LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 swap in my 91 RS

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cprmn14
Its not turning over, the starter inguages the flywheel, but theres no combustion what so ever. No fuel blow out or anything
can you crank the motor over by hand?
Old 11-16-2011, 01:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So the engine does not turn over at all meaning it's not rotating the internals right? but the starter gear comes out and meets up with the flywheel. Does the Batt have enough charge or is the gear on the starter not meeting up with the fly wheel right and spinning in front of the flywheel and not on the teeth?
Old 11-16-2011, 02:25 PM
Launching!

VATS isnt disabled yet. I thought i could get a first fire before sending my PCM off for a tune, I was thinking it could be VATS but I thought that would either cause the pump not to prime, or prevent the starter from engaging.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jaycenk
So the engine does not turn over at all meaning it's not rotating the internals right? but the starter gear comes out and meets up with the flywheel. Does the Batt have enough charge or is the gear on the starter not meeting up with the fly wheel right and spinning in front of the flywheel and not on the teeth?
Sorry if I discribed it alittle vague, yes the internals are rotating. The balancer rotates.

And yes, I turned the balancer by hand before putting the heads on.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:25 AM
TECH Resident

Make sure you have all the PCM grounds hooked up. And yes, VATS will need to be disabled in the PCM as well.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by draggin97s10
howd you clean them, soak them in Kerosene?
I made a jig that held one in a vise. I sprayed about 1 oz of carb cleaner in the fitting, hooked it to air and cycled the injector with a battery. I kept cycling until the spray pattern was the same on all.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:26 PM
TECH Regular

Did you try spraying some starter fluid to see if it would attempt to fire? What PCM are you using?
Old 07-17-2012, 09:43 AM
Launching!

Sory guys its been awhile. But i finaaly am making some heade way on this baby. Sent the PCM off on friday to pcmforless.com and having Solomon do my tune. Snagged a t56 with 200k on the clock for pretty cheap. Not exactly what I wanted but my bank account loves it so itll work, plus with a rebuild itll be good as new. Sorry no pics yet I cant get them to download. Hopefully have a first fire by Friday or so
Old 07-18-2012, 05:48 PM
Launching!

Ok I got my PCM back today and tried to fire up the motor but still nothing.....

Its making the same sound only louder. Ive got fuel, starter is engaging the flywheel, but no spark. The sound is scaring me because it sounds almost like i have no compression but i think its because of my valves opening and closing. I dont know guys ive never heard any motor sound like this so im hoping you guys can shead some light on my situation. Ive got a video but please excuse my brother, we were both expecting it to fire right up. lol

Old 07-18-2012, 06:25 PM
Launching!

i think its no compression.....
Old 07-18-2012, 07:48 PM
Launching!

So Ive done alot of reading and I think I over-tightened my rocker arms. I didnt torque them down, I just did finger-tight plus a quarter turn. Then when I went back around I realized some of them were loose so I snugged them up alittle bit..Aparently, thats a big "no-no".

So I took my valve covers off, and none of my push rods appear to be bent, and from my experience when they bend, they bend alot and its hard to miss. But it appears most of my valves are all the way closed. So what I want to do is take the rockers and push rods off and re-do the preocess. I really dont want to take my heads off again if its a simple fix
Old 07-18-2012, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i think its no compression.....
Read up on sbc valve adjustment, it's not that complicated.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:01 PM
Launching!

I think ive got the basics of it. i got 9 pages of rocker adjustment from NAPA i was just afraid of valve slap so i tightened it alittle much. hopefully the valves and pistons are all good
Old 08-13-2012, 09:49 AM
Launching!

Well I got it all put back together this morning, turned it over and this time i had compression, which is a very good thing.But still no spark.. So I went and picked up a new ignition coil, now ive got spark but still no fire. I took a video but cant figure out how to get it posted.

I havent check anything fuel related but i know ive got atleast fuel pressure to the rails. I know that because it sprayed everywhere last time lol. But i dont know if it is adiquit pressure. It almost fired once, and sometimes the starter slows way down like its about to fire, then it speeds up again. And speaking of the starter, and one point there was smoke pouring out of it, and alittle out of the headers, weather thats good or normal im not sure. Maybe you guys can help me out alittle bit. Im so damn close!

http://youtu.be/VVsFa9jZCiA
Old 08-13-2012, 10:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ok ill take a video later on tonight.

How would i see if the injectors are pulsing?
Need a NOID or test light. The wiring to the injectors should have a pink wire as a ground and a non-pink as the pulsing hot. The hot wires are green in my 95 (although I may have the colors backwards, check for continuity to ground first). Hook one end of your test light to a good ground and then connect the other end to pulsing hot. Either put it where you can see it while cranking or have someone crank it while you hold it. If the light flashes, that means that the opti is sending the signal to the PCM and then the PCM is sending the pulse to fire your injectors. And gasohol is pure garbage. I wouldn't be surprised if your injectors are fcked, even though it's only been a year and a half.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DisasterFormula
And gasohol is pure garbage. I wouldn't be surprised if your injectors are fcked, even though it's only been a year and a half.
Well I didnt have a pressure tester but i tested the pressure valve right behind the rails with a screwdriver, and primed the pump. Nothin.

I can hear the pump prime for about 2 seconds, and last week i didnt tighten a fuel line down all the way and got fuel everywhere. So the fuel pump must be working, unless that crapped out on me too..
Old 08-19-2012, 07:52 PM
Launching!

ok i tested fuel pressure just now, and im getting 45 on prime, 41 when i turn the motor over.So at least i know im getting addiquit fuel pressure past the regulator. I tested the injectors for ground continuity, but got nothing. And when I tested for pulsing all I got was solid light.

So does this mean that I have a bad ground to the PCM or bad ground to the opti? I know the opti is giving spark to the cylinders so I know that its working. So now where do I look, this is driving me nuts.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can check your harnesses and connections.

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#opti_test
Old 08-19-2012, 09:58 PM
Launching!

Well she fires up on starting fluid. I changed out the tps sensor, still nothing. And I checked the pins on the opti connector and theres all good. And someone said the opti could might be flipped 180 degrees out of timing, so I decided to give starting fluid a chance. So I had someone turn it over and I held it wide open and gave it a constant stream. It ran very slowly, but probably because starting fluids not enough to supply all cylinders. But at least I narrowed it down to fuel, I have an extra set of injectors im going to give a shot tomorrow.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:55 PM
TECH Addict

i remember you saying you;re not getting injector pulse.. i would check the connections at the PCM, you might have a cracked or split wire or the injector connection might be loose. sounds like an electrical issue to the injectors themselves.. i dont think all 8 injectors would be bad.. they should all ohm out between 12-16

im thinking though its something electrical causing the injectors not to fire.. if the opti was flipped 180 it would run, but totally rough..

KiLLJ0y from Thirdgen

Quick Reply: LT1 swap in my 91 RS