LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Is 7 quarts overfilling it for a Moroso 20185 pan?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 04:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
NEGATIVE. The full mark on the dipstick is below the windage tray.

If you've filled the crankcase to a level above the windage tray, it's mark on the dipstick gauge will be above the full mark.

Regardless of oil pan used, the dipstick gauge does not move or change-and neither does the full oil level mark which is dictated by the engine, not the pan.

The oil level indicated on the stick has nothing to do with how much oil you've put into the oil pan to get to the full mark on the stick.
So you're saying disregard the windage tray depth and go off the dipstick no matter what pan you use? I guess the guys at canton have it all wrong.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:14 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

**** it, dude. Fill 'er up and let's go bowling!1111
Old 11-12-2011, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't get why so many don't understand. The stick is on the block and does not move unless you modify it somehow. What kind of pan,filter or cooler you use just means how much more or less oil your adding. Fill and check till your close and run it then let it sit for a min and check. I always run a 1/2 qt low to prevent windage on hard launches or corners but that's what I like.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:32 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 96TransAmboosted
I don't get why so many don't understand. The stick is on the block and does not move unless you modify it somehow. What kind of pan,filter or cooler you use just means how much more or less oil your adding. Fill and check till your close and run it then let it sit for a min and check. I always run a 1/2 qt low to prevent windage on hard launches or corners but that's what I like.
No one is saying the dipstick moves, we all know it doesn't. But oil pans with built in windage trays move the windage tray lower than the stock location and most are also deeper, which would mean running an oil level that is lower on the stock dipstick if you want to keep oil under the windage tray.

It's really not that hard of a concept to grasp... especially considering the people who make the pans for a living will tell you the same exact thing.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:42 PM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by 96TransAmboosted
Are you running a Canton 242t pan?
Old 11-12-2011, 12:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with SD24 and SS RRR on this one. The dip stick stays in the same place but the oil in the pan is in a different location do to the design of the pan.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:07 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I also don't get why so many don't get this.

The oil level below the crankshaft and windage tray is a set height and does not change regardless of what pan, it's capacity or type of windage tray might be installed.

The "filled" level of oil in these engines is just above the oil level sensor. This is below the windage tray.

Again guys, the level needs to be maintained regardless of how deep or the capacity of the pan.

Install whatever pan you choose to. Fill the engine with oil (slowly to allow it to all trickle/drain down to the pan) then check it's level on the STOCK dipstick gauge.

When at the full mark, you've put in enough oil to be where the engine needs it.

Start the engine. Run a bit. Shut it down and wait a bit to let the oil level normalize. Check the dipstick gauge again. It dropped because of an oil cooler or the filter got filled? Top off until the gauge reads at the full mark.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:24 PM
Village Troll

I don't get why you don't get this. I would suggest getting a 242t pan, filling it to Canton's six quart recommendation and see what your dipstick says. Next, fill it to full mark, get a mechanical oil pressure gauge, do some acceleration runs and see what happens. Just as simple as that.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:19 PM
11 Second Club

The oil level below the crankshaft and windage tray is a set height and does not change regardless of what pan, it's capacity or type of windage tray might be installed.

The "filled" level of oil in these engines is just above the oil level sensor. This is below the windage tray.

Again guys, the level needs to be maintained regardless of how deep or the capacity of the pan.

Install whatever pan you choose to. Fill the engine with oil (slowly to allow it to all trickle/drain down to the pan) then check it's level on the STOCK dipstick gauge.

When at the full mark, you've put in enough oil to be where the engine needs it.

Start the engine. Run a bit. Shut it down and wait a bit to let the oil level normalize. Check the dipstick gauge again. It dropped because of an oil cooler or the filter got filled? Top off until the gauge reads at the full mark.
So you're saying the windage tray that is built into the canton pan that sits about an inch lower than the stock one that you remove to run their pan does not change location?
Old 11-12-2011, 07:00 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

No. What I'm saying is the oil fill level does not change.

I'm gonna go off-board to discuss this further with some other folks with experience in engine building and racing components.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:27 PM
Village Troll

You do that. Get more opinions on the subject instead of listening to those who have direct experience with a 242t pan and its quirks. Go get 'em, tiger.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:23 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

OK guys, here it is:

I decided because of how strongly the differing opinions were defended, I took the time and trouble to speak to a few folks who earn their livings in motorsports.

