.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by AR15 guy
I'm worried about vibrations through my shifter if I run poly mounts. I stuck a poly mount in my car when I changed the clutch and I thought something was about to break it vibrated so bad. My shifter would make all kinds of insane noise until I swapped the mount.

Would motor mounts do that?
No...I have both poly motor and trans mounts, most of the vibrations comes through the trans mount (barley noticeable for me...I have one of both my f-bodies)...the tradeoff is no flex or side to side movement of the shifter with the engine torque when you get on it. The poly motor mounts will probably give you more exhaust clearance too.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ahritchie
No...I have both poly motor and trans mounts, most of the vibrations comes through the trans mount (barley noticeable for me...I have one of both my f-bodies)...the tradeoff is no flex or side to side movement of the shifter with the engine torque when you get on it. The poly motor mounts will probably give you more exhaust clearance too.
I heard they give you less clearance since it jacks up the engine a little higher. Hopefully what I heard was wrong though, since my headers are kinda of facing up from the trans mount and stock motor mouths, it's making my y smack the crossmember bad.

Quick Reply: If I decide to do long tubes...