LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Planning a turbo 383 build

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Hit it right on the head.
I know money's not an option, so DON'T SKIMP ON ANYTHING.

This is a HUGE undertaking. Not for the squeamish or the newbs. I know you mentioned you're not very well versed in this stuff, so if you want to do this yourself, be prepared to take a LONG time, and be sure to have someone with you that really knows their stuff. One little screwup can have you starting all over again.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rear end, alot of these guys recommend dana s60
suspension wise these guys on here say not to get sphoon parts, go umi
If your auto tranny get a tq conv ( tq converter wise there are 3 main brands these guys recommend)and built trans
Then are you going to build it yourself or send the engine off to get built then put it in yourself?
get a 24x coil setup so no more opti

I guess you know about the mods on the srt
Old 09-14-2011, 05:23 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rear End i went with a Dana S60
Suspension i used mostly UMI though a couple items are Spohn
Trans i am going to be sending off to get upgraded
Doing a 24x conversion
Using Callies for the crank and rods and Diamond for the Pistons
Used AI for my heads and cam

It all adds up eventually when you look at the total cost but if cost is really not a problem then go with the best out there
Old 09-16-2011, 11:55 PM
Teching In

i have all the time to get this done, it just the speed i can the money to get the parts. im not skimping on anything in this car. id like for it to be as reliable as possible when being beaten on. id like to be able to do as much of the building as possible. i need to still find a good/reputable machine shop near toledo to have it bored out. but as far as bulding it id like to do it myself. what are a good set of rods and piston to put in and also what crank?
Old 09-17-2011, 06:15 AM
Launching!

Callies Compstar stuff is good. Magnum if you plan on 1000+

I'd run that ^, have some billet main caps (splayed) put on, ARP EVERYTHING, nice oil pan (I got a Moroso 7qt), some good rings gapped at .024 and .027, a nice custom LE cam and LE3s or trickflows, ported intake (stock is fine), 58mm TB, hotparts from LT1Boost, a PT88 turbo, nice meth setup, twin walbros, and a good trans. That'll put ya close to what my build was with the exception of a few things.

I run JE pistons, -31cc dish. That, 62cc chambers (IIRC) in my Trickflows, and a FelPro 1074 makes for 8.5:1 cr.

Oh and the 24x setup is awesome, so much easier to tune. Can do real time tuning, everyone and their brother knows HP Tuners, no more opti, can go 3bar SD easily, and its all bolt on/plug and play.

If you go S60 don't get the True Trac, its a POS and I plan on breaking mine soon and putting a locker in it.

A T56 is a blast, but they don't like anything over 900 ft-lbs when built to the max (I have $4500 in my built T56 alone, RPM Transmissions was awesome to deal with, good people there), and get a McLeod Twin. If you go auto, get a 4L80e from Jake. Speed Inc can make you a good driveshaft for a good price.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by green95vert; 09-17-2011 at 06:27 AM.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

turbo 383 here.....

Just my hot and cold side cost over 10 grand....
then it nickled and dimed me to death..... actually, it still is.

Quick Reply: Planning a turbo 383 build