LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lt1 Cranks and eventually fires.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lt1 Cranks and eventually fires.

So I recently purchased a 1994 Caprice pc1. First it had an oil leak which i fixed. Just yesterday I bused a hose from my heater core and got the whole area under the hood wet. I replace the hose and car cranks and fires, it runs perfect all night, and most of this morning.

So today I drive over to a friends house and on my way to leave, it cranks but will not fire! After letting it sit for about an hour i walk back to my car and it starts and runs perfect. Here are some other things which may be related.

When running and moving it runs perfect but when i slow down or come to idle there is sometimes a misfire.

So I'm thinking a new opti spark and plugs are in order, I would just like some other opinions on the matter.

Thanks ahead of time.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why does everybody blame the Optispark every time something happens? "My car has a flat tire and I replaced the Opti and it's still flat!" Or, "I ran out of gas, replaced the Opti and it still won't start!"

Has to be a hundred threads on checking an Optispark. Check the damned thing, don't just throw parts at it.

Al
Old 07-30-2011, 08:48 AM

So yesterday night, Had to drive 30 minutes and back. Everything fine until i go up the street and park it. It started, and bogged down right away. So i tried to restart and it would start but sort of a knocking sound was present so i cut it off right away.

I go back this morning and it cranks but wont fire, but the knocking it had is gone. I'm going to have it scanned when I come across the money but its sitting until then. Any ideas?
Old 08-04-2011, 10:14 AM

Well, cant get it started to run codes, no fuel getting to the schrader valve. I replaced the relay and it still doesn't hum or apply fuel to the valve. I'm thinking fuel pump?
Old 08-04-2011, 11:34 AM
TECH Resident

either the pump or wiring, check the fuses as well. no fuel at the rails would cause a no start problem for sure.

also don't forget the filter, never know if it's clogged. long shot, but who knows when and if it's been replaced.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:25 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.htm...essure_testing
Old 08-04-2011, 02:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lt1slowz28
also don't forget the filter, never know if it's clogged. long shot, but who knows when and if it's been replaced.
Just pulled the pumps out of mine. One was "strainer-less" and completely plugged up. Bought an Airtex strainer and it's back together and working.

Al 95 Z28 w/ two Walbro pumps
Old 08-04-2011, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've seen this symptom before... No fuel pressure no start intermittently .. The passenger side 12v terminal was bad and not making contact it even showed signs of over heating... Disassemble that terminal near the fuse box against the fire wall inspect and clean or replace ... According to the impala/caprice guys upgrading that terminal is a must do...
http://www.impalassforum.com/vBullet...t=Terminal+mod

Quick Reply: Lt1 Cranks and eventually fires.