Village Troll

Received 538 Likes on 390 Posts

Some good reading:

http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/show...90&postcount=1
Old 11-09-2011, 01:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lt1slowz28
actually, you want a high volume, standard pressure... or just an over all standard pump, unless your motor has the correct tolerances for the higher pressure it is just putting extra stress on everything and is unnecessary.

I beg to differ but a HV pump can be used with the stock pan.
I dont think so, if you are moving more oil with a high volume pump then you better have more then the stock 5 quarts in the oil pan. I have seen this happen to many times. If he runs the stock volume melling select pump with the stock pan he will be fine. The melling select pump has a stiffer spring in it that slightly raises the oil pressure. Hi volume is better, but he better have a 7 or 8 quart oil pan on the car. I would never run a high volume pump on a stock oil pan and wonder when it hits 6500 RPM that it might suck the pan dry. Thats just nuts. Stock pan, stock volume pump..done...run any rpm you want as long as you want and it wont loose oil pressure or suck the pan dry.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run a HV in my motor with a stock pan and run a little over 5-1/2 quarts. No issues here. The motor is together a little looser then stock clearances is the reason.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im running the stock oil pan and dont intend to run a bigger pan. I dont see the need to honestly..

Machine shop is gonna set the tolerances to stock spec is what they told me. I have the option for something different but i think stock tolerance is fine.

Any links of oil pumps i can use for my 97Z? I have no clue.. theres a lot of talk about high volume or high pressure and all that lol sorry guys
Old 11-09-2011, 05:52 PM
TECH Resident

I find it funny original Z28 oil pumps were High Volume High Pressure Bet they didnt have any high capacity oil pan 5 or 6 qts tops A small block chevy likes high pressure not high volume High Volume can actually rob power The LT1 is a glorified sbc So it sounds like the assembly wasnt done correctly Install cam bearings wrong and itll **** some **** up lol Get your rod bearings too tight and your done Unless you know how to build a motor let a machine shop do it & find one thats good with LT1 motors Texas Speed & Machine comes to mind Drive to houston,dallas or san antonio to get it done Im sure you or a buddy has a truck thats my 2 cents
Old 11-09-2011, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blackjack325
im running the stock oil pan and dont intend to run a bigger pan. I dont see the need to honestly..

Machine shop is gonna set the tolerances to stock spec is what they told me. I have the option for something different but i think stock tolerance is fine.

Any links of oil pumps i can use for my 97Z? I have no clue.. theres a lot of talk about high volume or high pressure and all that lol sorry guys
Melling select 10554
Old 11-09-2011, 06:05 PM
TECH Resident

If corpus is closer theres a really good machine shop there Your motor is only as good as the machine shop My friend is a master tech and preaches that He lives in victoria tx and takes all his stuff to corpus They all are members of Texas Hot Boats & those guys spin big blocks like most people do small blocks If needed I can get you the machine shops number
Old 11-09-2011, 06:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks!

man i hope this rebuild does it! freakin sucks having to do this. But im wanting to do it all this right way! i dont want to need to do this again anytime soon..
Old 11-09-2011, 07:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by warriorcustoms
If corpus is closer theres a really good machine shop there Your motor is only as good as the machine shop My friend is a master tech and preaches that He lives in victoria tx and takes all his stuff to corpus They all are members of Texas Hot Boats & those guys spin big blocks like most people do small blocks If needed I can get you the machine shops number
You must be talking about Rogers Precision Machine..We take all our BB stuff to them..The funny thing is that even some machine shops from the valley take there stuff to them as well..shows that they don't even trust themselves building motors..
Old 11-09-2011, 10:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

nah man, corpus is a 2hr drive for me. McAllen motormart does good work from what ive heard but, i think the issue was the poor job the previous owner did when assembling the motor AND not having the internals balanced AND using that high volume pump with out giving the bearings the proper clearance for it AND the using the stock oil pan with it.

Hope it comes out well.
I just wanna be able to drive the car for now. then mod more later on.
Currently has the 304 Comp cam with stock rockers but i got 1.6's for it. Should help some. 3.73 gears are also in and a full handling package from BMR. Cant wait to get the car back to install all that other stuff.
oh yea, wheels and tires too
Old 11-10-2011, 07:38 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

not sure where all this high volume stock pan bs came from but I ran a high volume pump on a stock pan for quite a long time in my old 355 and never once had an issue sucking the pan dry....ran high volume pumps in sbc's with stock pans....never had an issue........and that was with 10w40 which is thicker to drain back also........as for the fear of cavitation moroso makes a nice high volume pump with anti cavatition grooves to eliminate this issue........
Old 11-10-2011, 08:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard the argument about high volume/high pressure pumps for many....many years. If a high volume pump can suck the pan dry then please tell me where the oil is going. Surely enough isn't coming out of the lifters and pushrods to fill up the valve cover. If that was true the PCV valve would be flooded with oil and I imagine a little smoking would be evident.

There are oil returns in the head that will allow for a lot of flow back to the pan. The rest of the oil squishes out of the bearings and it is thrown all over the place. I'm sure it immediately drips back into the pan. With no windage tray I could maybe, maybe see a half quart of oil suspended in the air.

If someone didn't set their pickup height correctly and had it too low or high that could cause a problem. To low would impede the flow of oil to the pump and too high could cause the pump to suck some air. Other than that, where does the oil go that sucks the pan dry.

An engine will only use a certain amount of oil and a standard volume pump will free up horsepower and give all the oil flow necessary for engine life..........if the bearing clearances are within specs.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:48 AM
Village Troll

Received 538 Likes on 390 Posts

Some more reading from the same debate on cz28.com:

http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/show...ht=high+volume

Originally Posted by 1963SS
If that was true the PCV valve would be flooded with oil and I imagine a little smoking would be evident.
In order for the PCV to be flooded with oil it would have to penetrate the baffle that is directly underneath the intake which means the entire oil valley would have to be flooded. Not possible. Perhaps oil would burn if it were sucked through the breather tube and was able to get past the baffling of a valve cover.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was just kidding around. There's not going to be that much oil in the valve cover.

Quick Reply: Block @ the Machine shop...