LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 swap in my 91 RS

Old 11-21-2012, 06:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah I was thinking the same thing,just sucks the closest pick and pull is an hour away. Ill try to make the trip this weekend.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cprmn14
yeah I was thinking the same thing,just sucks the closest pick and pull is an hour away. Ill try to make the trip this weekend.
Glad to see you're getting closer man! I bet it was a relief to hear the motor start up on its on! Lol. Keep us updated
Old 11-27-2012, 12:14 PM
Launching!

yeah man it was a huge releif!!
Sorry no updates yet, calling a few local shops to get am estimate on getting a y-pipe made. Then i have to bleed the slave and the brakes and take it on a test drive!!

One question, where is the bleeder valve for the slave? I cant seem to find it
Old 12-05-2012, 07:54 AM
Launching!

So i was working on the car last night and had a bit of a brain blast.. Ive been trying all weekend to get my balancer on. I read the thread on the threaded rod through the crank hub bolt hole, but i havent been able to find the right size. So last night I took realized I never even took out the crank hub bolt, but there wasnt one there, and thats when it hit me.......

When i bought the car the opti was recently replaced as ive already stated, so he balancer has been off at one point which would explain why it fell right off. So I figured he might have just forgot to put it back in..OR he tried to press the hub back on with just the 2.25" crank hub bolt which from what I have read thats very bad.

So I grabbed a the bolt and put it in the crank hub to feel the threads and sure enough, smooth as ice. Cant beleive it took me almost a week to peice that together.. So after a few minutes of research I found out about helicoils and timeserts. Well even though ive heard good things about both the timeserts look alot more reliable
http://www.amazon.com/TIME-SERT-Metr...words=timesert

Sorry its not much of an update. Getting the exhaust done next week i hope and then figuring out how to bleed this clutch. Ive done a clutch on my s10 and the bleeder was in plain sight and from what i can see online it lies INSIDE the trans by the clutch fork. No bueno
Old 12-05-2012, 08:01 AM
Launching!

plus one thing i forgot to mention. I was doing some testing last night and decided to test my fuel system since it was running so lean. So I primed the system and my FP tester said 48ibs, then right after prime dropped strait to zero. Im pretty low on fuel but i dont think its empty, and i can smell gas pretty good under the car but didnt see any leaks. I assumed a leaking injector or 2 but i dont think that would cause a complete drop off in muel preesure. maybe my FPR.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:27 PM
Launching!

So ive been working on getting the slave bled and installed, got the clutch fork slid over the throw out bearing but the pedal is super stiff. Feels almost like a brake pedal. It has about one inch or so of travel then stiff as a rock. I've been doing some reading and a lot of people have made their slave adjustable or way the angle is alittle off. Bit the car was originally a manual so the pivot angle should be good. Anyone else had this happen? Seems like something's off inside the bellhousing or something. Shouldn't be any air in it, I bled it for Almost fifteen min until no bubbles came out
Old 12-29-2012, 09:08 PM
Launching!

I went to inspect my slave today and found out my clutch fork/ throw out bearing are stuck disengaged.. Ive tried giving the fork alittle leverage to break free but no dice. Ive done a few searches and I havent found anything similar?

Anyone else have this happen? i really dont want to drop the trans for a third time..
Old 12-29-2012, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Shoulda done an ls swap. Easier. More reliable. Faster. And prettier..

Nice looking third gen btw
Old 12-30-2012, 08:40 AM
Launching!

Eh, I think all of those are debatable. When I started the swap I had my heart and mind set on an lt1 since my buddy had a 94 Formula and I fell in love the second I hit the gas.Picked up my motor and havent looked back.

Ive went wayy over budget and I think im still under what I wouldve spent on an LS1 swap. Maybe not a 4.8 or a 5.3 but def still cheaper than an LS1 when I add it all up. But to each their own, I just hope this is the last snag I hit. lol

And thanks for the compliment Raptor, much appreciated.

