LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

TCC 2nd gear lockup

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 12:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TCC 2nd gear lockup

Talking about low TPS acceleration. Is this a bad idea? Everybody says lockup will put wear on the clutch, but you'd think wot locking would be much worse, but they do that. So....
Old 09-11-2011, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LSWHO
Talking about low TPS acceleration. Is this a bad idea? Everybody says lockup will put wear on the clutch, but you'd think wot locking would be much worse, but they do that. So....
So ? Mine is set to lockup @ 5,000 rpm in second gear. It's been that way for 6 years and I have many many 1/4 runs, hole shots etc. I would like to try it unlocked for a comparison though.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by lt1-xjs
So ?
So ? ?

Is this a bad idea?
Old 09-11-2011, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't think that its a good idea because when engaging the clutch in 2nd even under light throttle acc. the trans will shift into 3rd not too much mph later, and its best to disengage the lock-up when shifting into different gears. the less times that you lock the clutch up the longer it will last.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I allways just wait til third, I know its MPH and throttle position based, but if youre running a stal you'll want youre stall to work under WOT.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by nitrous2fast
I don't think that its a good idea because when engaging the clutch in 2nd even under light throttle acc. the trans will shift into 3rd not too much mph later, and its best to disengage the lock-up when shifting into different gears. the less times that you lock the clutch up the longer it will last.
This is my whole reason for asking. Has anybody actually done it that has seen the possible harm done? I know on paper this is what's generally accepted, but in real life, and like I said if it locks at WOT and it locks every time you accelerate anyway, what's another low TPS lock going to REALLY do?

Originally Posted by WS Sick
I allways just wait til third, I know its MPH and throttle position based, but if youre running a stal you'll want youre stall to work under WOT.
It won't lock up at WOT until 3rd. The stall can do it's job.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LSWHO, I think the answer depends on what kind of TC you're running.
I've been running higher stall converters in my pickup for about 250,000 miles now - 98 L31 with 4L60E - and either having the PCM lock the TCC in 2nd at light throttle as you describe, or locking it with a manual switch. About 190,000 miles on a Vigilante 3000 doing this and the TCC lockup never faded a bit. Now with a Yank 3600 in it for about 60,000, plus many WOT lockups on the Yank when it was in my Impala, and that clutch also works good as new. I was actually more concerned with 3-4 clutchpack wear in the tranny, but the original (with Transgo) tranny in that pickup gave me 280,000 miles of hard use, towing, and nitrous runs before it began exhibiting the WOT2-3 shift rpm flare, which a new 3-4 clutchpack promptly cured.
But, like I said above, I think it depends on the converter brand. I wouldn't try it with a 9.5" Street Edge.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

You can lock up a triple disk when ever you want to. A single on the other hand will wear faster. Chris at circle d can help you decide when you should lock up and when you should not. Shoot him a PM and he will be glad to help you in you choice.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:09 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bowtienut
LSWHO, I think the answer depends on what kind of TC you're running.
I've been running higher stall converters in my pickup for about 250,000 miles now - 98 L31 with 4L60E - and either having the PCM lock the TCC in 2nd at light throttle as you describe, or locking it with a manual switch. About 190,000 miles on a Vigilante 3000 doing this and the TCC lockup never faded a bit. Now with a Yank 3600 in it for about 60,000, plus many WOT lockups on the Yank when it was in my Impala, and that clutch also works good as new. I was actually more concerned with 3-4 clutchpack wear in the tranny, but the original (with Transgo) tranny in that pickup gave me 280,000 miles of hard use, towing, and nitrous runs before it began exhibiting the WOT2-3 shift rpm flare, which a new 3-4 clutchpack promptly cured.
But, like I said above, I think it depends on the converter brand. I wouldn't try it with a 9.5" Street Edge.
Thanks for the info. I have a performabuilt 3200. No idea how good or bad the converter is. It works fine, but I have no comparison and their info wasn't that great when I ordered it. I just needed a new tranny and converter fast.

Originally Posted by DVS LT1
Did you tune it that way to lock up in 2nd?

Mine won't luck up until 3rd. And it also locks up under WOT which I originally thought wasn't supposed to happen, but everyone says that's normal. It locks up at about 5600-5700 RPM in 3rd under WOT.

I would also like to see the difference (at the track) between a lock up vs non lock converter. Someone suggested installing a switch to be able to toggle back and forth.
The stock tune locks up 3rd at wot.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:25 PM
TECH Regular

if ya have a good converter there isnt any benefit to locking it at all . i know with mine i saw a .01 diff in it under exact situations at the track . ask any good converter builder and he will tell ya the same in fact i dont belive any good converters come with a multi disk anymore unless its custom built . i called all of them lookin for a tripple and asked about lockin the conv and alll said the same , they dont offer em as there so efficient now ya dont see much diff
Old 09-12-2011, 04:27 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the info. I have a performabuilt 3200. No idea how good or bad the converter is. It works fine, but I have no comparison and their info wasn't that great when I ordered it. I just needed a new tranny and converter fast.

The stock tune locks up 3rd at wot.
performabuilt uses edge converters i belive . i have one in mine and used to lock it all the time on no2 -dyno etc and still holding strong
Old 09-12-2011, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bullshit circle d offers a triple disk

http://www.circledspecialties.com/c-...ulti-disk.aspx
Old 09-12-2011, 04:43 PM
TECH Regular

the one i didnt call does , so i missed one my bad lol . who cares either way . lockin a conv isnt gonna gain ya a full second or make ya trap 160 m.p.h lol . most newer good converters are efficient enough that there is no need to lock em . unless its a full out track car and every tenth matters
Old 09-12-2011, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 93v8clone
if ya have a good converter there isnt any benefit to locking it at all . i know with mine i saw a .01 diff in it under exact situations at the track . ask any good converter builder and he will tell ya the same in fact i dont belive any good converters come with a multi disk anymore unless its custom built . i called all of them lookin for a tripple and asked about lockin the conv and alll said the same , they dont offer em as there so efficient now ya dont see much diff
Yes, we all know you don't improve much ET locking at WOT, but.........that's not what the OP asked ......... "T a l k i n g a b o u t l o w T P S a c c e l e r a t i o n"

Yes, clutch materials have improved to where there's less need for triple disck lockup converters. They don't come without compromises either. The few setups I've seen running them were not very impressive at the track.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:35 PM
TECH Addict

I guess I'll just have to try it out and be the guinea pig. Maybe I'll wait til I reflash it to 4k.

Quick Reply: TCC 2nd gear lockup