LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

24x hell

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 08:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wyocattech
Is the firing order for the coils and injectors been changed to the lt1 firing order seems the ls firing order is diff. Just making sure i had a friend with similar issues after his swap.
I have not done one of these but I know the firing order can be changed in the LS1 PCM. It should be changed to the LT1 firing order. Also do the basics, pull the plugs and see what they look like. A wide band will tell you a lot about what is going. I like my Inovate LM-1 becasue the hand held real time read out.

As far as having to crank it after it is hot points to being to rich, dumping too much fuel at crank. The older ODB1 ecms have a crank fuel table that allow you to change how much fuel is being dumped at start up vs. coolant temp. Next time its hot and you have to crank the snot out of the car to start it, put the gas pedal to floor. This will put the PCM in clear flood mode and stop the injectors from firing. If it starts then you know it is dumping too much fuel.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone know where I can find the firing order in EFI Live? I did use a 411 PCM for this as recommended by EFI Connections.

EFI Connections website says they are doing inventory and site updates, Mike did input above though, so I did set the fuel as one value as he told me to. I guess I'll set it even lower though as 3.78 seems too high, even though that is what that spreadsheet I posted a link to above calculates it out to.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:05 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by camar0corey
Does anyone know where I can find the firing order in EFI Live? I did use a 411 PCM for this as recommended by EFI Connections.

EFI Connections website says they are doing inventory and site updates, Mike did input above though, so I did set the fuel as one value as he told me to. I guess I'll set it even lower though as 3.78 seems too high, even though that is what that spreadsheet I posted a link to above calculates it out to.
If you bought a brand new harness the firing order is already swapped and does not need to be done in the pcm. They swap 2 & 3 and 7 & 4 for the injectors and coil on the harness.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

what kind of readings did you get on your wideband? that site you posted sucks, have to wait to download files. you'd get more feedback if you put the summary in the thread of what you logged with the wideband than attaching the files.

Also what file did you start with? did you use a file from the eficonnection site that he shares?
Old 09-16-2011, 10:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Sc0tt30
If you bought a brand new harness the firing order is already swapped and does not need to be done in the pcm. They swap 2 & 3 and 7 & 4 for the injectors and coil on the harness.
I know that, but what if something in the tune itself got changed then?

I started with the file that comes loaded in a 411 PCM. Then I had mailed this file off to EFI Alchemy last November. I installed the 24x system, car barely ran but I limped it up to Jacksonville. Got it tuned, it ran OK, but was plauged with issues from the start, like we couldn't get the TPS to zero out. It ran like garbage when cold.

Then when I drove it PA this summer is when it started running like garbage all the time. Troubleshot it when I got back to FL, figured that some of the old injectors were leaky, as the car never missed a beat with three of them unplugged. Get new injectors car still runs like ****, tuner sends me a file supposed to be set for the 30 lb. injectors. Car runs worse.

So now here we are, I have EFI Live sitting in front of me and capable of making changes, but what in the world do I change things to?

Anybody have the 24x, a cam close to the cc503, and can read their tune file? I'm curious what theirs looks like compared to mine.

Well if megaupload sucks please recommend somewhere else I can upload my logs to.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:37 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The firing order cannot be changed in the PCM calibration. I'd like to see someone post a picture of the firing order table that changes the firing order of both injectors and coils.

I'm not too prideful to admit to being wrong...so let's see this table, please.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 164 Likes on 125 Posts

HP Tuners or EFI Live?
Old 09-16-2011, 12:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by the_merv
HP Tuners or EFI Live?
Either

Consider that GM has used the 12200411 "LS1" PCM for both Gen 1 SBC and Gen 3 LS engines. GM also used the E67 ECM for both Gen 1 SBC and Gen IV LS engines. In both cases, they swapped the firing order in the wire harness at the PCM/ECM and changed the injector to bank assignments in the calibration for closed loop fueling. If the firing order can be changed in the PCM/ECM calibration, why would GM not have done so?
Old 09-16-2011, 12:14 PM
11 Second Club

Here it is in HP Tuners..

I just set that up with a SBC Firing Order..it's the Tune from my MCSS.

You dont have to mess with anything on the Coils or Injectors..that table right there you are telling the PCM what to fire and when to fire it. Simple as that.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

You dont have to mess with anything on the Coils or Injectors..that table right there you are telling the PCM what to fire and when to fire it. Simple as that.
lol
Old 09-16-2011, 12:21 PM
11 Second Club

Now if there is more to it and I'm wrong feel free to tell me..but that is what I thought it always did.

I have the HPT 2.23 Beta Edition if that makes a difference.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:29 PM
TECH Regular

But that is in the "Engine Diagnostics" section. I don't believe that will actually change the firing order of injectors and coils. If it did change the firing order of injectors and coils, then why would there be a need for the injector bank assignment table? It seems more likely that (being in the engine diagnostics section) the firing order table is related to reporting the correct DTC for a misfire if the harness has been pinned differently for injectors and coils.

Last edited by S10Wildside; 09-16-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:41 PM
11 Second Club

If it is for that than it is..I havent found the Injector Bank Assignment Table yet..
Old 09-16-2011, 01:06 PM
TECH Regular

This is the injector bank assignment table.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Force it in open loop with zeroed fuel trims and get it as close as possible to stoich on cruising and your desired A:F at WOT tuning with the wideband only. Then you can re-enable closed loop and see if it starts doing bizzaro fuel trims again. If it does, you need to go thru the injector bank assignments manually by figuring out what injector pin is connected to what terminal on the ecu and assign them to trim off of the correct bank o2 sensor. Once that is all squared away, you can focus on setting spark advance correctly for max power (that spark map you posted scares me).

The hard hot restarts look like what my car does if I don't wait for the fuel pump to prime (I have a bad check valve on my fuel pump). Whatever the actual cause, it is a lack of fuel getting in there, either from the mechanical system or the tune or even a bad sensor or connection. Go step by step and rule things out. Easiest thing would probably be adding some cranking fuel at hotter coolant temps and see what happens.

Oh yeah, as far as the injector flow rate and battery offset go, the flow rate MUST be a constant number with a vacuum referenced regulator or the car will be totally untuneable no matter what else you change. Finding the correct value would be nice but, in the absence of that, setting it to 1 across the board will at least make it possible to tune. Messing with this value at all will have a massive effect on the fuel side of the tune. The battery offset isn't as critical. You can leave it where it was as long as it is a reasonably shaped curve. You can fine tune it after you are done with all other fuel tuning by adding electrical loads with the engine idling and monitoring A:F changes. The table is there to keep the A:F constant no matter the voltage level. Of course, you have to do this in open loop also or you are just chasing the o2 sensors around.

Last edited by 05HD; 09-16-2011 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 09-16-2011, 06:51 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

FWIW, yes the Ford injectors are rated at a different PSI than GM. Because of that your flow rates will be off. They're rated at 39.15 psi as opposed to the 43 that GM does. You're actually running closer to 32lb/hr injectors IIRC from my tuning days....
Old 09-16-2011, 08:38 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by S10Wildside
This is the injector bank assignment table.
You have EFI Live...I have HP Tuners..
Old 09-16-2011, 11:11 PM
TECH Resident

Ok, that's the same thing I was thinking....guess not.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:52 AM
TECH Regular

I keep hearing that HP Tuners has the injector bank assignments table in a beta release. I've also heard that LS1Edit has it (but you may have to request the update). And I know that TunerCat OBDII has it (again, you may need to request the latest update). EFILive has always had it.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:35 AM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I keep hearing that HP Tuners has the injector bank assignments table in a beta release.
Yes it does.

Quick Reply: 24x hell