LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

6 sp flywheel questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 06:06 AM
Village Troll

Received 533 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by gregrob
Not unless the builder would have changed it to completely internally balanced.

Here is where people get confused, a STOCK LT1

Internally balanced in the front.

Externally balanced in the back.

True story
This one is externally balanced and is not a STOCK LT1.
Originally Posted by 93Z2871805
The rotating assembly was balanced as one unit. The shop that balanced it needed to add mallory at the front counterweight of the crank, and offset it at the balancer (it was drilled to remove weight). The flexplate had to be weighted because where the shop needed to add weight at the rear of the crank, it would have been too far forward at the rear counterweight, so it was added to the flexplate. The original flexplate setup iirc (I don't have the invoice for it in front of me) is an internally balanced (399174) unit (the part number should be on the flexplate next to or on the SFI certification sticker). It's $75 for me to have a flywheel or flexplate matched for the balance. Just bring the shop the one that's on the motor right now and the new flywheel.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:45 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gregrob
Not unless the builder would have changed it to completely internally balanced.

Here is where people get confused, a STOCK LT1

Internally balanced in the front.

Externally balanced in the back.

True story
right but building a 383 your changin everything obviously...........so it would be very dumb to externally balance the motor......
Old 09-20-2011, 09:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So anyway, now I got somebody to balance my flywheel, back to my other question. Is there any performance advantage to running a lightweight aluminum (13lb) to a stock flywheel (20lb)? I know it will rev faster, and obviously lose some weight which is always good. Not sure if it's a waste of $$ though if all it does is change the way I drive the car. There is also chromoly flywheels that weigh about the same as stock...does anybody see any issues running a stock flywheel at this hp level (420whp)? Clutch is a RAM HD with less than 2000 miles on it.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts

if you autox the car than a lightweight FW will be a advantage under those conditions. Street and drag racing no.

SFI chromoly FW are good but with that said the stock FW (nodular iron) will work. If you are doing 6k clutch dumps with a tire I would get the SFI chromoly one.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:36 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the clarification...I'll probably just stick with stock then because all these little odds and ends on this 383 build are adding up quickly; injectors, new msd opti, electric WP, tune, ect...I certainly won't be doing any 6K clutch drops with my 10 bolt out back Maybe in due time I'll upgrade it when I have a rear end to handle the power.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
right but building a 383 your changin everything obviously...........so it would be very dumb to externally balance the motor......
Sometimes the weight needs to be moved to the balancer and/or flexplate to balance it correctly.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 93Z2871805
The rotating assembly was balanced as one unit. The shop that balanced it needed to add mallory at the front counterweight of the crank, and offset it at the balancer (it was drilled to remove weight). The flexplate had to be weighted because where the shop needed to add weight at the rear of the crank, it would have been too far forward at the rear counterweight, so it was added to the flexplate. The original flexplate setup iirc (I don't have the invoice for it in front of me) is an internally balanced (399174) unit (the part number should be on the flexplate next to or on the SFI certification sticker). It's $75 for me to have a flywheel or flexplate matched for the balance. Just bring the shop the one that's on the motor right now and the new flywheel.
I'm bringing this thread back from the grave due to the unfortunate untimely complete failure of my Professional Products balancer; now that it's bit the dust and I'm attempting to get the stock balancer back on and I remembered the guy who built my shortblock mentioned something about removing weight from the balancer....so now wouldn't the stock balancer NOT be matched to the new 383 crank balance since it was externally balanced Or can I take both the POS Professional products crank hub and balancer off and go back to stock

Quick Reply: 6 sp flywheel questions