LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrical problem

when i try and crank the engine i get one click and then total loss of electricity.
after a minute or so power returns.
battery checks out. starter checks out(store said they couldnt check solenoid only the starter it self). all ground connections check out. battery terminals and wires check out.
any body??
Old 11-15-2011, 01:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a bad batt cable, connection or dead cell or cell going bad in the batt. How did you test them?
Old 11-15-2011, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by jaycenk
Sounds like a bad batt cable, connection or dead cell or cell going bad in the batt. How did you test them?
visually checked the cables and connection, also i have taken off and put back on the battery terminals idk how many times now. i took the battery to advanced and the starter to oriellys. how can you determine something like a dieing/dead cell?
Old 11-15-2011, 01:50 PM
TECH Addict

Check your Ignition switch, white box on top of the steering column
Old 11-15-2011, 01:51 PM
TECH Addict

Easy to drop down look and see if it has burn marks from it arcing
Old 11-15-2011, 01:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did advanced do a load test on the Batt? That’s usually when weak cells show up. Cables need to be Ohmed out to make sure they don’t have high resistance. You can do it with a multimeter if you or a friend have one. Also check the distribution points for the + and - on the passenger fender well real good. Is the Batt leaking any acid out the side terminals? You can take some baking soda and mix with a bit of water to form a past and dab it on the side terminal post and see if it fuzzes up. If it does that means there is acid present. Clean any copper terminals really good with wire brushes and just use the baking soda paste on the lead ones.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

doesn't matter if your battery cables pass a visual inspection. cut away the insulation and it will probably make you sick how corroded they really are. i chased an issue like yours on 3 cars: two were bad battery and ground cables and the other was a bad side post bolt.