LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Another LT1 no start

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another LT1 no start

Ive searched but no clear answer has been found. Its a 95 Trans Am, 6 speed car, stock except for exhaust and intake.

Im dumbfounded on wether its the starter its self, or the VATS messing with me. Back in May the throw out bearing went to hell on me and my dad had to drive the car close to 50 miles with no clutch, starting the car in first gear to get going (we replaced the clutch at the end of this drive, the only reason for the long haul). A few weeks later on random occasions I would notice while starting the car the starter would grind and make noises like it wasnt engaging all the way and just hitting the flywheel.

It didnt do that every start, only on random occasions. Well within the last 3 weeks I would turn the key and get nothing, keep cycling the key and eventually it would start. I also pecked on the starter from beneath the car a few times, not sure if that helped or not.

Well now Im dead in the water, no start what so ever. Doesnt matter how many times I cycle the key or peck on the solenoid, I get nothing. I can hear what sounds like the starter trying to engage, just a faint clicking from underneath the car.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Recheck all connections for grounds and 12v ,Relace the starter....
Old 08-08-2011, 12:22 AM
On The Tree

Will do!
Old 08-27-2011, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

Bringing this back up. Ive had the starter tested and with the old solenoid the starter spun but would not engage, with a brand new solenoid I got nothing. When on the car the gear engages but does not spin. Ive boosted it thinking the batter may not have enough power and still nothing. VATS isnt acting up, and the ignition switch has to be good or the starter never would have engaged to begin with.

Completely stumped here??
Old 08-27-2011, 11:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its ur opti lol
Old 08-27-2011, 11:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SexyTransAm
its ur opti lol
haha
Old 08-28-2011, 07:16 AM
On The Tree

Anybody got any ideas? Im going to work on her again today.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:24 PM
TECH Regular

the car will start and run properly when it does right? your only problem is getting the starter to engage and turn the motor over?

I would have said it was the starter or the connections to the wire.. If you say that isn't your problem, make sure the clutch switch is functioning properly. The switch that allows you to start your car when the clutch is pressed in completely.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:53 PM
On The Tree

The car does run fine, just not starting. The starter has to be good or it would have not spun when tested, and Ive seen it engage when it was hooked up to the car. I started tracing the hot wire down this morning but my battery was dead so I just called it a day. Ill give it another go this week
Old 08-28-2011, 11:10 PM
Teching In

just because the starter engages and works fine on a test machine doesnt always mean its good because it doesnt put the load on the starter like an engine does...
Old 08-29-2011, 05:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gmcondub2s
just because the starter engages and works fine on a test machine doesnt always mean its good because it doesnt put the load on the starter like an engine does...
That is true, Im just trying to get around having to buy a new starter.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:52 PM
Staging Lane

I am having similar issues with my lt1. I replaced the water pump and it wouldn't start so I replaced the opti. I noticed the starter sounded like it was dragging and sometimes it wouldn't even crank. I could put a charge on the battery and it would start again...Now it won't start at all, I am about to go out there and see if I can push start it or tap it a little..
Old 08-29-2011, 07:33 PM
Teching In

Does the security light stay on when you put the key in and try to turn it over?
Old 08-30-2011, 12:03 AM
On The Tree

Bowtie- This is driving me nuts, I couldnt imagine your situation. But from saying you could put a charge on the battery and it would start makes me think you have an alternator problem.

Bravo- Security system is fine, light goes off after the test. I had thought about this before and had planned on doing the VATS bypass but since its fine, no use in messing with it.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

Bringing back up a dead thread. Ive replaced the starter with a new unit and Ive also replaced the battery. I have normal operating condition when turning the key on, lights test and go off....including the security light. When I attempt to start, the starter engages but doesnt spin. Ive loosened the starter thinking it was in a bind with the flywheel, and Ive also turned the motor by hand. Still no start, somebody please help me! This car is driving me nuts and my other vehicle drinks to much gas.

Quick Reply: Another LT1 no start