LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Clutch dragging?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 08:38 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Don't say that until it's fixed.
Hopefully whatever vibration issue you have is obvious once the trans is pulled. Good luck.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:20 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely interested to see if you figure out what is causing the vibration. My car does the same thing you describe where if you just barely rest your foot on the pedal you can feel vibration. Its been that way for 4 years now though. I installed the clutch when I was 17 and didn't really know any better, plus both then and now it drives fine. I pulled the tranny in the last little bit with the bolts just like you did also. One of those things where even though it didn't seem right, it seemed to be working so I never did tear the trans back out like I probably should have.

Last edited by nighthawk15; 09-29-2011 at 07:26 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will definitely post a reply with my results. I'll get pictures of the input shaft, TOB, and pilot bearing as well. I'm going to re-torque everything and use a feeler gauge when tightening the pressure plate, to make sure it's even (as suggested). I plan on doing it the 7th or 8th of October.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:26 AM
On The Tree

Clutch dragging?-ojr6n.jpg

Clutch dragging?-opfbp.jpg

I forgot I saved my old clutch parts! Here's pictures of my destroyed (pilot bearing?). I didn't even think to check to see if my input shaft tip was ruined. When I pull the transmission back out, what should I check for? (Pictures of a good and bad input shaft tip by any chance?) What are the chances of my input shaft tip being destroyed by looking at the bearing (that is all I pulled, there weren't any needle bearings or anything else behind it, just a few metal shavings).
Old 10-02-2011, 10:54 AM
Village Troll

That's a bushing and holy santa clause ****... How did you get the bushing out? I take it most of that damage was not from extracting it from the pilot hole? It looks reamed the **** out.
Your input shaft is hardened steel I believe therefore I highly doubt bronze will hurt it. You may see some markings, but don't think there will be an issue. If the trans is still out, post pics of the input shaft.
My guess is it was hammered in and distorted, then when drawing the trans into the pilot bushing it made it worse...
How did you install the bushing initially?
Old 10-02-2011, 11:09 AM
On The Tree

I used a blind hole puller to remove it from the pilot hole. I rented it from AutoZone. It slipped out a few times, but it only caused the damage to the face in the 2nd picture. I had nothing to do with the installation of the bushing/bearing I just posted pictures of. That's the one that came in the car when I bought it (and the previous owner said nothing has been touched, had stock clutch and everything in it. car was all stock when purchased, but it could be false information). The bushing/bearing isn't bronze because it's magnetic.

Edit: I also don't have any pictures of the input shaft from when I removed the transmission (wasn't thinking about it at all). Here's the only picture I have of where you can even see the input shaft...

Clutch dragging?-6l08m.jpg
Old 10-02-2011, 11:42 AM
Village Troll

Well I'm pretty sure that is a bushing. Perhaps it has a mixture of metals? Dunno...
Old 10-02-2011, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

I have no clue. Hopefully it didn't mess up the tip of my input shaft. I'm going to pull it out next Saturday and replace the bushing that is in it now, and re-do everything. I'll take a lot of pictures this time and post them.

Here's some pictures of my flywheel, before and after resurfacing:

Clutch dragging?-zao4o.jpg

Clutch dragging?-9abnj.jpg

Clutch dragging?-mqsrt.jpg

Not sure how reputable the shop is that did it (they are the only one within an hour drive that is able to resurface a flywheel).

Thanks again
Old 10-10-2011, 09:04 AM
On The Tree

Ok, so everything is back to normal now. I pulled the tranny friday and finished it all up saturday. The resurfaced flywheel I just put in had hot spots all over it. I went to advance and put in a new performance clutch flywheel. The pilot bushing didn't look distorted, but I replaced it anyways (only $3). With the new pre-bled clutch hydraulics I put in, the plastic straps never broke on the slave rod, so I ended up having to cut them. Once everything was bolted back together, no more clutch dragging. Shifts great and clutch engages smoothly like it should. The clutch pedal no longer vibrates. Also, no more problems going into reverse.

My only concerns now are these:

Input shaft damage
Clutch dragging?-ncsyk.jpg

What's up with this spot on the pressure plate?
Clutch dragging?-wvpe9.jpg

Any advice on these two images?
Old 10-10-2011, 09:17 AM
Village Troll

That input shaft may eat away at the pilot bushing. Dunno for sure. Was the PP ever dropped?
Old 10-10-2011, 09:32 AM
On The Tree

No the PP wasn't ever dropped. I'm assuming it came this way from CC because it has paint over where it is "chipped". It doesn't vibrate or anything, no issues at all.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:04 PM
Staging Lane

id agree with the PB getting destroyed, the first trans I ever pulled I used the bolts to draw it in, guess what its the last time i ever put a bolt in a transmission without it being all the way flush with the block
Old 10-12-2011, 08:33 AM
On The Tree

Ugh. I just realized my clutch pedal is engaging at the very top of the pedal? The clutch disk wasn't worn when I looked at it. Should I just invest in an adjustable MC? All of these problems are extremely aggravating. I just want the damn thing to be right so I can move on to other projects with the car.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:40 PM
On The Tree

Well, the transmission has been removed (again). I'm going to be pulling the input shaft out to send to Jason@TDP to be re-tipped. What is the best way about removing the input shaft? Also, anything I should replace since I'm there?

Quick Reply: Clutch dragging?