LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Intake Mod for Injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 01:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake Mod for Injectors?

I have been playing with some ideas regarding the fitment problem with most aftermarket injectors and I notice something and couldnt find anything about it being done before on any forum or search so I thought I would see why!

Underneath the fuel rails where the bolts screw into the manifold there are 4 little raised surfaces with the bolt holes in the center. They are raised approximately 1/8" to 3/16" from the manifold and the fuel rails actually rest on them. I also noticed that the injectors are about 1/8" shorter than stock and therefore we have fitment issues and A LOT of people dont use retainers or ANYTHING.

Is it possible to grind down those 4 raise surfaces about the height of the injectors? It will lower the rails and in turn seat the injectors into the rails/manifold MUCH better, but the lack of threads on people doing this worry me, so I wanted to see if anyone had done this, heard of this, or heard why it shouldnt be done? If so please let me know, if not then I will do it and post the results!

Discuss! lol
Old 09-23-2011, 03:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Now you're making me nervous. Which aftermarket injectors have fitment problems? My 42 # injectors go in this week! But then again with the way my build is going it wouldn't surprise me if there was another problem....
Old 09-23-2011, 04:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you buy the right injectors they will fit fine. People have been replacing injectors in LT1s for 18 years now. Half the problems you see are from people buying brand X injector and "hoping" they will fit because they got them at a cheap price or are a take-off from some other stock car that they got for free from their buddy, or budget "performance" injectors off of eBay. Get the right injectors and you won't have a problem.

My Lucas 42#s fit just fine - no clips, no modding, no nothing - because they are a QUALITY injector.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:40 AM
12 Second Club

lol, ok here...let me rephrase.

I have a set of 42# Racetronix Injectors. They don't necessarily have a fitment "problem" they are just about an 1/8" shorter than stock injectors...still fit good just like my 30# SVO's did.

I am doing some mods to my intake manifold that are STRICTLY appearance only and want the top of my fuel rails to be flush with the top of the intake manifold. I also had the 5 bars on the top of the manifold shaved off so that the center is flat but the fuel rails sit approximately 1/8" above where I WANT then to sit for the mod that I am doing.

That is where I thought of the idea of lowering the fuel rails slightly. I just basically want to make sure that if I do it that I am not going to cause any damage or problems with my setup.

Rob94Hawk, I am sure your injectors will be fine, I am just a perfectionist and am doing a bit of dress & appearance to my car...I want it to look damn good. lol
Old 09-23-2011, 06:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Seems like a ton of work for an eighth of an inch that only you will notice.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:00 AM
12 Second Club

lol Yeah I know, but that is how I am...I am huge on appearance and if I DIDNT do this then when it is all said and done the gap I would have would drive me NUTS! lol. It will look amazing in the end I just want to make sure I am not going to hurt anything...In MY mind all it does is make the injectors fit like stock ones did but I just wanted outside experience in case someone did it and it didnt work lol
Old 09-23-2011, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

How about taking a picture so I can see how low you rail is sitting?

I run accell in one car and the fit is perfect even with the harness tucked. I also run a set of siemein and they fit just as good and the rail is perfectly level with the intake. Not sure why your injectors are shorter. I would sell and get a diffrent set before I started grinding
Old 09-23-2011, 10:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is interesting to me as when I was shopping for injectors, the newer style at least are slightly longer than the fat injectors our motors use. I could have saved $100 on injectors if I could run the newer style, but they were taller. So this is neat, you have the reverse issue I was thinking I'd see.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I have those 42 racetronix too and they are shorter than my previous 30lb SVOs. I think you can do what you want to do without issues. The only issue I could see is if you later wanted to go to a longer injector than you wouldn't have the space.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28Camaro30Ann
lol, ok here...let me rephrase.

I have a set of 42# Racetronix Injectors. They don't necessarily have a fitment "problem" they are just about an 1/8" shorter than stock injectors...still fit good just like my 30# SVO's did.

I am doing some mods to my intake manifold that are STRICTLY appearance only and want the top of my fuel rails to be flush with the top of the intake manifold. I also had the 5 bars on the top of the manifold shaved off so that the center is flat but the fuel rails sit approximately 1/8" above where I WANT then to sit for the mod that I am doing.

That is where I thought of the idea of lowering the fuel rails slightly. I just basically want to make sure that if I do it that I am not going to cause any damage or problems with my setup.

Rob94Hawk, I am sure your injectors will be fine, I am just a perfectionist and am doing a bit of dress & appearance to my car...I want it to look damn good. lol
These are the injectors that I have. Glad to know they fit.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:50 AM
12 Second Club

Well here is the deal lol, y'all are focusing on the wrong part of this post haha. My 30# SVO's were slightly shorter than stock as well and worked GREAT! I loved them! These are the same length as the SVO's and the length of the injector doesnt necessarily bother me it was just an observation. Even if the injectors were stock length I would still be trying to figure out how to do this mod...

Basically underneath the fuel rails are 4 little flat spots that the fuel rails actually rest on when bolted down...the bolt holes actually go into these flat spots and they are raised up slightly from the actual manifold and they make the top of my rails sit above the manifold itself. The raised bars on the top of my manifold have been shaved off to make the entire top of the manifold flat because I am having a custom plate made to bolt onto the top of the manifold. When I set the plate on top of the manifold to check fitment it was raised up some and didnt sit flush which bothers me, and it was because the fuel rails are barely raised above the manifold when the bars are shaved off...because of this I want to lower my fuel rails to make it all level however I want to make sure that this isnt gonna cause a problem. THAT is my question lmao. I will send pics when I get my manifold back from the machine shop because I am having it opened up, but the measurements I am talking about are tiny...1/16" to 1/8" max

Quick Reply: Intake Mod for Injectors?