LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need Veteran LT1 Opinions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 02:50 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gatorhead
For all the trouble you have gone through Rob's site is setup so that if you follow his instructions you can test every system and component on the car. Digital multimeters are cheap now and required if you are going to work and maintain your own vehicle. The test procedures would have shown whether or not it was the opti, coil, or ICM. Now the ICM has to be tested by Autozone. Have them run the test 5 times in a row.
I have a hard time saying more than one injector has failed at the same time. Only if there was one down before and you just didnt notice until the other dropped out.

All that being said I would not use any other opti except DELCO or Delphii which bought Delco out.

It is only educated gues based upon your description, it is hard to tell you what it is from the keyboards. Hope you get it figured out and when you do POST what it was so the next guy can search and see this thread. Too many times folks ask, find out and never tell lol Best of luck getting her done
I will definitely post up when I figure it out. Maybe my bad luck will help someone out in the future.

Some of my redneck friends have decided that it is either a intake gasket leak, or an exhaust problem. Intake gasket should be leaking oil if its fucked up though, right? I am thinking about putting some headers and a y pipe on and that would clear up any exhaust problems. I am getting headers anyway, seems like a good time to do it. I am starting to have second thoughts about leaving it at the shop. Not because I dont trust the guy, or I dont wanna spend the money, I just dont want to admit defeat. I'd rather figure the problem out on my own. That just my cockiness and stubborness though. I'm thinking about just going through this car with a FULL tune up. Fuel pump, injectors, all filters, fluids, hoses, deleting **** I don't need, plugs, wires, coil, icm, tps, maf, O2s, etc etc. Its alot of money, but at least I would have peice of mind knowing my car was in tip-top shape.

I do know one thing, I will be putting some guages in after this mess is over. It would be so helpful to have some widebands with an A/F guage right now. A good fuel pressure guage. EGT guage. I am gonna add as many diagnostic guages as I can. I have a really cool idea for mounting guages hidden away so that I can have shitloads of guages without my interior looking like a ricer or a rocket ship. But thats another thread for a later time. Haha.

And thanks for all you guys being so quick to respond and coming up with ideas and ****. I got a lot of good ideas and even though I still havent found the problem, I sure did find a bunch of **** that is not the problem. Haha. If anyone has anymore ideas, please let me know. I will keep this thread updated. Sorry if my post is lengthy or fucked up. I'm kind of inebriated right now. I was at the races and I couldnt bring my car with me. Had to drown the hurt of watching mustangs race. Haha.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:42 AM
Staging Lane

We have a 95 Caprice 9C1 that was running like crap and getting bad mileage. It was even blowing a little black smoke out the tailpipes. I tested everything, and even ended up changing the opti to no avail. After installing a new opti, and it didn't fix the problem, I started testing over again. Started with the fuel pressure. This time, however, after hooking up the gauge, I pulled the vacuum line off the fuel pressure regulator. RAW fuel poured out the hole. Apparently, the FPR diaphragm was blown, and had been for a while. I replaced the FPR and the car ran a LOT better. So check this.

Also, on the impalassforum, there's a great video on troubleshooting the opti. It's a GM video, and has lots of methods for testing the Opti and coil pack, most of which are tests the don't involve hooking up the big expensive GM ignition testing machine, so it's a good watch. Try that, too, it may help.

BTW, when you replaced the Opti, did you install a new Opti harness?
Old 10-17-2011, 12:15 PM
Launching!

Na. I didn't install a new harness when I replaced the optispark. But the harness looked good... That fpr idea makes sense to me... Maybe I should try that. I actually dropped the car off late last night. I just called the shop. They are starting testing on the car now, beginning with an exhaust back pressure test. They said they should have an answer for me by the end of the day. I pray they do because I want to get this bitch fixed before Saturday night.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:34 PM
Launching!

I just want to get a vote here. On the simple side, what system do yall think my problem is coming from; fuel, ignition, exhaust, egr, induction, or other? I personally feel its a fuel problem. Let's hear your votes.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you have some misplaced wires when you replaced the opti.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:58 PM
Launching!

Na, its running the same as before I changed the opti. No difference.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just from personal experience when asking friends/family/even mechanics about a problem and asking about it over a site. I had a noise coming from my engine bay and it sounded like it was something under the valve cover. Took it off and everything was fine. Posted a video about the noise on here and everyone was saying the worst about it.... found the problem to only be the most awkward sounding header gasket leak. While you're thinking the worst now, it could be something that was just overlooked or something easy to fix.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:40 PM
Launching!

Ok well you know how I said I busted my cat up in an earlier post. Well I didn't. I had every intention to do so. At the time of the post o had the exhaust off and a huge crowbar about to destroy my cat. But I got pissed and side tracked and 9 o'clock turned into midnight so I hooked my exhaust back up and went to bed. Mechanic just called me.... I have a stuffed up cat. And I didn't believe him. So I did some more research. Turns out there were at least 10 other threads on different websites in the past 5 years of cars with my exact same symptoms. I have just been typing in the wrong search words due to my blind rage and over analysis. Needless to say, I firmly believe its my cat now. I'm picking the car up today, busting the cat out, and hoping for the best. I'm 90% sure I've found the problem. My anger and tendency to over complicate **** has fucked me hard once again.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:42 PM
Launching!

I mean it just makes sense. High egt's. No power. Whistle sounds. Exhaust ticking loudly. I feel like a dumbass....
Old 10-17-2011, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, at least it was something simple. Like I said earlier I had the exact same symptoms when my cat stopped up. Mine even split down the side from the increased pressure in it.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:54 PM
Launching!

Yeah at least its just 2 bolts and a big *** crowbar away from being fixed. It's always the simple **** that gets you.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:43 PM
Launching!

It was indeed that cat. Gutted that bitch, no more problems. It's ungodly loud with catless straight pipes though. I'll be needin a hooker cat back soon.... With some long tubes.....

Quick Reply: Need Veteran LT1 Opinions...