LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

ideas on 383 build

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 08:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Again with comparing OLD stuff to current stuff. Companies are always making stuff cheaper.

Scat has a better track record on cast stuff than Eagle but it is a couple hundred more to do forged vs. risk losing everything to cast.
I would never use a cast crank beside the factory one period.

I also laugh when people say stay away from Eagle. Their forged cranks are in more race cars than ANY other crank. Some MIGHT require some add work but same deal with most companies. Hell EVERY crank should be checked b4 you put the motor together.
Thats cool. Oh aren't cast cranks rated around 500 chp? Enjoy....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uriwG5625iU

The stock crank is not stronger than the Scat. You don’t hear about the stock crank breaking because the engine was put together "right" by GM, who builds a lot of motors. There are too many variables that are unknown about an engine that someone broke a cast crank in, no matter what brand it is. Especially reading about it over the internet. How was the balance done, internal, external, pistons, rods, flywheel, and dampener....the list goes on. The 383 I just built is using the stock flywheel, stock dampener, and was balanced internal on the front external on the rear, just like stock, with the dampener and flywheel bolted to the crank while on the balancer. The whole assembly was balanced to within a 1/2 a gram. This motor would spin 7000 RPM if I wanted it too, without breaking...
Old 09-22-2011, 09:02 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea I'd prolly pass on that kit. To cheap

Quick Reply: ideas on 383 build