LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Built 4l60e wont shift to second at the track

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 03:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Built 4l60e wont shift to second at the track

Finally got my car to the track today for the first time. Set tire pressures at 13psi and rear shocks at a 4setting. Car hooked hard and pulled a 1.75 60ft time but failed to shift to second. It just bounced off the rev limiter a few times until I lifted and then it went to second. By that time my run was wasted and it only did a 14.03. No check engine light came on and shifted fine after that. I did find out on the way there that my speedo is off by 5mph, its slow.

I have had it at a local 100ft drag event at small circle track and launched the car the same way but it never hooked as hard. It also never had a shifting issue like that either. Nor on the street doing launches.

Is this the stall wall issue Iv heard mentioned of before?

Unfortunatly the track is 1 1/2hrs away and cannot just go to check the launch again. I need to fix this in the next 3 weeks so I can make it to a track day.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Need more info on the car. What stall gears and how old is he tranny. Is the car tuned?
Old 09-04-2011, 03:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of two things man same thing happened to me with mine but on 3rd gear.......you might have to rebuild it or get another tranny when you drive 1 goes fine and 2nd just revs up and you go no fast kinda like the car is in [N] correct?
Old 09-04-2011, 04:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd call performabuilt and ask them Tuesday. They will be able to tell you what to look at. In the mean time just check electrical connections and make sure the speed is reading the correct speed other wise it may be a bad speed sensor.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

How can you guys give him suggestions without any info on the car? Its all just a guess that could lead him down the incorrect path and waste his time and money. For all we know he could have done gears and not have had it tuned for them and its bouncing off the limited because of the PCM. Or the tranny itself can have issues internally. As I said more info is needed to guide him in the correct direction.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:04 AM
On The Tree

All of my mods are listed in the sig. Performabuilt stage 2 trans, 3000 stall performabuilt converter, 4.11 gears, PCMFORLESS tune. Trans has only 500 miles on it.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 96TransAmboosted
How can you guys give him suggestions without any info on the car? Its all just a guess that could lead him down the incorrect path and waste his time and money. For all we know he could have done gears and not have had it tuned for them and its bouncing off the limited because of the PCM. Or the tranny itself can have issues internally. As I said more info is needed to guide him in the correct direction.

If the pcm is not reprogrammed for gears then there is no problem. The pcm gets it's info at the tailshaft before the gears would have a chance to affect any pcm inputs.

IMO you used a poor tuner and a poor tranny builder, good luck figuring this out.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:41 AM
Launching!

I would say the tune needs to be sorted out for the gears. Sometimes a mail-order tune won't get the shifting perfect when the gears have been changed. Run a datalog to see what rpm and mph the car hits the limiter at. This is something that would be easier to change yourself if you buy the equipment to tune, than to keep sending back to the tuner.

Stall Wall is a little different. Both cars that I have been in would only do it when when launched hard. They would pull good and would not shift into second until you let off. Then the trans would be in limp-in (it would take off in second) and would not downshift back to first unless the ignition was shut off and restarted.

Last edited by muddyjimmy; 09-05-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:59 AM
On The Tree

the tune was done after all the parts were installed. if this was a VSS issue why would this not have happened earlier?
Old 09-05-2011, 11:08 AM
Launching!

So it shifts fine at WOT as long as you don't hook hard from a launch? Does the trans go into limp-in?
Old 09-05-2011, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Your correct the pcm does read off the tail shaft but if the tune is not correct then the pcm will be reading incorrect vechicle speeds and will not shift correctly resulting in the car bouncing off the limited a few times then shifting. I have seen this many times with these cars. PCM for less tunes are only to get you to a dyno so everything can be fine tu.ed. bottom line. If its not the tune then its internal tranny. Good luck
Old 09-05-2011, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

That is correct muddy it has only happened when launched hard at the track. It has never happened on the street and has seen many WOT blasts through 3rd gear. If limp mode is not letting it shift back to first then, yes i was in limp mode. I thought if it was in limp mode the check engine light came on.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:48 PM
Launching!

That is stall wall. If you have the stuff to tune then you can do it yourself, or send it back to PCM4Less and they can fix it for you for a fee.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If it is stall wall that is just proof that he should have chosen a better tuner in the first place. I used pcmforless back when I was a newb, I had a LOT of issues with them and learned my lesson and went elsewhere.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:58 PM
Launching!

I had the same issue with one of their tunes. I did tell them that I had an aftermarket stall and gear change before the tune. First time at the track my car ran into stall wall. I emailed Brian and he said he could fix it. I paid $65 for an "updated" for the same parts I had told them, but the issue was resolved. I managed to fix my buddies LT1 Monte Carlo at the Shootout this weekend with the same problem.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

PCMFORLESS said it doesn't sound like stall wall and i dont have a big enough converter to cause it, but if send it back to them they will check out the tune. Was told it sounds more like an internal trans issue.

Sounds exactly like what happens for stall wall to me.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:30 PM
Launching!

The way "Stall Wall" was explained to me, which could be wrong, is during a hard launch the output shaft flexes away from the vss. When that happens it looses the signal and the trans goes into limp in. That being said, I think that it has more relation to 60' time than the size of the stall. The harder is hooks the more flex. Mine started doing it when I dropped to a 1.7x 60' time. Who did you talk to at PCM4Less? Bryan is the one that explained the stall wall to me and told me they could fix it.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:55 PM
On The Tree

That sounds exactly like my issue. I have been dealing with Keith because thats the number the website sends me to.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Whether it is stall wall or not, tell PCMforless to correct for that situation, anyway. From what I have read in the past, that is what it sounds like to me.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bad tune as always from them. Well just send it back and be down a few.more.days. Or hit up Solomon and he can fix it same day if you have a lap top and a cable. Www.lt1pcmtuning.com always a great job till the dyno tune.

Quick Reply: Built 4l60e wont shift to second at the track