LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

When sealing head stud/bolt threads..

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didnt let the rtv set, first i chased the blocks head bolt Hole threads, blew them out with brake cleaner ,then let them dry.. One at I time I squeezed a little rtv in a hole then wiped rtv onto a stud and screwed it in hand tight and cleaned off excess . Once I had one side of the block done I installed the head and in three steps I torqued to 80. And moved to the other side of the engine.

So what's the consensus on Removing one stud at a time, wraping the threads reinstalling the stud then retorqueing straight to 80? Will it screw with the head gasket? Heads are on, bolted down and engine is on the stand.. Just curious is if this was even a logical option/approach should I decide to..

I have no interest in buying $100 more in 1074 head gaskets... Defiantly will get some GM sealant tabs FoSho
Old 11-13-2011, 11:27 PM
TECH Regular

I would think you are fine if you torqued everything before the RTV had a chance to fully cure. It would be overkill to to remove each stud and rewrap in teflon tape.

But, at the same time, you are fine if you remove each one and wrap it and then reinstall and torque to 80 ft/lbs. The clamping force achieved when torqueing in-sequence is already done at that point so you should be fine if you really feel the need to accomplish that.

Also, as a side note, you should not need to buy new gaskets even if you have to remove a head after it is torqued down. The only time you need to buy new gaskets is if they have been heat-cycled in a running motor. I have known of people starting a new motor, shutting it down before it got up to temp, fixing something that required pulling the head and reusing the gasket with great results.

The only thing I would suggest is if you have to reuse a head gasket that was torqued into place is making sure it goes back onto the side of the block it came off of and also using some Permatex copper-spray gasket sealer on the gasket itself before you reinstall it. On all boosted applications I do I have been using it on 1074 gaskets with great results. It is just extra insurance on sealing. Even tho, I will add, I have had plenty boosted motors running 1074s dry. On almost all of those I have run head studs tho. If I *had* to run head bolts on a boosted app I would for sure be running the copper spray on the gaskets. I have had a few head gaskets spider in past with extreme boost and head bolts (granted that was about 10 years ago+ and have since ran studs in all apps, but I think it is a valid thing to consider).
Old 11-14-2011, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thank you kina wish I had used the spray before I torqued em.. For added insurance even though I'm not boosting.. Will spray it.. This motor is causing my OCD to flair lol
Old 11-14-2011, 10:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Shellac compound..
Old 11-14-2011, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

ive used teflon paste and super tac. Neither with problems

Quick Reply: When sealing head stud/bolt threads..