LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Trying to get opinions and what you think this motor is worth.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 05:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 93v8clone
how is it not a correct way . blower pistons and no2 pistons are very simaler . both have a thick deck to handle the abuse etc etc . comp ratio is fine for what he doing etc etc
OK so maybe he was told that this application would work for him, going by your statement.

Nitrous pistons and blower pistons are two completely different animals. The way the motor is built for each is completely different as well. They share some similarities but thats about where the comparisons can end.

You wouldn't put a blower on a 11.5:1+ nitrous built motor.

You wouldn't have the same performance out of an 11.5:1+ NA motor (thats what most are building) as you will a 9.5:1 or less dependant upon many things.

If we go by the standard 3% increase per point of compression that is 6% left on the table right there, without any other contributing factors. Then add the differences in the cam. Now add the efficiency of the motor on top of that because of the 24cc dish the quench is going to be very high even with zero decking. That isn't an issue in forced induction but it is in a NA nitrous motor where a flat top or pop up piston would be used to raise compression. That is what controls detonation.

Why would you revert from the factory engineering and not use the benefits of an aluminum head with reversed flow cooling by dropping down compression, instead of increasing it, if you knew you werent going to FI.?

Again, not saying the quality of the motor or parts are bad.....I am stating that for what he wanted it is not the right combination. As per my earlier post, turbo or blown and it will perform. If not they will be disappointed and then they will be on here screaming, kicking and crying about how they got ripped off and that xxxx motorsports sucks etc. etc. etc.....

I just dont see it any other way....so respectfully I will disagree
Old 07-29-2011, 05:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well put gator. It's like throwing away HP. Now granted if he is getting a killer deal, hopefully the replacement of the pistons and rebalanced makes it still all worth the effort, time and money.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jpack
Well put gator. It's like throwing away HP. Now granted if he is getting a killer deal, hopefully the replacement of the pistons and rebalanced makes it still all worth the effort, time and money.
You know how much good pistons cost, that probably places it in the same category as others, plus the rebalance etc.....
Old 07-29-2011, 06:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no idea what stuff costs...lol.... I got a certain person that hooks me up at his cost....... but in all seriousness, the engine would have to be pretty cheap to warrant the road trip to go get it and hopefully makes the right decision while it is out to set it up correctly .
Old 07-30-2011, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also picked up an engine stand from Harbor Freight and I'm trying to figure out what size and length of bolts are needed for the engine.

Picked up the motor today and it's ******* perfect! My local engine builder is trading my pistons and cam for nitrous pistons and cam so everything is going to be A Ok.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:47 PM
9 Second Club

you keep saying it was a great deal...how much did you spend on it?
Old 07-31-2011, 12:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I paid $1800 for the motor
Old 07-31-2011, 08:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by am_muscl
I paid $1800 for the motor
Not a bad deal for 1800. Now the question is how much is it costing to swap the pistons+cam?
Old 07-31-2011, 09:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It's gonna be an even trade for the pistons and cam, he's doing the work for nothing.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:25 AM
TECH Regular

just make sure you get those pistons changed and be done with it. GL with the swap.

Quick Reply: Trying to get opinions and what you think this motor is worth.