LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

How much Gain with UDP & EWP

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 08:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by stevo9389
seriously was that statement necessary?

ok, real world experience. yea i noticed it. i noticed that one charging system trying to support two vehicles. never thought an electric water pump was as significant.

great some useful information. thanks for the tip. i will now proceed to learn something new. couldn't you have just posted this in the first place?

I have posted this stuff over and over and over and the vast majority refuse to understand. Look at my join date, been around the block. Paid the $12 to download the SAE documents. I didn't put together a all comforts retained heads/cam b-body that runs faster than most heads/cam f-bodies by being dumb.

Last edited by 96capricemgr; 10-02-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
i have posted this stuff over and over and over and the vast majority refuse to understand.

then go away!
Old 10-02-2011, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put on the the underdrive pulley for an ENTIRELY different reason. It slows downs the power steering pump. It increases steering effort marginally(which I like), BUT it's real worth was keeping the power steering from overheating during autocross which I was into at the time. That being said, there was no gain at the 1/4mile track.

Also, the .1 gain from removing the belt is from NOT driving the alternator. The power steering pump only draws 1-2 HP. The AC is free wheeling, but the alternator is dragging down power.

What the same tenth, but don't won't to pull the belt? Put a simple toggle switch on the field wire of the alternator. It gained me 5 rwhp and 10 ft/lbs on the dyno, and the tenth in the 1/4mile.

BTW, my CSI pump has been on the car and trouble-free for a decade. Gained me 8 rwhp and 12 ft/lbs on the dyno.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts

You sit at a desk for a living don't you? No comprehension of how things function, a very sad epidemic.
The electric pump draws far less power from the engine than mechanical because it moves far less water at mid to high rpms, any belief to the contrary is belief in perpetual motion. You can not change forms of energy and get more work back out of it.
Dwayne

What I do for a living has nothing to do with this thread, although your impression could not be further from fact. Again you stoop to just being a punk *** arrogant self-righteous know it all spouting off crap.

"Cannot change forms of energy and get work back out of it"....ah gearing, leverage are 2 examples of this effect.

A EWP is looking for 7 amps which would, under your $12 downloaded graduate course, draw what… .000000xxx HP more from the engine due to the increased load of an alternator spitting out 135 amps. WTF.

You have an opinion fine but STFU with yourself righteous know it all attitude.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 94FBIRD

Also, the .1 gain from removing the belt is from NOT driving the alternator. The power steering pump only draws 1-2 HP. The AC is free wheeling, but the alternator is dragging down power.

What the same tenth, but don't won't to pull the belt? Put a simple toggle switch on the field wire of the alternator. It gained me 5 rwhp and 10 ft/lbs on the dyno, and the tenth in the 1/4mile.
I forgot to add the switch will cut the alternator, allowing it to freewheel and saving the HP.

I'm surprised no one knows this anymore. Back in the day, us TPI F-guys all did it. We were looking for any tenth we could to beat back those damn 5.0 Mustangs.

Don't believe the alternator can pull that much HP? Next time your in your car with both windows up, press both window switches 'UP'. Your motor will drop in RPM. That is alternator drag on the motor. See how the alternator can pull the HP?

If you don't want to install a switch at the track simply unplug the alternator before a run. Plug in after picking up the timeslip.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 94FBIRD
the field wire of the alternator.
which one is this?
Old 10-03-2011, 05:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LSWHO
which one is this?
The only small gauge wire on the bottom rear of the alt body which can not be reached unless you first remove it assuming you dont have philipino midget sized fingers. Also be ready for a check engine light.

Last edited by wrd1972; 10-03-2011 at 05:36 AM.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

His car is very rarely driven so right now, mod list includes EWP, ASP UDP & ALT Pulley, Longtubes.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by wrd1972
The only small gauge wire on the bottom rear of the alt body which can not be reached unless you first remove it assuming you dont have philipino midget sized fingers. Also be ready for a check engine light.
code 50? Any way to prevent the code? Is it when the switch is wired in or when you flip the switch only?

And no. I have meaty hands.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LSWHO
code 50? Any way to prevent the code? Is it when the switch is wired in or when you flip the switch only?

