LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Oil cooler lines question

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 02:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Oil cooler lines question

So when my old LT1 blew up violently it messed up my oil cooler lines...the mechanic who is installing my new 383 says I need new oil cooler lines. I read elsewhere that oil cooler lines are not needed, you can run a bypass hose from the radiator to the WP and it actually increases oil pressure. Any truth to this? What should I do try to hunt down new oil cooler lines or bypass it? Is my oil going to get too hot? (I had no idea the car had an oil cooler until today). HELP!
Old 10-19-2011, 02:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh yea it's a 94 Formula if that helps
Old 10-19-2011, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Also have a 94 Formula that retains its factory (pre-95 style) cooler. Next thing I'm going to delete from it. Forget spending money to replace those. Never heard that you get more pressure from deleting it. Before I put a high pressure pump in it was around 35-40 @ idle and increased to 65-70 going to WOT with the cooler in place. It serves to warm up the oil at cold start as much as/more than cooling it.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ahritchie
So when my old LT1 blew up violently it messed up my oil cooler lines...the mechanic who is installing my new 383 says I need new oil cooler lines. I read elsewhere that oil cooler lines are not needed, you can run a bypass hose from the radiator to the WP and it actually increases oil pressure. Any truth to this? What should I do try to hunt down new oil cooler lines or bypass it? Is my oil going to get too hot? (I had no idea the car had an oil cooler until today). HELP!
You'll be perfectly fine deleting it. GM actually discontinued it as an option after 1995 so to GM engineers it was not worth keeping. The design is also very poor - one coolant pass doesn't offer much heat rejection.

You can block off the ports on the water pump and radiator OR run the oil cooler bypass hose. The hose is simpler, blocking them off is neater.

You will also need to modify the block adapter to run a conventional oil filter. This involves cutting off the tops of the two bolts on the adapter (a quick search will show you exactly what you need to cut off).

Quick Reply: Oil cooler lines question