LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Catback Vs Straight Pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by earlz28
Anybody have experience w/ Hooker catback? Goes for about the same price as the magnaflow but looks slightly better imo. Sorry for the !
Heard it flows good and has good tone. I've heard it on youtube but never in person. I don't think you'll be disappointed with either one. I personally have Magnaflow and I wouldn't think of buying anything else. Has the perfect sound for me.

OP, I would do a whole catback. Although the bullets do sounds good, I can't stand the noise after a 2hr drive. That and everyone thinks your trying to race them. haha
Old 10-19-2011, 04:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive only heard hooker catbacks on a ls1 cars. It sounds good. little more high pitch and loud. I have magnaflow catback and i love it.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mississippi
I am getting headers soon. I had pacesetter LTs on my Formula. I actually prefer the sound of manifolds to LTs but power is the goal, so I will be getting myself some LTs. I think I am going for a Bassani bullet for now. Then I will get the LTs, ory, 3 inch all the way back through a bassani bullet. I love the way bassani sounds.
your in for one hell of a weekend. my LT header install was a wreck. first i broke a bolt in the head, went ahead and drilled it and tapped it.next the holes on my pacesetter LT's didnt line up with the holes in the heads, so i had to ream them out with a drill using the stock manifolds for refrence. then i got them in place and they hit the floor board, had to heat the header up and bend it down 1/4 in. then had to use alot of header wrap under the car by brake lines exc. broke an o2 censor... then melted 3 pairs of plug wires before i found the trick. by all means it can be done at home with patience. i say go for it just make sure you have a good 3-4 days to do it. have an extra ride to go to your local auto parts store. you will get to know the place well...
Old 10-19-2011, 11:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by nintythreez28
your in for one hell of a weekend. my LT header install was a wreck. first i broke a bolt in the head, went ahead and drilled it and tapped it.next the holes on my pacesetter LT's didnt line up with the holes in the heads, so i had to ream them out with a drill using the stock manifolds for refrence. then i got them in place and they hit the floor board, had to heat the header up and bend it down 1/4 in. then had to use alot of header wrap under the car by brake lines exc. broke an o2 censor... then melted 3 pairs of plug wires before i found the trick. by all means it can be done at home with patience. i say go for it just make sure you have a good 3-4 days to do it. have an extra ride to go to your local auto parts store. you will get to know the place well...
Oh I'm no stranger to putting headers on an LT1. I've put them on a few LT1 cars myself. Patience is definitely a good thing to possess for this install. IDK about 3-4 days though. Took me and a couple of buddies about 12 hours. Of course we only took breaks to use the bathroom and eat. Slept for a few hours and got back up and started again. It was a bitch on my old 97 formula. I got the emissions legal headers (no ******* clue why I did that) so all the egr **** was in the way. I wound up cracking one of the egr tubes on the headers. For some reason my buddy thought it would be a good idea to undo the motor mounts and jack the ol beast up to make the headers fit better. That just created more work. Then I broke a header bolt off in a head. That **** stayed there until I got rid of the car. Someone stepped on my header gasket, broke that **** in half. I routed my wires very well so I never had to deal with the whole burnt wire ****. I forgot to order O2 sensor extensions so I had to run without O2s for a week or so. The y pipe didn't arrive at the same time as the headers so I ran open headers for a few days due to my impatience (talk about loud). Yeah, it was a fun *** weekend. But its nothing compared to actually taking a motor out of one of these fourth gens. Thats a fun *** job. haha. Then rolling the motor still attached to the k-member and wheels down a hill onto a uhaul trailer. 4th gens are just full of fun to be had. Haha.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:10 AM
Teching In

oh well good deal get some headers slap them on... what are your laws for cats in MS? here in missouri if its a 95 and below you do not need emisions i have my car registered at my friends house one county over where they do not require cats. so the hell with them...
Old 10-20-2011, 11:14 AM
Launching!

No emissions testing here in MS. All you need for inspection is blinkers, horn, tail/brake lights, brights and dims, and a windshield with no cracks. I'll be getting the pacesetter LTs, no emissions, not cats, and a bullet. Then ill try and keep it under 2k rpms when the five-oh is around. Haha. First I'm getting 3.90 gears though. Haha.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:33 PM
Teching In

Should still sound mean

Quick Reply: Catback Vs Straight Pipes?