LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

no power

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 08:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question no power

so i got a 95 z28 t56 built motor with all the goodies but all stock computer. i check the battery 12v's its a red top. so then i connect it put the multimeter meter on it and nothing but then check the grounds its grounded but no power to anything in the car so is the battery bad? is it shorting out or is there something thats pulling all the power ? i checked every fuse and breaker im very confused and my friend whos training to be a master tech and really good with cars came and looked at it and he has no idea so maybe you guys mite know something we dont
thanks for your time
rob
Old 09-07-2011, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

ignition fuse, ignition switch, check your voltage at the computer with the key on, check the power in the harness leading into the car with the key on ect. Check shbox.com for wire diagrams. By no means am i a electrical expert, i was ase certified in it but that doesnt mean ****. Its going to be trial and error brother.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:22 PM
Teching In

thanks man that's what ive been doing hope i get her running soon this is my first build so everything has been trial and error im use to it
Old 09-08-2011, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RobMidd
so i got a 95 z28 t56 built motor with all the goodies but all stock computer. i check the battery 12v's its a red top. so then i connect it put the multimeter meter on it and nothing but then check the grounds its grounded but no power to anything in the car so is the battery bad? is it shorting out or is there something thats pulling all the power ? i checked every fuse and breaker im very confused and my friend whos training to be a master tech and really good with cars came and looked at it and he has no idea so maybe you guys mite know something we dont
thanks for your time
rob
He is going to have a hard time making money if he looks at you and says i have no idea.

I agree with dragging, K>I>S>S start with where you do and dont have power, when you turn the key does the PURPLE wire on the starter energize with power?
IF NOT
go under the dash drop the colume and probe the Ignition switch, does it have power and is it switching power? unplug it does the connector or switch look burnt or melted at all?

Get back with some results and we can go from there.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RobMidd
so i got a 95 z28 t56 built motor with all the goodies but all stock computer. i check the battery 12v's its a red top. so then i connect it put the multimeter meter on it and nothing but then check the grounds its grounded but no power to anything in the car so is the battery bad?
rob
I'm lost. Does it have power at the battery or not? You can check the voltage at the terminal block just behind the battery. Use a test lamp if you have one. Lots easier.

http://shbox.com/1/starter_charging_95.jpg

You can pill the plug on the ICM and check for power there with the key on IF you have power to the terminal block.

Al 95 Z28
Old 09-08-2011, 10:35 PM
Teching In

ill take it apart tomorrow and let you guys know and yeah the battery has power but when i connect it it doesn't if that makes any sense at all i just know that i can still check grounds but idk whats going on i just need to rip it apart and check everything something must be blown
Old 09-08-2011, 11:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Has the battery been tested? It can show 12v with a meter and not have any reserve capacity to run anything.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:10 PM
Teching In

i didn't know that could happen to the battery ill bring it to auto zone tomorrow
that sounds like that could be the issue
Old 09-12-2011, 08:14 PM
Teching In

shbox you were right the battery was the problem the guy at auto zone said that normal battery chargers cant charge optima red tops. so they charged it up for me, now i got power. time to put her back together !
Old 09-12-2011, 10:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Cool.