LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Arp head an main stud questions..

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At this point what should I do? Should I back the nuts off and retorque them all to 80 to make sure they are not over torqued and causing deflection/distortion of the caps? Or Should I tighten them even lower to factory bolt spec ? Certainly they wouldn't cause an issue at factory spec I would think...? Is there a sequence like on heads to tightening the mains.. I know the paperwork says 3steps to 80 .. There is no one in this area I can trust go to for changes and I'm not broke by any means but I certainly don't have law suit money.. Flame suit On.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by defaultexistence
At this point what should I do? Should I back the nuts off and retorque them all to 80 to make sure they are not over torqued and causing deflection/distortion of the caps? Or Should I tighten them even lower to factory bolt spec ? Certainly they wouldn't cause an issue at factory spec I would think...? Is there a sequence like on heads to tightening the mains.. I know the paperwork says 3steps to 80 .. There is no one in this area I can trust go to for changes and I'm not broke by any means but I certainly don't have law suit money.. Flame suit On.

i would not back off the torque. if you run to little the bolt will come loose. remember that torque is only a means of achieving the proper bolt stretch. to much or to little will cause the fastener to fail in one way or the another.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:52 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

IMO i would run what ARP suggests..........if they say 80 with moly run 80 with moly
Old 11-03-2011, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, talked to lyle the owner at smiths performance in Holt FL a performance machine shop about an hour from here right near the race track and he knows all to well about rpm's negligence .. Because he has one of their failed motors there now, he told me since i have rotated the motor to pop one cap at a time and check the bearing for uneven shiny spots which would indicate an outta round bore.. Once more I could also take plastigauge and verify oil clearance , then get back to him.. Or retorque to 80 with moly. So that's what I'll do..

Quick Reply: Arp head an main stud questions..