Two guys own a racing machine and head porting shop, they mostly work on big and small block Chevys, LS engines and Ford and MOPAR V-8 engines. They also have race cars and have been in the business 25+ years. Their work has been showcased several years ago I think in Super Chevy.

The other guy owns and operates a racing shop, runs full body and rail drag cars as well as building the same for others. In business 35+ years.

They all agree. The oil level is set by the design of the engine block and should not be changed regardless of pan used. Larger capacity pans allow more oil in the sump but where the top of the oil level is a constant.

They’ve gone on to say that Canton pans aren’t that great and are not as prevalent at the track in professional level racing as they are in “bolt on street applications”. None of these people use or recommend Canton pans although they occasionally use some of the unique adapters and fittings Canton offers. They’re saying Stefs Fabrication and Moroso pans are the better choice.

They’ve also said that this is why they and many other pro racing shops don’t bother with websites and online forums because there’s too many big sounding people making big noise about things when they really don’t know what they’re talking about. These guys all do say one thing: Messing with the oil level is a mistake.

I have a Canton pan on my Monte’s big block. It’s been on it since the late ‘80's. It’s been a long time but I do recall having some issue with it at the time. Today, if ever I take it all apart again, it’ll get a Stefs. I used a Stefs pan on my ‘94 Formula.

My thoughts at this point? If you for some reason feel changing the filled oil level in your engine is the correct move to make, do so. If the pan maker tells you to change the filled oil level, then listen to them. Or, you could maintain the oil fill level that the engine was designed to have. However, you should be aware that changing the pan to a deeper or higher capacity pan or the use of a aftermarket windage tray (which GM calls an “oil deflector” which they installed on every LT1 & LS engine) does NOT change the factory designed oil fill level.

I’m not here to anger or **** off people. As I’m almost 50, I have no patience for sophomore or childish games and bullshit. Be aware that I’ve been wrenching on Chevy’s longer than many posters on LS1tech have even been alive.

Internet advice is just that-advice. In real world use, unless you operate a racing shop of your own, consult an experienced pro-level racing engine builder, just like I did today to post all this.

Tiger, eh? Old enough to remember “put a tiger in your tank”?
Old 11-13-2011, 05:50 PM
Village Troll

Very enlightening. Basically, what I should do, is this- Instead of following my own findings with my own pan, take your word for whomever it is you talked to with all that build cred, fill that sumbitch up to where it says FULL and go crazy. Oh hell, don't worry about windage issues. Even though it's only a six quart pan you should be able to fill it to 7 or more quarts because, the oil level doesn't change. Different style windage tray? Fuggetaboudit! Forget how your oil pressure gauge slams to zero under heavy acceleration. The oil level DOES NOT CHANGE! PERIOD! END OF STORY! ARE YOU STILL HERE? LEAVE! GO FILL THAT BITCH UP TO FULL! NOW! BE GONE!

Just who you are and who you've talked to and how old you are doesn't mean a hill of beans when you are giving out crap information that's nothing more than mere opinion.

Last edited by SS RRR; 11-13-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Very enlightening. Basically, what I should do, is this- Instead of following my own findings with my own pan, take your word for whomever it is you talked to with all that build cred, fill that sumbitch up to where it says FULL and go crazy. Oh hell, don't worry about windage issues. Even though it's only a six quart pan you should be able to fill it to 7 or more quarts because, the oil level doesn't change. Different style windage tray? Fuggetaboudit! Forget how your oil pressure gauge slams to zero under heavy acceleration. The oil level DOES NOT CHANGE! PERIOD! END OF STORY! ARE YOU STILL HERE? LEAVE! GO FILL THAT BITCH UP TO FULL! NOW! BE GONE!

Just who you are and who you've talked to and how old you are doesn't mean a hill of beans when you are giving out crap information that's nothing more than mere opinion.
I've talked to canton on teh phone about the oil level. They say to put in 6 quarts including the oil filter, then mark the location on the dipstick as the new full mark.

Apparently this genius doesn't think changing the windage tray depth would have an impact on the desired oil level.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

My thread has been totally hijacked.

I'll call Moroso tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Is 7 quarts overfilling it for a Moroso 20185 pan?