LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

water pump

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 04:37 PM
LTX
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default water pump

my pump is leaking from the weep hole, how long can i drive it before it completely goes out? i know im getting it fixed this sat, just wondering how long itll last cause i have to drive across the city(26miles) tomorrow.

Thanks
Old 10-19-2011, 04:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Could last awhile, could catastrophically fail tomorrow.

If it's a slow drip you'll probably make it, but don't quote me.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:49 PM
LTX
Launching!

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Could last awhile, could catastrophically fail tomorrow.

If it's a slow drip you'll probably make it, but don't quote me.

btw should i go with electric or stock replacement? if i go electric it looks like it would be hitting my fans, not enough room?!
Old 10-19-2011, 04:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

I recommend sticking with a stock, mechanical pump for a daily driver.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And its leaking on the opti so may or may not cause more issues
Old 10-19-2011, 05:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its up to you. Electric will be much more expensive and more prone to failure, and you wont gain much performance wise. I still went ahead and got a CSR ewp. On a CSR you might have enough room to install it without trimming the fan shroud, but you will have to grind down parts of the water pump. However the hard part is the wiring (at least to me)
Old 10-19-2011, 05:09 PM
TECH Resident

There is no answer for this question. Once a mechanical part starts to fail it will continue to get worse at every rpm the motor makes to complete failure. How long ? who knows? Ive driven maybe 2-3 days with my saturn before the leaking pump went from a drip to a ****. Another time different car it lasted a week..... Either way its not good. Remeber as said before you have hot coolant dripping on your opti. I wouldn't chance it with my camaro, my DD yes. good luck either way if you decide to drive it
Old 10-19-2011, 05:18 PM
LTX
Launching!

Originally Posted by pancho toco loco
There is no answer for this question. Once a mechanical part starts to fail it will continue to get worse at every rpm the motor makes to complete failure. How long ? who knows? Ive driven maybe 2-3 days with my saturn before the leaking pump went from a drip to a ****. Another time different car it lasted a week..... Either way its not good. Remeber as said before you have hot coolant dripping on your opti. I wouldn't chance it with my camaro, my DD yes. good luck either way if you decide to drive it

True well im gonna tell the truth ive been driving it for about 2 weeks like this daily and do about 15 miles a day where i work. so i guess it the matter of time till it fails... and my opti is doing good so far.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

I am a proponent of EWPs. They offer many performance advantages over their mechanical counterparts (look up the dyno results on WS6.com), despite the bad rap they get. Let's face it, there are FAR more unreliable aftermarket parts that are FAR more common (MSD opti, adjustable fuel pressure regs, etc.) yet people continue to install them. EWP failure stories are few and far between. I'd bet for every 1 EWP failure there's at least 5 MSD opti failures.

For the record, my EWP has lasted since 2004, which included sitting idle for 3 years under a tree, and is on my current motor. I have since purchased a spare in case this one goes bad (which is only marginally more expensive than an OEM, not "much more expensive").

The CSR requires no cutting of the fan shroud - only minor grinding on the pump housing (worth the trade-off to not have a hacked up fan shroud...a smart move on CSRs part). And the wiring is incredibly simple. A standard automotive relay, a few wire terminals and some wire is all you need.

Anywho, that's that. If you're looking for a few extra HP, reduced stress on the front cam bearing or the option of eventually installing a double roller timing chain, or like being able to cool your car down in the pits by circulating coolant with the flick of a switch or bleeding your cooling system with the engine off, then the EWP is for you.

/holla
Old 10-19-2011, 05:42 PM
LTX
Launching!

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
I am a proponent of EWPs. They offer many performance advantages over their mechanical counterparts (look up the dyno results on WS6.com), despite the bad rap they get. Let's face it, there are FAR more unreliable aftermarket parts that are FAR more common (MSD opti, adjustable fuel pressure regs, etc.) yet people continue to install them. EWP failure stories are few and far between. I'd bet for every 1 EWP failure there's at least 5 MSD opti failures.

For the record, my EWP has lasted since 2004, which included sitting idle for 3 years under a tree, and is on my current motor. I have since purchased a spare in case this one goes bad (which is only marginally more expensive than an OEM, not "much more expensive").

The CSR requires no cutting of the fan shroud - only minor grinding on the pump housing (worth the trade-off to not have a hacked up fan shroud...a smart move on CSRs part). And the wiring is incredibly simple. A standard automotive relay, a few wire terminals and some wire is all you need.

Anywho, that's that. If you're looking for a few extra HP, reduced stress on the front cam bearing or the option of eventually installing a double roller timing chain, or like being able to cool your car down in the pits by circulating coolant with the flick of a switch or bleeding your cooling system with the engine off, then the EWP is for you.

