LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

air condition question

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 05:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question air condition question

my a/c worked great but then my compressor failed and i went ahead and put a new one in. Now it works but the air it blows out isnt as cold as with the other compressor. I have enough freon in the system but i think the guy that put the comp in put a little too much oil in it. could this be a reason why its not as cold as before?
Old 08-19-2011, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Depends on too much. But I would say no on the oil issue. Did you change out the expantion valve and drier when you did the compressor?
Old 08-19-2011, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 96TransAmboosted
Depends on too much. But I would say no on the oil issue. Did you change out the expantion valve and drier when you did the compressor?
^^ x2 on the expansion valve. They tend to get small shavings of metal in them and clog up a bit when compressors go. Restrictions interfere with the flow of refrigerant and keep it from evaporating efficiently. The evaporation of the refrigerant from liquid to gas is what pulls the heat energy from the air that passes over the evaporator coils.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojira94
^^ x2 on the expansion valve. They tend to get small shavings of metal in them and clog up a bit when compressors go. Restrictions interfere with the flow of refrigerant and keep it from evaporating efficiently. The evaporation of the refrigerant from liquid to gas is what pulls the heat energy from the air that passes over the evaporator coils.
Yes and No. Unless his system/compressor took a complete dump then typically Expansion valves can be reused as they are pretty durable/hardy. Orifice tubes are a differnet story and must be changed and a good thing they are very cheap. OP - Did your compressor completely crap out and put debris in the lines when it died as there is may different failures of compressors - case leak (common in fbody compressors), clutch failure of sorts, or internal compressor failure. A good flush of the system is necessary when changing out components and will typcically clean the expansion valve out good enough.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:01 PM
Teching In

well the guy that put it in took the tubes apart and ran that cleaning liquid thru it. the drier i have in the car is different somehow from the ones they sell at autozone and the new one i bought wont fit. but he cleaned the old one with that liquid. and the orifice tube is the old one because we couldnt figure out where the damn thing is at. And my compressor worked great one day and died the next i dont know how or why it died.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Rg591
well the guy that put it in took the tubes apart and ran that cleaning liquid thru it. the drier i have in the car is different somehow from the ones they sell at autozone and the new one i bought wont fit. but he cleaned the old one with that liquid. and the orifice tube is the old one because we couldnt figure out where the damn thing is at. And my compressor worked great one day and died the next i dont know how or why it died.
4th gen HVAC systems don't have an orifice tube.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by shbox
I went crazy looking for one when I was replacing my ac system.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes they do on the LS1 platform.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your using the same dryer as before? That's I big problem. They should have told you when you bought the compressor that the drier needs to be replaced for the compressor to have a warrenty. The drier aborbs moisture in the system.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE00
Yes they do on the LS1 platform.
You are correct. I should have qualified my statement. However, we happen to be in the LT1 forum and speaking of LT1s.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:42 PM
Teching In

so then why did they sell me a orifice tube for it? they told me i HAD to buy it to get the warranty. its only 2 bucks thats not the problem but i just think its weird they would sell me a part that i dont need. And i do have a new drier i bought for the warranty but it wont fit because the hose connections are too close together and the hoses wont hook up to it. Is it not good that he ran the cleaning fluid thru it?
Old 08-20-2011, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

They gave you the wrong part. Same thing happen to me and the part was in the wrong box. I would try and swap it for the correct.one and try that.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

You are correct. I should have qualified my statement. However, we happen to be in the LT1 forum and speaking of LT1s.
HAHA - comeon Shbox you know I've gotta correct you when I can. Don't get the chance that often!!!
Old 08-22-2011, 07:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rg591
so then why did they sell me a orifice tube for it? they told me i HAD to buy it to get the warranty. its only 2 bucks thats not the problem but i just think its weird they would sell me a part that i dont need. And i do have a new drier i bought for the warranty but it wont fit because the hose connections are too close together and the hoses wont hook up to it. Is it not good that he ran the cleaning fluid thru it?
Because they don't know what they are talking about. The easiest way to tell if you have a Expansion Valve (TEV) is look for this (large square silver thing with two tubes coming out of it going into the heater box/evap core):
Thx ShoeBox:

Also, no on the cleaning fluid in the dryer as you have decident in there to absorb moisture and if he ran cleaning fluid thru it then it's done. You'll need a new one. What kind of shop did you go to as it sounds like these guys don't know their hand from their ***!!!!
Old 08-22-2011, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Im not sure he had a shop do all of the work, he mentioned that he got the wrong drier from the store. That being said it sounds like your drier is shot and preventing the AC to get as cold as it should.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:53 AM
Teching In

The guy that put it in is just my dad's friend who did it all for cheap. What i did is i bought all the parts at oreillys and he put them in. its kind of hard to explain over the internet how the drier is different but ill try. at the top of the little can thing there are the two connections where you hook up two metal tubes. the one i bought (they sell the same one at oreillys and autozone) has one little space between the two connections on the can and the one that is in my car has 2 little spaces. They only have that drier at both stores, they dont have the one i need. and its not likr i can bend the hoses to hook up to them because they are metal
Attached Thumbnails air condition question-drier.jpg  
Old 08-23-2011, 05:22 AM
Teching In

alright i found pic of the drier that i need so you guys know what im talking about. its from a website called autopartswarehouse.com they have 5 for sale there and 4 of them look like the one i bought and only 1 looks like the one that i need. anyways, if i buy this and refill the system it should be colder? that drier is old as hell and you guys say the cleaning liquid killed it?
Attached Thumbnails air condition question-drier-i-have.jpg  
Old 08-23-2011, 05:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

This is actually pretty common for the 95' guys from what I've seen (affected me as well). Late in the model year run for the 95' cars they changed the A/C design a moved the lines a bit and added a different dryer/accumulator that had further offset inlet/outlet from what you see. What you need is the accumulator/dryer from a 96' as it is identical to ours. If you look up the parts online for all major ap stores you will see what I mean about 95 and 96 being different. That being said that dope of a friend should have said something before he started bending things to get it to fit - the old addage says if it doesn't fit it's probably the wrong part!!!!! I found this out myself as well when I redid the A/C on my 95' TA a few months back, but instead of bending things I searched the internet and found this little gem. Now, that being said, go get the right accumulator (96') and check your lines as he probably screwed them up and they may be leaking. If so you need some new lines and they can be had very easily from here or ebay on a part out car. Good luck.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have tons of extra lines if you end up needed any. As for the drier they can deer the correct one for you.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:12 AM
Teching In

this would have helped alot before i put all that freon in and now i have to start all over again. it never occured to me to look for other years other than 95 thats why no one could figure out why my part was different. And he didnt bend them, he just "Flushed" the old one and put it back in. Now im going to buy the new drier and put it in. too bad im stuck with the other new drier i cant take it back cuz its already been over a week and since i just wanted the warranty, the guys at the store think i made the drier i bought work. Well anyways thanks guys i dont have to put up with a crappy ac anymore.

Quick Reply: air condition question