LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

24X problem?

Old 08-28-2011, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 24X problem?

I finished my 24x on friday. I started the car a few times and noticed the engine runs a lot smoother; I really thought everything was good. But today when I decided to take it for a short drive I noticed a problem. I think it is either do to it is only running on a base tune not dyno tune, trans problem or my wiring. If I put the car into drive and let it go through the gears by it self it will do so just fine until it hits 4th, then it feels as if I lost power and the motor sounds like it's pinging if I give it more throttle. If I put the shifter to 1st I noticed the car skips and goes skips and goes; almost as if the trans is slipping. I sure hope my trans is not hurt; it was working just fine before the 24x ignition so I am almost sure it can not be the trans. Mods I have on the trans is the gasketes were all changed along with any worn parts, I installed a edge 3200 stall, deep trans pan and trans cooler. The only codes I am getting are for the evap system; P0452 and P0449. I need to figuer out what is going on before I take it to CMS for a dyno tune in 12 days.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:40 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by henry172
I finished my 24x on friday. I started the car a few times and noticed the engine runs a lot smoother; I really thought everything was good. But today when I decided to take it for a short drive I noticed a problem. I think it is either do to it is only running on a base tune not dyno tune, trans problem or my wiring. If I put the car into drive and let it go through the gears by it self it will do so just fine until it hits 4th, then it feels as if I lost power and the motor sounds like it's pinging if I give it more throttle. If I put the shifter to 1st I noticed the car skips and goes skips and goes; almost as if the trans is slipping. I sure hope my trans is not hurt; it was working just fine before the 24x ignition so I am almost sure it can not be the trans. Mods I have on the trans is the gasketes were all changed along with any worn parts, I installed a edge 3200 stall, deep trans pan and trans cooler. The only codes I am getting are for the evap system; P0452 and P0449. I need to figuer out what is going on before I take it to CMS for a dyno tune in 12 days.
I think you're going to find that it's a tuning issue only. I cannot be related to your installation of crank/cam sensors because you would unmistakenly experience ignition issues in every gear and at every RPM.

You will have to work with the transmission tables in the calibration and see how the car responds. I recall that a higher stall converter will require you to raise the (4th gear) lockup speeds. I recall having to do this with a friend's (LS1) car last year because the symptom was a grinding sort of noise when in 4th gear.

We simply logged data with EFILive while driving and changed the tables until the transmission responded well. You will need to do the same.

But if you want to sleep well at night, it would be worth doing a continuity check between the PCM and transmission. As long as the wiring is good, you are using a 1996-up transmission, and the transmission was flawless before 24x conversion, then I think your tuner will handle the rest.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^ O.K thanks a lot now I am not so worried about it now; I think I repined the pcm correctly, if I did not shouldn't the PCM throw a code?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 24X problem?