Anyone got any advise on this clutch fork issue?
Old 12-30-2012, 10:20 AM
On The Tree

Looks good! Still have not finished my lt1 swap in my 85. Runs and drives just a few minor stuff to finish up.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:50 PM
Launching!

Ok so I ended up replacing the slave master, got a cheap replacement from rockauto. Found there was a small leak in the original master and i could hear an air pocket in it that I couldnt seem to get out. So I put the new one in and gave it a good bench bleeding, and installed it. Pedal felt great! Not to hard, not to soft. The pedal is just alittle high, need to make the master adjustable but im not worried about that at the moment.

So everything seemed good and I was just messing with the pedal, when POP.. Pedal got hard again.. this time I could still feel the clutch engaging and disengaging. So I re-bled the slave, no dice. So I took it out and looked at the fork, and the pressure from the TOB actually pulled the bolt out of the thread 1/4". Sooo out comes the trans for a 3rd time to re-tap the thread on the T-bolt. Yayyy.

After that I decided to do something easy for once... So I started looking at how to mount my PCM behind the dash. Ive heard of people wrapping them in towels and stuffing it up there but i thought of a new way I havent heard of yet. I actually took the old PCM mount, flipped it, cut a big chunk of it off, and it turned out like this.

I cut a groove in the middle for the lip of the PCM to rest on, and it looks like its gunna work good.

All mounted in.

Looks much better!

Ill be dropping the trans either tomorrow, or later next week. Hopefully after that I can bleed the brakes and actually drive it. Its been almost 3 and a half years!!
Old 01-16-2013, 07:11 AM
Launching!

Went to NAPA yesterday and picked up some flywheel bolts. I didnt save the old ones so I just picked up some grade 8 bolts from the hardware store. Someone said it was a bad idea to run hardware store bolts for the FW. So after a quick search I found out its very bad. lol

Only paid $8 for the set, much better than dropping that trans again.. Guess I never really thought about it being a bad idea, but the flywheel bolts are grade 10.5, and made for the vibrations. So incase anyone is thinking about doing the same thing, now they know.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:07 PM
Launching!

Finished buttoning up the trans...again. Hopefully it wont have to come out until I decide to re-build it. Today after alittle bit of trial and error I actually got CLUTCH PRESSURE! Feels perfect(pedal sits higher than the gas pedal but ill deal with it for now. Felt confident enough in it to actually put trans fluid in. Tied up a bunch of little things on the car that needed done. Just need a new prop valve(stripped the threads in my old one), and I can take it on a test drive!!
Old 01-24-2013, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Its good to see you sticking with your project even after all the issues youve had
too many times i see projects thrown away after the typical problems are encountered
SPECIALLY when it comes to thirdgens
i give you props
Old 01-25-2013, 10:11 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the props man, it really has been a struggle to keep motivation on the build. But luckily I havent been put into a tight enough spot to where I was forced to sell the car(thank god). But it feels soo worth it since im finally nearing the end. I just hope it all pays off!

Btw thats a clean thirdgen youve got yourself.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:15 PM
Teching In

Thanks man
definately going to follow this thread for updates I wanna see it finished
Old 01-26-2013, 05:10 PM
Launching!

Hopefully not too long now. Ill post videos/pics for sure!
Old 01-27-2013, 03:34 PM
On The Tree

hey man did the same swap in my 91 and got tired of the opti, sorry to say, but just completed the 24x conversion and came out sweet, check it out.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:21 PM
Launching!

Yeah I definitly see a 24x conversion in my future. I just got a new GM opti unit so that should last a few years I hope. (fingers crossed)

Just ordered a disk prop valve, should be here this week so hopefully take it on a test drive early next week weather permitting.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:16 AM
Staging Lane

Man your RS is so clean. Love the whole combo. I'd love to have a clean swapped 3rd gen.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LT1 swap in my 91 RS