LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

sometimes my car makes me look stupid....starter dead spot?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 05:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default sometimes my car makes me look stupid....starter dead spot?

so you may have seen in my other thread where i was having major AC issues and have been at the shop several times in the last week. anyway just now i went out to my car to see if the AC was still cold and it wouldn't start

it was acting like it was in gear except when i turned the key i'd hear a bit of a whine from the front of the car. i thought maybe the guys at the shop unplugged the starter to change the compressor and when they plugged it back in maybe somehow after driving it home and washing it (not the motor, although i did wipe down the shock towers), the starter cable wasn't getting a good connection or something. i called the shop to ask them if they had disconnected the starter and the guy who worked on the car wasn't there, i wanted to show the guy i was on the phone with what the car was doing so i held teh phone out over the windshield and turned on the ignition and the car started. I felt like an idiot. i told the guy i swore i tried starting it 3-4 times, disconnected/reconnected the battery and tried again before i called. oh well. i seem to recall my car doing this once before several years ago and then it went away as mysteriously as it started happening. does that sound like a bad spot on the starter?

Last edited by 1995blacktattop; 09-23-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
so you may have seen in my other thread where i was having major AC issues and have been at the shop several times in the last week. anyway just now i went out to my car to see if the AC was still cold and it wouldn't start

it was acting like it was in gear except when i turned the key i'd hear a bit of a whine from the front of the car. i thought maybe the guys at the shop unplugged the starter to change the compressor and when they plugged it back in maybe somehow after driving it home and washing it (not the motor, although i did wipe down the shock towers), the starter cable wasn't getting a good connection or something. i called the shop to ask them if they had disconnected the starter and the guy who worked on the car wasn't there, i wanted to show the guy i was on the phone with what the car was doing so i held teh phone out over the windshield and turned on the ignition and the car started. I felt like an idiot. i told the guy i swore i tried starting it 3-4 times, disconnected/reconnected the battery and tried again before i called. oh well. i seem to recall my car doing this once before several years ago and then it went away as mysteriously as it started happening. does that sound like a bad spot on the starter?
Does it sound like the starter motor is spinning? Sometimes solenoids go bad and wont engage the starter gear into the flexplate. Thatll sound like whinning from the starter motor. How old and how many miles are on the starter? Crawl under the car and check to see if the wires are all intact and in good shape. Or if the next time this happens smack the starter and see if it engages.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it sounded like something was humming. i didn't hear the normal starter sound though. whatever it was went away. the starter has at least 50k mi since thats how long i've owned the car but with 134k i don't think its the original starter.

Quick Reply: sometimes my car makes me look stupid....starter dead spot?