And no. I have meaty hands.
IIRC its the DTC50 like you said. Everytime I started the motor without that wire connected, it threw the code. Not sure what would happen if you "disconnected" it with the motor running. Regardless once you have the code, flip your switch closed before starting and your golden.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:12 PM
TECH Addict

IIRC its the DTC50 like you said. Everytime I started the motor without that wire connected, it threw the code. Not sure what would happen if you "disconnected" it with the motor running. Regardless once you have the code, flip your switch closed before starting and your golden.
Oh nice. Then no worries. I've been wanting to do this for a while, but never actually did it.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you pull the belt you bypass spinning the rotating weight of the alternator and the load of the power steering.

The switch idea seems interesting for a car that has a belt driven waterpump so you have to keep the belt on, but for the LT1...........................
Old 10-04-2011, 08:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Underdrive pulleys with stock idle are likely to cause charging issues too.
A cam with raised idle and you wont see that negative but the only time I really see them being good is if the engine turns big rpms, enough to hurt accessories, or a road race car that overheats the PS system.

Yes folks do use electric pumps on daily drivers, and a FEW of them are man enough to admit it when the failure damages an engine. How many can't admit it?
I can admit my MECHANICAL waterpump crapped out instantly at 70mph, blew my head gasket, and hydrolocked my engine.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Again someone not capable of anything resembling basic comprehension.

Ever jump start another vehicle? Notice how the running one's idle hiccups when the connection is made? That is the extra load being pulled from the alternator, on old carbed stuff with no idle control it would lower the idle due to load.

The alternator can not pull a whole lot of load on the engine though rather than hold your hand through this and have you ignore it go out on the internet and search for conversion tables, you can convert amps at volts to HP.

There is SAE published data on the mechanical pump using 11 hp to move 66gpm though the closed cooling system.
The electrics are freeflow rated, being an impeller not a positive displacement pump restriction means a LOT. Many have documented increased cruise temps from the electrics if they view through the pcm rather than the dash.

They have their place, BUT IMO it is for cars looking for that last .1 at the track.

I have put over 250K miles on my LT1 cars all after buying them used, I know my way around this stuff.

Another point for mechanical vs electric is either you should buy TWO electrics so you have a spare, a mechanical gives you more warning and you can get them local 7 days a week.
I have posted this stuff over and over and over and the vast majority refuse to understand. Look at my join date, been around the block. Paid the $12 to download the SAE documents. I didn't put together a all comforts retained heads/cam b-body that runs faster than most heads/cam f-bodies by being dumb.
You're just a dick imo. Your knowledge comes no where near offsetting your arrogance.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by oddwraith
You're just a dick imo. Your knowledge comes no where near offsetting your arrogance.
Which is why he should just go away. Nobody wants him here. The information is on this board without him.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:46 PM
TECH Veteran

It is flat-out wrong to tell someone they should leave a public board simply because you dont like his "style" or information that he offers. The information he offers is usually sound and he does have good results to back it up.

It is no secret to anyone here (as well as many other boards) that he is abrasive and arrogant but I suggest you challenge him on your points. I personally think he is a pompous ******* at times for his presentation but I feel compelled to say he has the right to be be here and act that way if he chooses.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:56 PM
TECH Addict

It is flat-out wrong to tell someone they should leave a public board simply because you dont like his "style" or information that he offers. The information he offers is usually sound and he does have good results to back it up.

It is no secret to anyone here (as well as many other boards) that he is abrasive and arrogant but I suggest you challenge him on your points. I personally think he is a pompous ******* at times for his presentation but I feel compelled to say he has the right to be be here and act that way if he chooses.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be allowed here. I'm saying he shouldn't want to be here. He seems irritated by the people asking the questions. Why does he come here if he knows everything!? If it's so much trouble to deal with the inquisitive, why go through it!? Just GO AWAY!
Old 10-04-2011, 07:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's pretty sad how little understanding the general public has on the most basic physics principles.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

On my Formula the wire is purple. It's not had to disconnect, just use a medium-length flat blade screwdriver.

Yes, it will illuminate a 'check engine light' because the alternator isn't charging. But after your 1/4mile run, plug it back in for the drive to the staging lanes and the light go's off. Rinse and repeat.

I should mention this is a mod for non-nitrous motors only. With the load my N2O solonoids and stand=alone fuel tank require, I need to keep my alternator activated. So I haven't used it after installing my nitrous kit.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

All of you should just grow some thicker skin. It's the ******* internet.

Quick Reply: How much Gain with UDP & EWP