/holla

thanks bro. one more problem i took my car to get the tranny fixed about 3 weeks ago and i got it back with my oil pressure gauge at 0all the time, it doesn't work. and i have the red light saying check gauges. and ive been driving and checking the oil everyday for 3 weeks. i confronted the transmission guy and he said he has no clue and that he had nothing to do with it, hes a dumbass. but what could be wrong? the sensor? wires? or something more, btw where is the sensor located? on the back on the intake manifold?

thanks.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

The sensor is on the back of the intake. Its a little black cylinder shaped thing. I broke mine installing my transmission Im sure your tranny guy did to. Funny thing is my car is leaking from the weep hole to. Im more worried about the water getting into the opti than the pump failing.

Im considering an Electric pump myself but Im about to buy a truck to drive for a daily. Does anyone know how long it takes for an engine to get catastrophically hot after an EWP quits pumping? I check my gauges religiously, but if it takes less than a minute for the car to run hot then I guess Ill wire in some kind of light or buzzer.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:01 PM
LTX
Launching!

Originally Posted by IronOutlaw
The sensor is on the back of the intake. Its a little black cylinder shaped thing. I broke mine installing my transmission Im sure your tranny guy did to. Funny thing is my car is leaking from the weep hole to. Im more worried about the water getting into the opti than the pump failing.

Im considering an Electric pump myself but Im about to buy a truck to drive for a daily. Does anyone know how long it takes for an engine to get catastrophically hot after an EWP quits pumping? I check my gauges religiously, but if it takes less than a minute for the car to run hot then I guess Ill wire in some kind of light or buzzer.

Ok thanks, what would i need to replace it, and how do i replace it?
Old 10-19-2011, 06:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

To make it easy you need an oil pressure sensor socket - that's about it.

When the pump stops running it only takes a few minutes to overheat. A warning light/buzzer is always a good idea. There are several wiring schematics available online that show you exactly what to do. If you want to get really hardcore fancy you could wire in a 12v ammeter to see how much power the pump draws under normal operation, then set a high limit to trigger a light/alarm if the pump motor starts drawing too much.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I personally would stop driving the car with a leak on the opti...that could turn out to be a whole lot more money. Don't chance it, hop on a bus or borrow a buddies car. Just my .02.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:32 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

i wouldn't be afraid of the EWP on the car.......ive had mine for 6 years now with no issues........and as joe said they do offer many advantages such as full capacity even at lower engine speeds as well as small power gains/savings............also just lightly trim the fan shroud and it will fit just fine........i run a meziere on mine with no issues at all
Old 10-20-2011, 10:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by IronOutlaw
Does anyone know how long it takes for an engine to get catastrophically hot after an EWP quits pumping? I check my gauges religiously, but if it takes less than a minute for the car to run hot then I guess Ill wire in some kind of light or buzzer.
12 years ago I installed a meziere EWP. At that time they came with a cheap inline fuse just like you would see on a old car radio. definately not weather ready. It failed within a few weeks as I was driving, I assume on start up. I had driven from my house and was on the fwy about 3 miles when I looked at my temp gauge which was 2/3. Nothing critical. I let the car cool down for 15 min and just drove home and it got back up to 2/3. Point is there was not instant catastrophic failure.

I replaced the POS fuse with a inline WeatherPac type and have had that pump on 12 years and have 75k miles on it. Meziere has since gone with a WeatherPac "OEM" type connector. If you monitor your gauge you will be fine or you can wire in some form of light/alarm if you feel you want that.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Replace those seals, right now you would only be out a couple of water pump gaskets, seals, blue rtv, and some of your time. Soon it starts to cost more than that. You don't have to go EWP, especially if cost is a concern. If you do stay mechanical check to see if the bearings on the water pump are in decent shape.

Now if you do want to run a electric water pump, there is three types that I have tried. I originally had a CSR (didn't they change names a while back) because you don't have to cut the electric fan shroud. Anyways the seal on the CSR failed and let water into the electric motor, it popped the fuse and stopped working.

I then went to order a new CSR but the wait time was like over a month so I grabbed a Jegs EWP that is still running fine, it is really long and required me to cut into the plastic fan shroud for clearance.

Also for my other LT1 motor I have a Meziere EWP, it looks pretty good however I have not run it and it seems that it will be long enough that you would have to trim the plastic.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:35 AM
Staging Lane

I love my CSR! Also when an EWP fails it is super easy to change it. If you use the stock housing you may have to dremel the inside out a bit like I did but after that you are good to go. I cut a little out of my fan shroud so it would fit.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

You can get a replacement with a life time warranty for 110 from your local autoparts store.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

^ around here you can get replacement ones for 59.99 also with a lifetime warranty. They include a new housing too. Rebuild kits for around 30 bucks. The cheapest electric one i saw is over $100 more and it was only the motor, so yeah they are much more expensive if you consider everything including what you really gain over a mechanical one.

Quick Reply: water pump