LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Throttle body coolant hose bypass: LT1??

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 11:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I cut the pipe just after the second head and welded it shut.

hakno
Old 09-22-2013, 07:54 PM
TECH Regular

The one reason I have found to not do it after 15 years of having this mod is that I got a leak from the rubber plug I used to cover the Tee off the upper radiator hose and as the coolant heated up the pressure would increase and the pinhole in that rubber plug would spray hot coolant directly on my water pump which in turn would drip hot water on to my Opti.

I suppose I could have burst the upper hose pretty easily as well, but most of us are trained to keep those pretty well maintained. I never thought of the rubber female plug I put over the tee.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:57 PM

Sorry for necroing, but just wanted to know if there would be any advantage from circulating chilled water through the throttle body.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by V8freak
Sorry for necroing, but just wanted to know if there would be any advantage from circulating chilled water through the throttle body.
The cooler/colder the air charge going into the combustion chamber the more dense it is, the more oxygen there is. Racers like to put ice packs on their intakes before drag racing to cool them down even more. If you have a way of running cold water through the throttle body I suppose it might cool it enough to chill the incoming air. With the heated water going through the throttle body it's warmed causing the air to be less dense.

GM most likely had some throttle blades stick due to freezing conditions with high humidity (water content) which formed some ice inside the non-warmed throttle body... and it was probably documented so they couldn't say, "we didn't know, not our fault." Just my guess.

Quick Reply: Throttle body coolant hose bypass: LT1??